ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017-178/)
-   -   Changing out my coolant tomorrow. Should I post a DIY? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017/754990-changing-out-my-coolant-tomorrow-should-i-post-a-diy.html)

roadfrog 08-28-14 06:13 PM

Changing out my coolant tomorrow. Should I post a DIY?

As stated in the thread title.

Should I post pics and a how-to DIY? I did a search, but didn't see a post about this.

I was also going to do a write-up on changing the serpentine belt, but I see there's already one on that service.

Tee 08-28-14 06:18 PM

Go for it!

greg3852 08-28-14 06:53 PM

Most definitely. We all may need it at some point.

Nospinzone 08-28-14 07:43 PM

Yes, definitely, but I'll probably wait for the movie. :D

robert1408 08-28-14 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by roadfrog (Post 8690285)
As stated in the thread title.

Should I post pics and a how-to DIY? I did a search, but didn't see a post about this.

I was also going to do a write-up on changing the serpentine belt, but I see there's already one on that service.

Heck yes, I would love to see that! I've seen drain and fills on my LS400 and an LS430 we had in the shop. They had drain cocks on each side of the block in addition to the radiator drain. It would be very interesting just to see what it looks like under there with the belly shields pulled off. If the LS 460 has block drains and you use them, be gentle tightening them. You may be pleasantly surprised at how clean the old coolant will probably look. All aluminum engines are often remarkably easy on their coolant.

jud149 08-29-14 05:15 AM

That would be a great addition. :thumbup:

RodT 08-29-14 06:18 AM

YES go for it

Devh 08-29-14 11:19 AM

I would imagine if you are going to undo all of the taps including the ones on the engine block you may want to turn the heater on while adding coolant. Also I would read the service manual to see if there is a bleeding procedure. Some of the newer cars these days need to be bleed otherwise you may over heat the engine if a trapped bubble gets suck at the water pump impellers.

dlbuckls10 08-29-14 12:15 PM

Post it. Its always helpful.

roadfrog 08-29-14 02:21 PM

Well.....its all on hold for now. While replacing my serpentine belt, I broke the reservoir tank fitting on the rad. Same problem another member here had. He warned us, but I managed to break it anyway. Argh. So I'm working around that for now....have to repair it temporarily until my new rad arrives.

But wait...there's more! LOL. I also need a water pump. There was a huge clump of dried coolant around it, so apparently it's hooped too. Fortunately, neither of these parts are expensive - $60 for the rad with lifetime warranty and 55 for the water pump. Just have to wait for shipping.

Lextrician 08-29-14 02:56 PM

this was a blessing..

roadfrog 08-29-14 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lextrician (Post 8691457)
this was a blessing..

Exactly. It also explains the couple of tbsp. of coolant I was adding every week. A VERY small leak/weeping that would only have gotten worse.

roadfrog 08-29-14 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3 (Post 8691504)
Keep bang bang banging on that drumbeat, so you can keep fight fight fighting the good fight of a working car that you so innately, intrinsically and god-givenly deserve and that is a working right car along with all the righteous citizens! Happy working car to ALL!

Guess I have another DIY post to do! LOL.

Stay tuned.......water pump goes in tomorrow. The rad will get replaced next week (and another DIY!) The rad I fixed with a barb fitting and it isn't leaking, but I'll replace it nonetheless.