LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Question about RWD vs. AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-15, 04:25 AM
Igoboe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about RWD vs. AWD

Hello all,

I am looking to buy a used LS460 and came across quite few with AWD system.
I have been driving my LS430 (which is RWD) for a while and cannot decide if I really need AWD.

So how effective is that all wheel drive system in LS460? Good in the snow and heavy rain?
Does is effect gas millage and dynamics of the car? Reliability ?

I live in Washington DC and not really sure if I need it.

Please, let me know what you think.

Thank you all,

IL
Old 04-22-15, 04:33 AM
Igoboe
Driver School Candidate

Also, what is the deal with L (long base) ?
Is there any advantage besides extra leg room in the back?

Thanx,

IL
Old 04-22-15, 06:28 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you dont need it and don't drive through snow that often then there is no need for it. Less parts to worry about.
I drove my rwd I'm snow with no problems. Im sure the awd 460 is more capable.

L is longer, and usually comes with air suspension, more toys in the back as well. While I love toys and buttons, I sit behind the wheel mostly, so I don't really care for that. Now that I think about it, I'm glad I don't have all those controls in the back. My 2 year old daughter would probably go bonkers playing with buttons, changing music and temp or what not.
Old 04-22-15, 06:33 AM
jeremylamb
Driver School Candidate

Listen any time your in the mountains, snow,rain,off roading, or on the track you're going to benefit from all wheel drive for sure! now it is going to make the car heavier so it stands to reason your gas mileage will probably suffer slightly but in my opinion it doesn't outweigh the cons
Old 04-22-15, 06:41 AM
jeremylamb
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=jeremylamb;9010834]Listen any time your in the mountains, snow,rain,off roading, or on the track you're going to benefit from all wheel drive for sure! now it is going to make the car heavier so it stands to reason your gas mileage will probably suffer slightly but in my opinion it doesn't outweigh the cons...and yes there maybe a few extra Mechanic to worry about but you don't really hear too many stories of all wheel drives failing. I mean I haven't any way. Turbos,superchargers,air suspension,abs,and even power windows we have all heard of them failing but not so much Awd systems..not for a long time anyway and isn't that why you choose a Lexus anyway? ?
Old 04-22-15, 06:50 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I would own an awd for sure up north. I know here in the south with rain it helps
Old 04-22-15, 01:31 PM
konradl
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up my 2007 LS460 two months ago in Mass. and I live in CT. I knew that we were expecting snow on the day of the purchase, but nevertheless, I left early and figured I'd be back by the time snow started.
Well, the transaction took way longer at the dealer than I expected and it started snowing sooner. Even though the car came with snow tires on it, I was a little hesitant on driving it back, being a rear-wheel drive car.
To my surprise, the car handled awesome! By the time I got into CT, I was super confident in the car's handling and abilities. There was 3-4 inches on the highway, minimal cars, no plows to be seen. I was actually trying to spin out a few times on purpose. Traction/stability control works very well to keep that from happening.
I feel perfectly safe driving this car in the snow and I would recommend the RWD vs the AWD, due to less maintenance, less to go wrong and better fuel economy. I also haven't had any problems driving in the rain with my all season tires.
Either way, you can't go wrong and good luck!