LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What is unusual with this steering wheel ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-14, 04:59 AM
Arvid
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default You only need the 2-part LKA /Cruise button...not the electric..

...and the 2-part LKA/Cruise button did not come on pre-2010 models...so it has to be +2010.
Try sending http://jp-carparts.com/ a request if You need the same car part as I have used...Mr. Osamu Hayakawa writes english perfectly and is very helpfull...
You can reach him here:
JP-Carparts.com

Hayakawa Co.,Ltd
Osamu Hayakawa

301,580-6, Fukakusacho Shimogyo-ku Kyoto-city,
Kyoto, Japan
600-8408

Tel:+8150-5824-8061
Fax:+8150-5824-8064
URL:jp-carparts.com

I have uploaded to youtube pictures of what my set came with..

..but as mentioned..You only need the buttons itself.. ...I just took off the new buttons part and removed my old complete button with the 2 small screws.... easy peacy :-)

I also enclose a link to jp-carparts.com pricelist with part numbers and they do have 3 different part numbers for the part You need...

http://jp-carparts.com/lexus/partlis...ype=6&fig=8401

The partnumbers I find is:

No.1.:
84240 84240-50080 SWITCH ASSY, STEERING PAD, W/MODULATOR 2009/11 - UVF46
JPY 24,570 USD 258.63

No.2: (The one I have used)
84240 84240-50090 SWITCH ASSY, STEERING PAD, W/MODULATOR 2009/11 - UVF46
JPY 24,570 USD 258.63

No.3:
84240 84240-50130 SWITCH ASSY, STEERING PAD, W/MODULATOR 2009/11 - UVF46
JPY 21,704 USD 228.46

Let me please know how it goes :-)

Regards
Arvid

Last edited by Arvid; 06-26-14 at 05:19 PM. Reason: misspelling..again :-( ...+ more info and new video link to pictures
Old 06-26-14, 06:30 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Arvid
...and the 2-part LKA/Cruise button did not come on pre-2010 models...so it has to be +2010.
Try sending http://jp-carparts.com/ a request if You need the same car part as I have used...Mr. Osamu Hayakawa writes english perfectly and is very helpfull...
You can reach him here:
JP-Carparts.com

Hayakawa Co.,Ltd
Osamu Hayakawa

301,580-6, Fukakusacho Shimogyo-ku Kyoto-city,
Kyoto, Japan
600-8408

Tel:+8150-5824-8061
Fax:+8150-5824-8064
URL:jp-carparts.com

I have uploaded to youtube pictures of what my set came with..
http://youtu.be/kXRsOnbjslY
..but as mentioned..You only need the buttons itself..

Let me please know how it goes :-)

Regards
Arvid
Thank you Arvid, this is very helpful. So it's that easy ? If I understand correctly you buy the complete assembly but you just replace the button ? Did you also replaced the Hold button with the "Hold+park assist" ? If so, does the park assist work as well ? I wonder if there is a hack to keep the system running even if your hand are not on the steering wheel. I think the lka option came with the lx 570 in uae because I saw a video a few years ago about a guy doing like 200km/hours in his lx570 on the highway on cruise control +LKA and the guy actually got into the backseat and filmed the car driving itself. It was nuts...

Last edited by Vansibel; 06-26-14 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-26-14, 12:53 PM
Arvid
Pole Position

Hi...Yes ...it's so easy..... :-)
I did not change the Hold button... the new Cruise/LKA button will match the shape and colour of the large single Hold button on the LHS of the steering wheel... the Park assist comes up on the screen when the car is put in reverse ...does not need to do anything with a new button anyways...it works good as is...and I seldom use it ....

BUT: I have to remind You that Your LS MUST HAVE the Advanced Pre-Crash system and the stereo camera over the rear mirror to use the LKA....so be sure that You have these infra-read led's on the steering stem ( have found out that many ls's does not have this option in the USA.....don't know about Canada) :

Maybe I'm to nervous to try the the hands-free approach on my car to see how far out of lines it will go before the car is taking charge with the LKA...or don't ....Scary...A new LS600hL will cost me ca. US$ 300.000+ here....and I'm certain that my insurance company will NOT pay me if It goes wrong :-( .... and they dont even deliver it in my color now ;-)

Regards
Arvid

Last edited by Arvid; 06-26-14 at 08:57 PM. Reason: finally got the correct vidoelink up...sorry
Old 06-27-14, 05:52 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Arvid
Hi...Yes ...it's so easy..... :-)
I did not change the Hold button... the new Cruise/LKA button will match the shape and colour of the large single Hold button on the LHS of the steering wheel... the Park assist comes up on the screen when the car is put in reverse ...does not need to do anything with a new button anyways...it works good as is...and I seldom use it ....

BUT: I have to remind You that Your LS MUST HAVE the Advanced Pre-Crash system and the stereo camera over the rear mirror to use the LKA....so be sure that You have these infra-read led's on the steering stem ( have found out that many ls's does not have this option in the USA.....don't know about Canada) :

Maybe I'm to nervous to try the the hands-free approach on my car to see how far out of lines it will go before the car is taking charge with the LKA...or don't ....Scary...A new LS600hL will cost me ca. US$ 300.000+ here....and I'm certain that my insurance company will NOT pay me if It goes wrong :-( .... and they dont even deliver it in my color now ;-)

Regards
Arvid
Yes, my ls have all possible option including the driver attention monitor system. In canada you could only purchase a base 2008 ls600hl or a fully loaded one with apcs and rear ottoman seat, nothing between the two. So if I understand correctly, you actually only need to replace the plastic button, not even the wire or the circuit board ? My guess is that the 3 different parts would be 3 different buttons combination: No radar cruise, radar cruise only, radar cruise + lka ? As for the lka, I think that if the car don't detect your hand on the steering wheel for more than 5 sec then the system disengage. The guy in the LX video must have found a way to defeat this limitation. Obviously I wouldn't dare to let it drive itself with my eye closed but it would be nice on the highway if you need to rest your hand for a bit (obviously without getting your attention off the road).

Last edited by Vansibel; 06-27-14 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Details
Old 06-27-14, 07:44 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Just ordered the part from Mr. Osamu, can't wait to see if this work : )
Old 06-27-14, 12:31 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Wish I could write in German and get involve in the thread about this in the European Lexus owner club forum. From what I understand even if the "LKA" sign is present on the dashboard (I can see mine under the light) it doesn't light up when it's activated ? I ordered a techstream cable last week (have yet to receive it), my first guess would be to try and toy with it and see it there is a way to get the light to lit. From the lousy Google translation it seems that someone already tried ? Could also be just an unused fuse slot. I get the impression that an owner/workshop manual for a uk market 2007- ls460 (I seen 2007 ls460 with lka for that market) or a 2010+ ls600h might help alot. Just a wild guess here but maybe buying a uk market 2007-2009 LKA switch might have worked better (and replace the whole assembly, not just the plastic trim) ?
Here a vid for a 2007 ls460 with lka:

EDIT: From what I read, the connection is already there on the original assembly, it just miss the 'button' for the signal to pass. So basically you could activate it without even buying the part (just remove the plastic cover and solder 2 wire (one for each connection) and make the 2 wire touch themselves when you want to activate/deactivate the LKA - or take apart a button on a playstation controller and use it to push on the connector to bridge the 2 part together). Interesting

Last edited by Vansibel; 06-27-14 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Typos and details
Old 06-27-14, 02:33 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Are all 2010 LS600hL's equipped with this? I don't think mine has it, but how would I know?
Old 06-27-14, 03:32 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by slimjimtel
Are all 2010 LS600hL's equipped with this? I don't think mine has it, but how would I know?
From what I know so far you need the advanced pre collision system for this to work (the lka use part of this system). Look at the picture in the previous post. If you have this option there should be an infrared camera on your steering stem. But since you have a 2010 model Lexus already offered the LKA option by that year so if you don't already have it then you are probably out of luck.
Old 06-27-14, 05:50 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

I don't have that piece above my steering wheel...guess I'm SOL too.
Old 06-28-14, 04:30 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

I wonder if anyone can confirm if the bulb dedicated to the LKA sign on the instrument cluster is already present or not.
Old 06-29-14, 11:19 AM
Arvid
Pole Position

Default LKA bulb i display

Hi,
I had my car in for a service in Germany 2 weeks ago and 2 technicians would like to have a go to get the LKA to light when the LKA is engaged.... 3 hours later they gave up......they was so sure to get the light to work...and told me that that they would not charge me for a job not done :-)
The LKA light will come on when You connect with Techstream...but that's all...

Last edited by Arvid; 06-29-14 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-03-14, 05:43 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Default It Works

I just replaced the acc with the acc+lka switch on my 2008 ls600hl with apcs and I can attest that the LKA is working (I could see the lka connector on the board - it just need something for pressing it, which the additionnal lka button provide like in the 2010+ model). I also tested the hold+dedicated park button but that one didn't worked (hold worked but not the dedicated park button). Unlike the acc+lka the original board didn't had a secondary connector unlike the original acc so I replaced the whole hold+park assist switch along the circuit board but it didn't worked. Unless I didn't use it properly (I pressed it while driving - in park or reverse and it did nothing - in reverse the stock interface just popped up normally without the use of the button). Maybe some 2010+ owner with advanced parking could elaborate on how to operate the switch on their model.

Back to the LKA, I just came back from a test drive and beside the indicator not working (LKA light + lanes graphic on the center console), the system is indeed working. The 5 sec "hand free" limitation is still active though, which mean that if your hands are not on the steering wheel for more that 5 sec the system disengage, but re-engage automatically when it detect your hand again without the need to press the lka button again. I think the system work by detecting resistance on the steering wheel, which your hand provide. I tried barely touching the wheel with both hand and the system would eventually disengage. But when I applied a small pressure on the wheel with a single thumb the system kept running indefinitely. I'm curious if I can find a way to trick the system in order to drive hand free for longer period. This would be more like a proof of concept because I don't believe that this system have matured enough to actually drive completely hand free, especially if the marking on the road aren't clear or if there are heavy curves. I'll post back my finding when I test the system a bit more.

Last edited by Vansibel; 07-04-14 at 05:23 AM. Reason: typos
Old 07-04-14, 04:11 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

I can address the advanced parking button for the 2010+ models. When you are slowly pulling up to a space to parallel park, you press the button on the wheel. You will get this screen to help you begin parking. It will measure the space and put you in position to begin the hands free parking.
Attached Thumbnails What is unusual with this steering wheel ?-image.jpg  
Old 07-04-14, 04:15 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Press the button a second time...you get Back-in Mode
Attached Thumbnails What is unusual with this steering wheel ?-image.jpg  
Old 07-04-14, 05:32 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by slimjimtel
Press the button a second time...you get Back-in Mode
The interface is completely different from pre 2010 model. My guess is that button need the 6th gen nav to work. Or maybe when I pressed it is was engaged even if nothing showed on the screen. Didn't knew it's operation at the time. Would be nice to have "button geometry" between the new acc+lka and the hold button but the reverse activated park assist on pre 2010 model already work. Who use that feature anyway... That button could be used for something else though, like activate/deactivate the prestigious society module.

Last edited by Vansibel; 07-04-14 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Details

Quick Reply: What is unusual with this steering wheel ?