LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Seat comfort

Old 01-31-15, 06:57 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

The LS 460 seats are comfortable but I think the LS 430 seats are better. The LS 430 seats are more supportive, softer and that "buttery feel" is what the 460 don't have.
Old 08-20-15, 12:36 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I decided to deal with my uncomfortable driver's seat bottom cushion by having it rebuilt. Specifically, I had more foam added. I took the car to Tim's Auto Upholstery in Duluth, GA, which might be the best auto upholstery shop in metro Atlanta (last year TAU rebuilt the seat cushion on my LS430). Seat removal took about 2 mins.; the entire job took just over two hours. Once the seat bottom was taken apart, Tim called me into the shop and gave me the option of choosing a foam with my desired level of firmness. Needless to say the car rides so much better! Now that the bottom is actually built up, I can drive with a much lower seat height (I had it set to maximum before the rebuild).

I give Tim's Auto Upholstery my highest recommendation!
Old 08-21-15, 05:55 AM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

How much did they charge?
Old 08-21-15, 01:14 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by waynedog
How much did they charge?
$200 (and no sales tax).
Old 08-21-15, 08:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I know my 2015 is different, but I find the seats very comfortable.
Old 08-22-15, 08:39 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I know my 2015 is different, but I find the seats very comfortable.
Yeah even in my '08. I've driven hours and hours in my car on several trips and always enjoyed the superb comfort.
Old 08-22-15, 03:19 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Since I bought a '11 CPO, it could be that the previous owner wore down the seat cushion. In any event, the ride now is much improved!
Old 10-01-15, 09:12 AM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Forgive me for bumping an old thread but I have some questions and perhaps need a little guidance.

I just picked up an 09 LS 460 on Monday and I couldn't have been more stoked at the time. The LS460 has always been my dream car and I talked my wife into letting me sell our 2010 RX 350 with another year of CPO warranty and pick up this LS 460.

But since, I've noticed a varying level of seat discomfort and I'm in need of finding a solution. I'm a big guy 6'6" and 250 with an athletic build. I'd test driven several LS 460s prior to buying and only experienced real seat discomfort (was sore for a couple hours after) once and I chalked that up to not adjusting the seat prior to driving. With 16 seat positions, I figured I would be able to find a comfortable position. I've owned several cars over the years and have never had a problem with comfort. Seat comfort isn't something that has really ever crossed my mind until this car.

In my opinion, the seat and back bolsters are too firm and perhaps an inch or two too firm, but I fill the issue is more so that they are stiff. Granted, my 09 has 36k and from what I heard from the dealer I purchased it from, it was traded in by a 75 yr old man who probably weighed a 100 pounds less than me.

-Could it be that the seat just needs to be broken in? Does foam loosen up over time and with use?

I'm trying to pin point the source of the pain. At first I thought it was the firm back bolsters and I was messing with the lumbar trying to find the perfect fit. And while the back bolsters are firm and perhaps a bit narrow, I'm beginning to feel that the seat bolsters are more so the issue and specifically, towards the back of the seat.

The best way to describe it is it feels like I have 2 wallets in my back pocket, though I don't drive with a wallet in my back pocket. There is pressure on the sides of the seat and towards the rear. I think think is causing the pain to shoot up my back and perhaps bother my mid/upper back so I then think there is a problem with the side bolsters. Would this make sense?

So...I've read that some guys have successfully had their seat cushions re-stuffed with a different foam to suit their needs. Should I find a local upholster in San Diego and inquire about having the seat cushion re-stuffed/re-built. There is a shop Jim's Upholstery whom I believe has worked with dealers before.

I'm not freaking out just yet but this is something that is definitely on my mind. The ride of the LS is so smooth and the car just glides. But the seat discomfort is distracting from that and I'm hoping to find a little reassurance that my seat comfort issues will have a solution. Selling the car is not an option, I promised my wife I would have this car for at least 5 years. But I need to figure out the seat situation. Thanks!!
Old 10-01-15, 10:59 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I'll chime in here..
I've had mine since late Jan of this year and I have to say that I wasn't quite in love with my seat either. To be honest, im still not, but I think it has to do more so with my-physically than the seat.
While reading your post, I got the "EXACTLY" moment when I read that you said that it feels like you have "2 wallets in your back pockets", because that's more of less how it feels to me.
And whats funny is, though Im not a big guy, 5-10, I posses and athletic build at 240lbs and my legs are wider, and it feels as though the seat bottom is too narrow as it goes towards the rear of the seat.
I almost always have to sit off to one side, slightly to be comfortable.
Its gotten better but its not the greatest. But, when ever I sit in the passenger seat, its quite comfortable.
For me, when trying to really analyze what it is about the seat that gives me a bit of discomfort (my discomfort is not to the extent of yours), I narrowed it down to a few things.
One being what I already stated, regarding the, how it feels to me-narrow seat.
Two, I think it would be great if the seats could "tilt" forward and backwards.
I used to own a Yukon Denali, older model-06 and it did that, and my wifes Honda Pilot does it also. But the thing with me, is that when I sit in the LS, my hip to knee angle isn't nearly 90deg. My knees are higher than my hips, almost like im "sunken" into the seat a bit.
I understand that with an SUV that the seat stand is already higher due to the height and width of the vehicle, but being able to tilt forward and backwards was nice.
Its one of the few features I wish my LS had.
I would possibly consider having the seat re-cushioned, but im not exactly sure that would help me.
Old 10-01-15, 03:59 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

CRowe14, thank you for your response!

I actually made a call to a well known local repair shop here in San Diego and took my car up there. I spoke to Rudy who is the guy who does their seat padding jobs. I brought him over to my car and explained my issues. He said he does a lot of Lexus vehicles though he said he doesn't see too many LS models.

Essentially what they do is add a 1" to 1.5" piece of foam padding to the back portion of the seat. That's the area that I believe is giving me the most pain, pinching my hips and driving pain up my back. He said he does that particular modification a lot so it must be something drivers struggle with. The way the seat is designed, the bolsters on the sides of the bottom seat are steep and a bit firm. Under those there is a metal bar/frame so shaving foam off that part or replacing the foam altogether with a softer foam isn't recommended. The foam is probably a bit firm for that reason. Instead, foam is added to the middle portion of the seat to raise it up and make the entire seat more level, with less conture. He also mentioned that adding the foam to the bottom of the seat will make the back of the seat feel better too so nothing needs be done to the back of the seat.

He cut a piece of foam for me and told me to drive around with it. I felt a difference instantly. I am going to continue to drive with it and hopefully my pain will subside. My back is still a bit stiff from the last few days of driving so I don't want to scream Eureka just yet but I am definitely encouraged. I made the first available appt. they had which was October 12th. Until then, I will drive with the cut out foam he gave me and I'll report back.

Hopefully this will be of benefit to other LS owners in a similar situation. Here are a couple of pics of the foam he gave me and it will be placed exactly where you see it. This particular piece is 1" thick but I might go for 1.5" as I'm a big guy. He said any more, and the seat starts to show a visible bulge. Cost is $125 and it takes 1/2 a day as they have to remove the entire seat.

Pics are dark, my apologies. I had my windshield shade in.

Name:  02A469EF-217C-411D-AE4F-D50FB29EEFDE_zpsiheigxnk.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  1.18 MB

Name:  36585A74-0CA0-4B72-ADA1-E39FAF90E6B4_zpsc8vdbman.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  1.37 MB
Old 10-01-15, 04:59 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sdwtchlvr
CRowe14, thank you for your response!

I actually made a call to a well known local repair shop here in San Diego and took my car up there. I spoke to Rudy who is the guy who does their seat padding jobs. I brought him over to my car and explained my issues. He said he does a lot of Lexus vehicles though he said he doesn't see too many LS models.

Essentially what they do is add a 1" to 1.5" piece of foam padding to the back portion of the seat. That's the area that I believe is giving me the most pain, pinching my hips and driving pain up my back. He said he does that particular modification a lot so it must be something drivers struggle with. The way the seat is designed, the bolsters on the sides of the bottom seat are steep and a bit firm. Under those there is a metal bar/frame so shaving foam off that part or replacing the foam altogether with a softer foam isn't recommended. The foam is probably a bit firm for that reason. Instead, foam is added to the middle portion of the seat to raise it up and make the entire seat more level, with less conture. He also mentioned that adding the foam to the bottom of the seat will make the back of the seat feel better too so nothing needs be done to the back of the seat.

He cut a piece of foam for me and told me to drive around with it. I felt a difference instantly. I am going to continue to drive with it and hopefully my pain will subside. My back is still a bit stiff from the last few days of driving so I don't want to scream Eureka just yet but I am definitely encouraged. I made the first available appt. they had which was October 12th. Until then, I will drive with the cut out foam he gave me and I'll report back.

Hopefully this will be of benefit to other LS owners in a similar situation. Here are a couple of pics of the foam he gave me and it will be placed exactly where you see it. This particular piece is 1" thick but I might go for 1.5" as I'm a big guy. He said any more, and the seat starts to show a visible bulge. Cost is $125 and it takes 1/2 a day as they have to remove the entire seat.

Pics are dark, my apologies. I had my windshield shade in.

Great entry here!
My only concern, and of course me not being a professional regarding this project, so its probably not an issue, im wondering how this will effect the overall leather and stitching of the seat.
Adding cushioning would essentially stretch the leather on the seat, right? Or if not stretch the leather, strain the stitching points...
Did he address any of that with you?
I'm assuming however, he's in this business and gets a lot of business, so he knows what he's doing.
Old 10-01-15, 06:07 PM
RayLS
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Very good input.
Please keep us posted with the final product, ie , stitching and functionality of the cooled/heated seat.

Originally Posted by sdwtchlvr

Old 10-01-15, 06:47 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Great entry here!
My only concern, and of course me not being a professional regarding this project, so its probably not an issue, im wondering how this will effect the overall leather and stitching of the seat.
Adding cushioning would essentially stretch the leather on the seat, right? Or if not stretch the leather, strain the stitching points...
Did he address any of that with you?
I'm assuming however, he's in this business and gets a lot of business, so he knows what he's doing.
I really don't know how much extra tension & pressure is put on the leather and stitching...it doesn't seem like it's that much though. And you think about all of the big bodies getting in and out of these cars, the stitching has to be pretty strong. But I don't really know.

Unfortunately, I have no choice. I don't want to think about seat comfort, ever. I never have before in all my years of driving. You just want to get in and drive. I've had plenty of headaches about suspension, but never about the seat. Even with superb suspension as with the LS, if the seats are uncomfortable, the suspension doesn't matter.

I can definitely notice a difference with the 1" pad but I'm not convinced that's the exact thickness I want. It's better, that I know! However, I can feel it there when I sit on it and throughout the drive. Without the foam, it feels fine for the first couple of minutes, then the sides start aching and that's when it's in my head and it's all over at that point. I'm wondering if 3/4" foam might be better. I'm glad I've got a week to figure it out. I'm going to stop back by there to see if I can have or even buy some different thickness foam samples and cut them up to my liking at home. Try different coverage areas and thickness. It's really important I get this right. The shop seems pretty cool so I'm sure it won't be a problem.

I'll keep everyone updated and will try to document as much as the process for the board and others that are having the same aches and pains.
Old 10-01-15, 07:12 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

I think this is an excellent continuation of this thread and great detailed information.
Wishing you the best and it's make ng me desire to seek out a remedy for me, as I'd absolutely love to just feel complete comfort when driving this car.
Indeed keep us updated and of course, enjoy all that the car has to offer!
Old 10-02-15, 08:48 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I'm truly shocked about the posts here referencing seat comfort. I've made numerous, day-long trips with 4-5 adults in my car and every person including myself commented on how comfortable and well-rested we were after the trip.

I hope you guys find a resolution. I wonder if you folks need to make lower lumbar adjustments? Have y'all tried playing with those settings?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seat comfort