LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Engine Noise At Idle - Possible Remedy

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-15, 06:25 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
WTF are you talking about "time machine"? Their pursuit of perfection shouldn't end up with a car sounding like an 80s Benz Diesel. Clearly audible in the cabin, especially when I listened to sports talk radio. Sorry, in this price range, you shouldn't have to turn up the radio to drown out engine noise. That's absurd. Sounded like spark knock from a car that was running on bad gas.
My car sounds nothing like that. You must have bought a lemon. I have a very faint tick that is barely audible at idle. If I turn the radio on and introduce 1 dB on the lowest setting it disappears.
My car is so freakishly quiet that you can hear and appreciate the faintest sounds of the engine.
With your 430 you probably have a full complement of sounds competing with one another to the point where it really doesn't matter much to obsess over.

Last edited by Devh; 04-14-15 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 06:46 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
You know the perfect way to fix it? Turn up the stereo!

One thing you can do is condition the rubber seals around the vehicle with Shin Etsu. This will help on noise in general and since it does seem to get louder as time goes on it could be amplified with the build up of carbon in the engine. Something direct injection can be more prone to. Not to mention ethanol in the fuel makes the problem even worse. I suggest using a good fuel system / injector cleaner and often. The Large Dura Lube bottle is my current favorite. I run it about every 5k in my 430. It's good stuff.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dura-Lube-...16-oz/19887509
My God man you really don't know what you're writing about. The noise comes from the high-pressure fuel pumps. It has nothing to do with carbon deposits. We do not have much if any of the problems accociated with direct injection because of D-4S technology. In fact I have not heard of one car that has any of the issues. LS 460 owners don't need gimmicky additives in the fuel either.

If you do your homework you will find that almost all cars that employ direct injection have a degree of ticking. You want one hundred more horsepower and the fuel economy to go with it then you need to make room for technology that leaves the older models in the dust.

Last edited by Devh; 04-14-15 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 10:13 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
My God man you really don't know what you're writing about. The noise comes from the high-pressure fuel pumps. It has nothing to do with carbon deposits. We do not have much if any of the problems accociated with direct injection because of D-4S technology. In fact I have not heard of one car that has any of the issues. LS 460 owners don't need gimmicky additives in the fuel either.

If you do your homework you will find that almost all cars that employ direct injection have a degree of ticking. You want to hundred more horsepower and the fuel economy to go with it then you need to make room for technology that leaves the older models in the dust.
Been bathered by this diesel like noise since day one, really wish Lexus would find a way to sound proof the fuel pump....
Old 04-14-15, 11:12 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by LS2k
Been bathered by this diesel like noise since day one, really wish Lexus would find a way to sound proof the fuel pump....
It's not an exclusive Lexus issue, it's a modern car issue . It's also a double edge sword situation where the interior cabin so quiet that the smallest of sounds is appreciated. The only remedy to this is to make the cabin louder which I don't think anyone is willing to do. For me I don't feel that it is an issue at all but if it is truly annoying to some then they would be better off with an older outdated car until electric is the norm.
Old 04-15-15, 02:47 AM
hms09
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2007 460 with 62K miles and have no audible ticking in the cabin. Outside its very slight. I had a 430 which was a great car but I'll take the 460 and live with the minor noise I am experiencing.
Old 04-15-15, 03:50 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by hms09
I have a 2007 460 with 62K miles and have no audible ticking in the cabin. Outside its very slight. I had a 430 which was a great car but I'll take the 460 and live with the minor noise I am experiencing.
The 2007 engines were port injection only, so no ticking noise. I'm not sure what year direct injection was introduced, either 08 or 09.
Old 04-15-15, 05:08 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

So wait....
I own an 07 with this ticking which many if not all have attributed to DI function.
So if I don't have DI, where is my ticking derived from??
Old 04-15-15, 05:52 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

My previous car was an '02 Mercedes CL500. The ticking was louder, but only on the outside. Once inside the car, you never heard it. Based on this, I'd say Lexus could eliminate the sound from inside if they chose to do so.
Old 04-15-15, 06:51 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I cannot hear the ticking inside the cabin unless I turn everything off. That means the stereo system and the climate control fan. Then, if I bend down close to the steering wheel, tilt my ear towards the dash, I can here it faintly. Sitting in traffic where cars are sitting next to one another, if I open my window I can hear it bouncing around off the other cars.

Again, as long as it's just superficial, I could care less. I still say every single time I get in my car, I smile! Never did that with the 430.
Old 04-15-15, 06:52 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

If you do your homework you will find that almost all cars that employ direct injection have a degree of ticking. You want one hundred more horsepower and the fuel economy to go with it then you need to make room for technology that leaves the older models in the dust.
This just a theory as many seem to say the ticking gets louder as the car ages. I think you missed this part. Obviously, something is causing that. I was not talking about the source of the tick itself. Please feel free to suggest ideas is you have any instead of making comments about my personal knowledge.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-engines-.html

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ines/index.htm

Nonetheless, I have found that fuel cleaners do help clean deposits in the engine. To each their own.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-15-15 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-15-15, 07:51 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
The 2007 engines were port injection only, so no ticking noise. I'm not sure what year direct injection was introduced, either 08 or 09.
If I'm not mistaken direct injection is found on all LS460s with the exception of some middle east cars because of poor fuel quality issues. Those cars have the same variant UR engines found in SUVs and Trucks.

The extremely rare variant without DI has a major loss of horsepower and torque.

Last edited by Devh; 04-15-15 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-15-15, 08:21 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
This just a theory as many seem to say the ticking gets louder as the car ages. I think you missed this part. Obviously, something is causing that. I was not talking about the source of the tick itself. Please feel free to suggest ideas is you have any instead of making comments about my personal knowledge.
Again as usual you didn't do your homework on D-4S direct Injection therefore we can never be on the same page. I would like to say you don't need to own an LS460 to comment on it's problems coming from one of general knowledge but you do need to own or even examine a 460 to appreciate it. You are deficient in both areas and therefore your comments are misleading and dangerous to other owners who actually own a 460, so they must be challenged and ridiculed.

Shin Etsu is a rubber seal conditioner primarily used on the doors. It will not eliminate any ticking sounds. It's a good product , I use it but I find it weird that you suggest something that is completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Durable is a fraudulent company that has been investigated and taken to task by the FTC.
Modern cars can handle the negative effects of Ethanol in the fuel and in some cases cars and trucks can run on pure ethanol as an alternative fuel. Most modern cars do not need fuel additives. If the injectors are that bad then they must be removed and cleaned professionally.

D-4S injection system uses both DI and port injection to get the best of both worlds while eliminating the carbon build up associated with DI only systems. We do not have one reported case here of carbon build up issues which is something you are unaware of.

I would never come down this hard on any member here except for you and two others that want to troll this forum every time someone has an issue with the 460. Furthermore you have been accused of soliciting pirated material on this site though PM to our members. When you were questioned about it you disappeared only to return again to troll.

I ask the moderators to please look into these past accusations and the disruptive nature of the posts which do nothing more then promote how much more awesome the 430 is every time a 460 has an issue.

Last edited by Devh; 04-15-15 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-15-15, 08:41 AM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

It's not an exclusive Lexus issue, it's a modern car issue . It's also a double edge sword situation where the interior cabin so quiet that the smallest of sounds is appreciated. The only remedy to this is to make the cabin louder which I don't think anyone is willing to do. For me I don't feel that it is an issue at all but if it is truly annoying to some then they would be better off with an older outdated car until electric is the norm.
Would rather like see them adress this issue then look for an older outdated car
mine is an '07 btw.
Old 04-15-15, 08:50 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by LS2k
Would rather like see them adress this issue then look for an older outdated car
mine is an '07 btw.
The industry is well aware of the issue and they are addressing it. Cadillac is adding some kind of baffling on the engine cover to absorb these sounds. That's why I think adding sound absorbent material on our cars may actually help.
Like others it doesn't bother me at all because I know it goes away after the car is warmed up.

In regard to your 07 you do have DI.
Old 04-15-15, 12:39 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Again as usual you didn't do your homework on D-4S direct Injection therefore we can never be on the same page. I would like to say you don't need to own an LS460 to comment on it's problems coming from one of general knowledge but you do need to own or even examine a 460 to appreciate it. You are deficient in both areas and therefore your comments are misleading and dangerous to other owners who actually own a 460, so they must be challenged and ridiculed.

Shin Etsu is a rubber seal conditioner primarily used on the doors. It will not eliminate any ticking sounds. It's a good product , I use it but I find it weird that you suggest something that is completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Durable is a fraudulent company that has been investigated and taken to task by the FTC.
Modern cars can handle the negative effects of Ethanol in the fuel and in some cases cars and trucks can run on pure ethanol as an alternative fuel. Most modern cars do not need fuel additives. If the injectors are that bad then they must be removed and cleaned professionally.

D-4S injection system uses both DI and port injection to get the best of both worlds while eliminating the carbon build up associated with DI only systems. We do not have one reported case here of carbon build up issues which is something you are unaware of.

I would never come down this hard on any member here except for you and two others that want to troll this forum every time someone has an issue with the 460. Furthermore you have been accused of soliciting pirated material on this site though PM to our members. When you were questioned about it you disappeared only to return again to troll.

I ask the moderators to please look into these past accusations and the disruptive nature of the posts which do nothing more then promote how much more awesome the 430 is every time a 460 has an issue.
Again, as usual, DevH, you take everything personal. You make it personal instead of talking about the machine itself. Grow up my friend. If you don't like what I have to say this is fair. If you don't agree then say so. Don't speak about me personally. It's very petty and unprofessional. You know nothing of my experience or knowledge. I also suggest you look up the definition of the troll.

So back to the subject. Carbon deposits build up in every engine no matter what type of engine you have. Cleaning these deposits out will always help an engine run more efficiently. I run the Dura Lube product and I like it. This is why I recommended it.

The reason I suggested Shin Etsu is because it's great stuff and I use it on all my cars. It has nothing to do with the ticking noises the LS460 has. It is good preventive maintenance. You can use on all the rubber seals on your vehicle. By conditioning the rubber less noise is transferred into the cabin. Wind or from other sources.

Now as far as Lexus using twice as many injectors with the DS-4 technology you may be correct. This may greatly reduce carbon build up but it does not eliminate it. Nothing eliminates it. Nonetheless, the question of why the ticking gets louder and more annoying to many is something you have not addressed. That was the whole point of why I spoke about the possibility of carbon deposits. I may totally be wrong but I seem to be the only one coming up with ideas. Of course the injectors may just get louder over time too. Anyway, it would be fruitful to actually talk about the problem. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-15-15 at 12:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine Noise At Idle - Possible Remedy