LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wheel & tire question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-14, 11:07 AM
JYinKY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel & tire question

Hey everyone-

I apologize ahead of time for the stupid question regarding wheels & tires for my 2009 LS460L, but I have reviewed the wheel & tire pic thread numerous times, and the more I look at it - the more these questions pop out to me. So alas, I'm here to ask you all once n for all.

I have Lexus factory 18" wheels on there now along with some Mich. tires that need to be replaced. I would like to step up to some 20" (or potentially 22") wheels (and in turn new tires also), but I do not understand all the terminology on the wheel thread (offset, center hub, etc.) and it appears impossible for me to find a wheel I like for my car, because most of you have bought different wheel sizes for the front vs. the back and also different tire sizes! How does a guy that doesn't speak "wheel" go about trying to pick out something and once he likes the looks of it, have a clue which size to buy if you're shopping at tirerack for example? I attached the pic of my last Lexus (LS430) with some aftermarket Enkei wheels on them, but I didnt have to replace anything at all with those (albiet they were 17" versions). I guess I'm just asking for advice, help from you all. Do I go to a local wheel place (there are really no "high end" wheel places around here I think anyway) and have them show me stuff, or just try and find a set of tires that appeals to me looks wise and then call the manufacture, what?

Any help is appreciated. I currently have a 2009 Lexus LS460L (RWD). Black in color.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel & tire question-035.jpg  

Last edited by JYinKY; 06-10-14 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-10-14, 11:16 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just went to Discount Tire, and they can go to any website you want, or to where you saw a wheel you liked, and they can normally hook you up. They are very quick to tell you whether the wheel you like will fit your car, or if the manufacturer even offers it with the correct offset.

My last custom set of Lorenzo's (when i had the ls430 as well) took about 3 months to come in, and they were very helpful. . .
Old 06-10-14, 02:41 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The wheel and tire thread is a good start to research what you are looking for. As for the specifics are you planning to lower your car? If so I'd suggest 22inch wheels. If not, I'd suggest 20's.
Are you looking for an aggressive (roll/shaved/pull/stretched tire) setup, or something more conservative? A good place to start when comparing wheel size/width/offset is vossen wheels. They make a great selection for the LS460 with conservative fitments. I think vossen front usually are 22x9 +30 and rears are 22x10.5 +38.
I'll let CJITTY fill you in on the tire sizes.

Last edited by is150; 06-10-14 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-10-14, 05:54 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

The LS has a lot of potential

you can do a 20" setup and a 22" setup on the car

We have done a vast number of them in house and internationally by providing full packages.

it really goes into what style you want to go with.
Old 06-10-14, 09:08 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

All of the tire sizes and what works without rubbing are clearly posted. Folks just need to take the time and read all the posts in the sticky on the wheel styles they like. If folks are unfamiliar with what offset and and other terms are, TireRack.com's Wheel 101 education page does a very good job of explaining. Quite honestly, I don't know how much more basic I can make the wheel/tire thread.
Old 06-10-14, 11:03 PM
silverone
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought 22" wheels for my LS460 and did a lot of web surfing on here and online. besides the wheel and tire thread on here discount tire was a great help. I went in and saw them with a couple of style ideas and they pulled up a bunch of different wheels that matched the style I liked. they were great about letting me know the off sets that would fit my car without rubbing. they even called the manufacturer of the wheels I really liked to make sure there were no fitment issues and what availability was. the guys on here have a lot of good pics for you to look at to get a style idea and then I would head over to discount for a closer look at prices.