LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Aero Stabilizing Fins Wind Noise Fix DIY w pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-14, 06:21 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Putt
Also as time passes the adhesion might loosen creating opportunity for noise to set in
I don't think so, reason being that the new design does not have a lifting surface unlike the old design. I have worked with other items that use double sided tape which is similar to the 3Ms red and it gets stronger with time and heat.
Old 09-20-14, 06:51 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
I don't think so, reason being that the new design does not have a lifting surface unlike the old design. I have worked with other items that use double sided tape which is similar to the 3Ms red and it gets stronger with time and heat.
100%

The parts are completely different (rounded and tucked in edges), and that 3m tape gets very stubborn over time. Plus, the revised design looks real purty!
Old 09-20-14, 06:55 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LordBowral
They don't need to be siliconed on ... Just stick them on with the adhesive strips they come with and they work perfectly.
The point isn't to "mount" the part with silicone (though it helps), but rather, to seal the holes and entry points for noise/air.
Old 09-20-14, 07:46 AM
jmcraney

Received 255 Likes on 195 Posts

If your car is not a "problem car" then you can just press the part on and all is well sealed. But, if your car is a "problem car" and you want the area behind the trim to be properly sealed then you will have to do something else.
Old 09-20-14, 01:15 PM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Since you mention "problem car", I wonder if there is any link to the "problem cars"? Mfg plant, vin number sequence, or something other than they are 460's.
Old 09-20-14, 02:17 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How many plants around the world produce Lexus LS460/600s?
Old 09-20-14, 03:29 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have to disagree about the fin not making a difference . I completely changes the way the air flows down the side of the car . Also as road frog states the shape of the plate it's on is very different andi much thicker pushing the air away and out rather than what was likely a vacuum before with the very thin cover originally used .
To rid the remaining 10% noise that's left are fitting the fins I suspect you would need to replace the side mirrors with their vastly different concave face that no doubt play a large part in changing the airflow down the side .
Road frog you didn't comment on wether the steering feels better at speed due to the fins ?
Old 09-20-14, 08:49 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Road frog you didn't comment on wether the steering feels better at speed due to the fins ?
Hmmm....nope not that I noticed! Can't imagine something that small being noticeable though....
Old 09-20-14, 09:39 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
I do hope you're right, I have the new '13 piece on as well, with some extra sealant by the registration holes and vertical foam piece. The wind noise on my car wasn't that bad at all, but I did notice a diff with the new pieces installed
Old 06-20-15, 06:10 AM
bramble
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind noise HELP!!!

Hi anyone in Orange County or LA County that has done or experience with the Wind noise side triangle fix. I'm located in Orange County. Please Help!!! Thank you!
Old 06-21-15, 05:49 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
How many plants around the world produce Lexus LS460/600s?
Afaik, only one plant, Tahara manufactures the LS. It's suppose to be one of Toyota's best manufacturing plant.

I installed the '13 fin pieces and can't say I notice any significant difference (I did put silicone to seal out any openings). The wind noise never bothered me in the first place. I never got the double pane laminate window replacements because I rather not have the dealer rip apart my door panels to change out the windows. Ultimately, I got the fin pieces because I like the look.
Old 06-22-15, 03:34 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That fin is designed as a vortex generator, but its effects are for points further down on chassis, not directly at the window.
Old 06-22-15, 03:47 PM
jmcraney

Received 255 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
That fin is designed as a vortex generator, but its effects are for points further down on chassis, not directly at the window.
Thank you for sharing your wisdom. I have said that I suspect that the vortex generators at the window corners main effect, if they have any effect, keeps dirt from collecting on the taillight lenses. Many participants in our discussion seem to believe that the fins reduce the wind noise at the window corners but any improvement to the wind noise comes from improving the seal behind the trim pieces.
Old 05-26-16, 07:28 PM
whitewater
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did this to my 2009 LS 460 L. All I can say is WOW. Car was pretty quite but now its amazing. Anyone thinks needs to get off the fence and do it.

Big thanks everyone for posting this up. A+
Old 08-09-18, 06:38 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 211 Likes on 189 Posts

btw how can you tell if you had laminated windows or not?

Quick Reply: Aero Stabilizing Fins Wind Noise Fix DIY w pics