LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Should the OP buy this car?
Yes, it's a great deal, even considering the high mileage and history.
63.64%
No, too risky.
36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Debating a 2007 LS460 with 137k miles - advice requested

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-14, 01:53 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Sounds like you've made a decision. Best of luck!
Old 12-12-14, 04:25 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

The only thing I might want to add is that you probably could buy one with half the miles for three thousand more. Then again if you could get it for $14500.00...you may have something to really think about. I'm from mass and these cars are not selling around here for some reason - they just sit and sit - then the price goes lower and lower. I had mine on the market for two months and only had one serious buyer look at it. I was asking 24k, but probably would have taken 22k (it had 74k miles on it). Now I don't think I'd get 19K for it, so I'm just going to drive the hell out of it and enjoy the thing. They are beautiful cars.
Old 12-12-14, 04:45 PM
b8b
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
The only thing I might want to add is that you probably could buy one with half the miles for three thousand more. Then again if you could get it for $14500.00...you may have something to really think about. I'm from mass and these cars are not selling around here for some reason - they just sit and sit - then the price goes lower and lower. I had mine on the market for two months and only had one serious buyer look at it. I was asking 24k, but probably would have taken 22k (it had 74k miles on it). Now I don't think I'd get 19K for it, so I'm just going to drive the hell out of it and enjoy the thing. They are beautiful cars.
Interesting. Thanks for that input. Mass is a little far from AZ (and the weather is harder on them), but even so, I have been scouring Craigslist (using SearchTempest to look nationwide), AutoTrader, eBay, etc. and this is the best deal I found.

Getting it for $15,800, with an alignment done, tires and brakes are 80%. This guy knows a friend of mine and was offered $15,200 cash at a dealer, so seems to be a decent deal. We'll see. Will probably sell it in a year anyway, hope to get about that, then I basically drove it for free
Old 12-12-14, 05:15 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by b8b
Interesting. Thanks for that input. Mass is a little far from AZ (and the weather is harder on them), but even so, I have been scouring Craigslist (using SearchTempest to look nationwide), AutoTrader, eBay, etc. and this is the best deal I found.

Getting it for $15,800, with an alignment done, tires and brakes are 80%. This guy knows a friend of mine and was offered $15,200 cash at a dealer, so seems to be a decent deal. We'll see. Will probably sell it in a year anyway, hope to get about that, then I basically drove it for free
Good points, sounds like a good deal.
Old 12-14-14, 04:32 PM
b8b
Rookie

Got it back home, definitely needs rotors ASAP. Just ordered parts from RockAuto.com and will have a local mechanic friend put them on. I realize the bushings are cracked, but the dealer swore up and down that it is not a safety issue and doesn't make a big difference, although it can eventually cause noise. I drove it home over 5 hours, didn't hear a thing. It's certainly less than the perfection Lexus aims for, but seems I can live with whatever the issue is.

This car is clean. Really please with it. The only thing of concern I've noticed is when I stop the car after driving a while, when I get out, I can smell burning oil or something, almost like there's an oil leak, but I don't see any leaks (and the dealer didn't find anything in their pre-purchase inspection).

I can't believe how nice this car is. To provide some context, I recently rented an M5 and took it on the Autobahn for some sustained 165MPH fun... burned through $250 in gas in <4 hours. Sweet car, to be sure, different kind of sedan than this, and would never want to own such a beast out of warranty. I also rented an S-class mercedes (both were nearly new), it had all the bells and whistles, messaging seats, night vision, amazing automatic cruise control that basically did all but steer in stop and go traffic (was phenomenal!)... even considering these, while this isn't the same car those are, it's still *really* nice, especially considering what I paid for what I'm driving, it's an incredible car for less than a new Scion.

Very pleased with this purchase. Thanks again to all for the advice!!
Old 12-14-14, 05:38 PM
Soldier76
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by b8b
Got it back home, definitely needs rotors ASAP. Just ordered parts from RockAuto.com and will have a local mechanic friend put them on. I realize the bushings are cracked, but the dealer swore up and down that it is not a safety issue and doesn't make a big difference, although it can eventually cause noise. I drove it home over 5 hours, didn't hear a thing. It's certainly less than the perfection Lexus aims for, but seems I can live with whatever the issue is.

This car is clean. Really please with it. The only thing of concern I've noticed is when I stop the car after driving a while, when I get out, I can smell burning oil or something, almost like there's an oil leak, but I don't see any leaks (and the dealer didn't find anything in their pre-purchase inspection).

I can't believe how nice this car is. To provide some context, I recently rented an M5 and took it on the Autobahn for some sustained 165MPH fun... burned through $250 in gas in <4 hours. Sweet car, to be sure, different kind of sedan than this, and would never want to own such a beast out of warranty. I also rented an S-class mercedes (both were nearly new), it had all the bells and whistles, messaging seats, night vision, amazing automatic cruise control that basically did all but steer in stop and go traffic (was phenomenal!)... even considering these, while this isn't the same car those are, it's still *really* nice, especially considering what I paid for what I'm driving, it's an incredible car for less than a new Scion.

Very pleased with this purchase. Thanks again to all for the advice!!
Congrats on your new whip, now show some pics.
Old 12-14-14, 05:51 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Congrats! The oil smell could be from a recent oil change - if it just had one - the oil may drip down to the exhaust manifolds and be in the process of burning off. Keep an eye on it.
Old 12-14-14, 05:56 PM
b8b
Rookie

Originally Posted by Soldier76
Congrats on your new whip, now show some pics.
Thanks! Here you go: http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/al...?sort=3&page=1

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Congrats! The oil smell could be from a recent oil change - if it just had one - the oil may drip down to the exhaust manifolds and be in the process of burning off. Keep an eye on it.
Will do, thank you.
Old 12-14-14, 09:36 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Beautiful car my friend! Beautiful car! Congrats and of course: Enjoy!
Old 12-15-14, 05:20 AM
madlad
Driver

I have a 2007 LS460L Executive for sale with just over 61K miles, Every option available for that yr./model. Garage kept, dealer maintained, rarely driven.
Old 12-15-14, 08:47 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Good looking car. Enjoy!