LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I think shorted something trying to reset my TPMS sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-19, 04:47 PM
Mrcoach
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I think shorted something trying to reset my TPMS sensor

My 2007 LS 460L
Ok so my light came on saying my tire pressure system needs service I know one of the sensors probably needs a battery I hit the reset by the gas pedal it did not reset the tire pressure monitor but I noticed now if I click the push button starter button once the dashboard stays dark except showing the headlight on so either I’m going crazy but I thought on the first click of the push button start it will light up the dash and show the speedometer but the gauges don’t light up and seems the accessory’s don’t work unless I hit the button twice then all the lights light up on the dashboard.
So is the right or I’m going crazy or did I short something out. Thanks in advance for any reply’s
one more thing what does Lexus charge to change a sensor? Thanks everyone

Last edited by Mrcoach; 11-12-19 at 05:28 PM. Reason: I don’t like my title
Old 11-12-19, 05:41 PM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I think you might have set your dimmer light switch to dim, try turning it up
Old 11-12-19, 05:50 PM
Spudo769
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

That is not a reset button. It sets the baseline for the system to tell when the tires are low. You should get the tires to the recommended pressure and push it again so your system works right. In my O7 you have to push the button twice to get the accessories on if you don't have your foot on the gas.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spudo769:
ALK (11-13-19), jmcraney (11-12-19)
Old 11-12-19, 06:41 PM
Mrcoach
Driver

Originally Posted by toantran99
I will check that in the morning if that’s it your a genius and I’m definitely a moron I was so preoccupied with the tire air pressure system and it was late and dark outside that could definitely be it I will keep you posted tomorrow thanks for the reply much appreciated
Old 11-12-19, 06:42 PM
Mrcoach
Driver

Originally Posted by Spudo769
That is not a reset button. It sets the baseline for the system to tell when the tires are low. You should get the tires to the recommended pressure and push it again so your system works right. In my O7 you have to push the button twice to get the accessories on if you don't have your foot on the gas.
I understand thank you so much for the education I really appreciate the reply
Old 11-13-19, 07:58 AM
Mrcoach
Driver

Originally Posted by toantran99
Yes that was the problem thanks but I sill have the light that says check tire pressure system and I filled up the air in all the tires
Old 11-13-19, 08:01 AM
Mrcoach
Driver

I

Tires all have 34 pounds still showing this message
sill have the light that says check tire pressure system and I filled up the air in all the tires. I did hit the button again near the gas pedal still didn’t reset
The following users liked this post:
jzrodrigue (07-28-20)
Old 11-13-19, 08:23 AM
Spudo769
Pit Crew

So you might need to have your TPMS monitors checked. The button down below does not reset them. You push that button as a last step once you know the system and TPMS monitors are all functioning properly. All the button does is tell the computer that the tires are filled to the proper setting and if any of the tires fall below the acceptable range to trigger a warning. It will not shut off the warning. You will need to take the car to a dealer or tire shop to have them diagnose the issue you have with your monitors. See this post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...et-button.html
Old 11-13-19, 08:33 AM
Mrcoach
Driver

So you might need to have your TPMS monitors checked. The button down below does not reset them. You push that button as a last step once you know the system and TPMS monitors are all functioning properly. All the button does is tell the computer that the tires are filled to the proper setting and if any of the tires fall below the acceptable range to trigger a warning. It will not shut off the warning. You will need to take the car to a dealer or tire shop to have them diagnose the issue you have with your monitors. See this post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...et-button.html
Thanks my friend for the reply I’m guessing one of the sensor batteries are dead I really appreciate your time.
I don’t think I’m going to the dealer for this I hear they charge big money to replace the sensors I’m going to cross my fingers and go to a local tire shop.
Old 11-13-19, 08:35 AM
Spudo769
Pit Crew

From page 513 of your manual:
How to initialize the tire pressure warning system Park the vehicle in safe place and turn off the engine.While the vehicle is moving, initialization is not performed.Adjust the tire pressure to the specified pressure. (P. 6 1 9 )Start the engine.Make sure to adjust the tire pressure to the specified level. The tire pressure warning system will operate based on this pressure level.Press and hold the tire pressure warning reset switch for at least 3 seconds.The tire pressure warning light will flash 3 times and a message will be shown on the multi-information display to indicate that initialization has started.Wait a few minutes for the multi-information display to show the tire inflation pressures (5 tires), and turn the engine switch OFF.

This is not to say that this will fix your issue, if you have a bad monitor or other issue with your TPMS.
Mrcoach (11-13-19)
Old 11-13-19, 08:37 AM
Spudo769
Pit Crew

Discount Tire has been great for mine if you have one nearby.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spudo769:
Discount Tire (11-13-19), Mrcoach (11-13-19)
Old 11-13-19, 09:31 AM
toantran99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mrcoach
Thanks my friend for the reply I’m guessing one of the sensor batteries are dead I really appreciate your time.
I don’t think I’m going to the dealer for this I hear they charge big money to replace the sensors I’m going to cross my fingers and go to a local tire shop.
Please go to Discount Tires if they are near you. Just had 4 replaced on my car when I got new tires. They have excellent customer service
Discount Tire (11-13-19)
Old 11-13-19, 09:32 AM
toantran99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mrcoach
I will check that in the morning if that’s it your a genius and I’m definitely a moron I was so preoccupied with the tire air pressure system and it was late and dark outside that could definitely be it I will keep you posted tomorrow thanks for the reply much appreciated

You can give me a virtual beer/
Mrcoach (11-13-19)
Old 11-13-19, 02:20 PM
Mrcoach
Driver

Discount Tire has been great for mine if you have one nearby.
Thanks again for the information I broke out the manual and found lots of good information. However that light won’t go out I definitely must have a bad sensor I tried what you said but it still goes back to the (Check tire pressure system) I have a appointment Tuesday at a local tire repair shop so we shall see.
Thanks again
Old 11-19-19, 10:50 AM
Mrcoach
Driver

So today I found a very honest repair shop because I was already convinced one of my sensors was bad and I told them while the car is there rotate the tires and do a synthetic oil change. So I waited for the car after about 90 minutes the service advisor came out to the waiting room with his clip board and my first thought was here we go 💰💰 So I was surprised when he said your all set the price was 129.00 so in shock and disbelief I said what about the TPS he said everything is fine they all checked out good the problem was the air in the spare was low which kept the light on.
Now I filled up all 4 tires many times and tried resetting the TPS system and apparently the whole time it was the spare tire low causing the problem boy do I feel stupid. Why I didn’t think the spare was important or would cause that issue I can’t say but I’m great full I found a honest repair shop. The End 😜