LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Over 100,000 on your LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-14, 06:09 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I dunno Tee...

On page 2 - upper right side of the Maintenance Schedule (COTCI-07LSM-25), under "Additional Service Requirements", it says,

"You're vehicle will also require the following specialized attention. Be sure to have these services performed as part of the regularly scheduled maintenance at the time or distance indicated, whichever occurs first:

-Replace automatice transimission fluid every 72 months/96,000 kms"

it's in the same section that lists brake fluid flush, coolant flush, cabin filters, and differential fluid change intervals.

I know that BMW had the same "Lifetime Fluid for transmissions" line of thinking but many disagreed with it. Also, what does "lifetime" mean? I'm leery.
Over the years this has been discussed plenty of times, some don't believe in not changing it and some do. I'm going by what Lexus has provided via the Warranty & Service Guide and the Maintenance Schedule list on the Lexus Drivers website, (See below) I put over a 149K on the on a LS460 tranny and never changed it, all service done at the dealer and inspected. My tech said the same thing you don't touch them unless there is an issue, but i will provide info below for those that want to change or have the fluid changed.

Originally Posted by cmasten
The trans section is about 500 pages, the LS volume set is 6 complete volumes... its a complicated car.

On the pan there is an overflow and in one corner there is a drain bolt if you look underneath. you don't have to drop the pan. Since it is a sealed system they only recommend draining the fluid if you need maintenance on the trans, which is also why they dont have a dip stick. The only time you would add fluid would be for service, there is no mention of changing it or an interval.

The quantity is down at the bottom, just over 3 quarts if you drain it from the pan. There must be a reason why they dont give out interval information for changing it, but I have no idea what that would be there is a drain and a filler bolt on the trans.
Attached Thumbnails Over 100,000 on your LS460?-ls460-tranny-maint.jpg   Over 100,000 on your LS460?-ls460-maint-1.jpg   Over 100,000 on your LS460?-ls460-trans-refill.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 02-03-14, 02:33 PM
korlexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sheff442
2007 LS460L 315,000 MILES! I just got mine in a couple months ago, and has been great, we made a trip to Texas and South Dakota and back to Florida during xmas. What a ride, it is just itching to cruz at 100mph. My son is a mechanic and I am a motor head myself. I just love these cars, have 98 gs400 with 200k on it and runs great. My son and I have done some work on it not all tuned up. front o2 sensors, spark plugs, and valvecover gasket set, vvt adjuster oring on front of block, and the short lower control arm on the front. I bought new and saved the old ones to repair them. I have the all other suspension parts not on hand to replace as needed. I did replace the radiator and hoses, since I broke of the expansion tank fitting leaning on it, but it was cracked already. I had the dealer service the tranny I just don't think the life is up to the tranny and I want it fresh. The previous 2 owners were busy, at least the second one who bought it and put 230k on in just over 2 years as a private limo service. They did not give the paint much love, but I have waxed it a lot. Since it is black it is not to bad. The only other major work was the rear air shocks were replaced by the dealer at about 100k on it from the receipts. It still sounds good. As long as I keep the oil fresh and synthetic I expect 500k on this engine. The dealer says he has seen that on some of his customers.
Your LS must be the one with the most highest miles I've ever seen so far.
All I can say is WOW.
Old 02-03-14, 05:59 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Over the years this has been discussed plenty of times, some don't believe in not changing it and some do. I'm going by what Lexus has provided via the Warranty & Service Guide and the Maintenance Schedule
I saw that before, but my manual is definitely different, which leads me to believe that perhaps the Canadian Spec vehicles are different. Not only that, but the lexus canada website is different:

http://consumer.xtime.com/menu6/?var...&inframe=false

As you can see under 96000 km service it lists "replace automatic transmission fluid".

Here's a pic of my service manual:
Over 100,000 on your LS460?-manual.jpg

Funny thing is, even though I live in Canada, I'm an hour from Seattle, which has the very same weather as we do. We have a VERY mild climate. BUT we have to adopt Canadian conditions for servicing. Heck, our climate here on the West Coast is far milder than most of the Eastern and central U.S.!

I tried to find the UK's service intervals on the Lexusuk website but couldn't find it.

I may just leave the trans fluid alone, as I am under no warranty requirements. If I was towing, that would be a different story. There's only one thing that kills transmissions. HEAT. Burnt trans fluid kills transmissions. Period.
Old 02-03-14, 07:50 PM
sheff442
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking flip a coin for personal preference

It appears there is plenty of written documentation, that will contradict each other, from the factory. So it comes down to an informed decision, of personal preference. I have done a lot of reading over the years, starting in the 80's in high school on slick 50, and mobile 1. I even wrote the American Petroleum Institute, API. Like I always say, information is power, the more you have the stats show you can make a better decision. Since it is filtered you may not need to do anything, There are many rigs that never change oil, just filters and do an oil analysis. I think I will lean on the side of my informed decision and change it when I think so. I am hoping it means less particles to wear the parts, for me.
Old 02-04-14, 10:50 PM
chris07ls
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish Lexus would explain the variability of their service intervals for trans fluid changes and spark plug replacement. The two dealers in my area give conflicting info on these two issues.

I would like to believe that I don't have to change the trans fluid for the life of the car - it sounds to good to be true. Did Lexus warranty the trans for 500K miles ?

The 4 other Toyotas I had , I drained and refilled the trans fluid every 15K miles and they lasted 200K + miles.
Old 04-01-14, 12:25 PM
hodgewjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you purchase the vehicle? If so, how is it doing?
Old 04-02-14, 05:52 AM
PrinceAkim
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm almost at the 100k mld club. My LS is my daily, and I have 98k miles on my 2007 LS460L. My previous car was a GS430, and I had 215k before giving it to my mom. She is still driving it with no issue. So far I've had control arms replaced under warranty, front left strut replaced, new battery, Mark Levinson Amp, and regular maintenance. So far so good, the issues I've had have been annoying, but I am thankful that it cranks up and takes me from point A to B each time.
Old 04-02-14, 10:59 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by PrinceAkim
I'm almost at the 100k mld club. My LS is my daily, and I have 98k miles on my 2007 LS460L. My previous car was a GS430, and I had 215k before giving it to my mom. She is still driving it with no issue. So far I've had control arms replaced under warranty, front left strut replaced, new battery, Mark Levinson Amp, and regular maintenance. So far so good, the issues I've had have been annoying, but I am thankful that it cranks up and takes me from point A to B each time.
Wow..100k already bro?
Old 11-21-14, 04:28 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by sheff442
2007 LS460L 315,000 MILES! I just got mine in a couple months ago, and has been great, we made a trip to Texas and South Dakota and back to Florida during xmas. What a ride, it is just itching to cruz at 100mph. My son is a mechanic and I am a motor head myself. I just love these cars, have 98 gs400 with 200k on it and runs great. My son and I have done some work on it not all tuned up. front o2 sensors, spark plugs, and valvecover gasket set, vvt adjuster oring on front of block, and the short lower control arm on the front. I bought new and saved the old ones to repair them. I have the all other suspension parts not on hand to replace as needed. I did replace the radiator and hoses, since I broke of the expansion tank fitting leaning on it, but it was cracked already. I had the dealer service the tranny I just don't think the life is up to the tranny and I want it fresh. The previous 2 owners were busy, at least the second one who bought it and put 230k on in just over 2 years as a private limo service. They did not give the paint much love, but I have waxed it a lot. Since it is black it is not to bad. The only other major work was the rear air shocks were replaced by the dealer at about 100k on it from the receipts. It still sounds good. As long as I keep the oil fresh and synthetic I expect 500k on this engine. The dealer says he has seen that on some of his customers.
Ding ding ding! Winner Winner! Chicken dinner!

Wow, good for you 300k? I hope I can do that with mine, that's pretty damn impressive. Doesn't look like you've had to spend much money on major repairs either.
Old 11-21-14, 05:17 PM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1990 LS400 with over 300k miles on it 6 years ago

A former neighbor in Houston bought the 6th LS400 sold in 1989 at one large Houston dele airship and he still drives it to his Galveston place, he has two newer LS 's now too and has owned many others but always held on to his original. His story is the GM at the Houston dealer had sold him MBs and Jags before moving to the new brand Lexus. The GM had to promise to rebuild the engine when he got to 250k on it. He reached that mark over 10 years ago and had over. 300k on it when I moved from Houston 4 years ago.
Old 11-22-14, 09:33 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by amit1947
bruceko,

The problems you've had with your LS460 in the last 110k miles are a joke. Compared to other makes such as BMW, your car has basically had no problems.

On the 5 Series, rotors are replaced around 40-50k miles as regular maintenance, and control arms are expected to fail by 60-80k miles. Both of these are considered "normal" and are not treated as "failures" in the BMW world.
Comparing our Lexus to the atrocious reliability record of a BMW is a cop out and an excuse in my book for these UN-Lexus like problems the LS460 is experiencing. Bottom line is this: I don't care what Johnny's mom down the street is doing or allows, you are MY son and I am YOUR father, you will live by my rules, not BMW's. If BMW wants to let their cars blow up and fall apart at random it has absolutely no bearing on the exceptionally high expectation we owners have for our Lexus's.

LEXUS U NEED TO FIX THIS!!!! Period!

Last edited by Pamperme; 11-22-14 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-23-14, 05:46 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pamperme
Comparing our Lexus to the atrocious reliability record of a BMW is a cop out and an excuse in my book for these UN-Lexus like problems the LS460 is experiencing. Bottom line is this: I don't care what Johnny's mom down the street is doing or allows, you are MY son and I am YOUR father, you will live by my rules, not BMW's. If BMW wants to let their cars blow up and fall apart at random it has absolutely no bearing on the exceptionally high expectation we owners have for our Lexus's.

LEXUS U NEED TO FIX THIS!!!! Period!
I agree with what you are saying, comparing BMW's to a Lexus should not be an excuse for whenever something fails on the Lexus. These vehicles were purchased by most of us for their reliability (at least that factored into my equation when I bought mine).

So far I've been pretty lucky with mine and the members on this board have done their research and have found parts on the internet at much lower prices than you would get at a dealer (so that is helpful).

But Lexus should be held in a higher standard - we all bought these cars in part for their reliability reputation. When you guy a BMW or an Audi you are buying it knowing it will cost you a fortune, but you consider that to be a trade off for it's performance. Let's face it, a 535 drives like a bat out of hell, with smooth power and a quiet interior, but they are one of the worst cars ever made. Everyone can find that out with a 2 second google search. The LS 460 is supposed to be held in a higher standard.

And I must say mine has been reliable.
Old 11-23-14, 11:31 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I agree with what you are saying, comparing BMW's to a Lexus should not be an excuse for whenever something fails on the Lexus. These vehicles were purchased by most of us for their reliability (at least that factored into my equation when I bought mine).

So far I've been pretty lucky with mine and the members on this board have done their research and have found parts on the internet at much lower prices than you would get at a dealer (so that is helpful).

But Lexus should be held in a higher standard - we all bought these cars in part for their reliability reputation. When you guy a BMW or an Audi you are buying it knowing it will cost you a fortune, but you consider that to be a trade off for it's performance. Let's face it, a 535 drives like a bat out of hell, with smooth power and a quiet interior, but they are one of the worst cars ever made. Everyone can find that out with a 2 second google search. The LS 460 is supposed to be held in a higher standard.

And I must say mine has been reliable.
I think there is a bit of German mystique that masks the issues and gives these makes a free pass. Words like built like a tank is far stretch to something that you would want to take to battle.
When it came down to reality the Land Cruiser was chosen to cross the north pole.
Old 11-23-14, 04:24 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Devh
I think there is a bit of German mystique that masks the issues and gives these makes a free pass. Words like built like a tank is far stretch to something that you would want to take to battle.
When it came down to reality the Land Cruiser was chosen to cross the north pole.
I will say the BMW's I've driven do drive excellent...quiet...smooth, tight feel. Some Audi's are the same way - although I will say the A4 is a piece of crap - you can hear the injectors from inside the car. And if you want to complain of a transmission hunting, give the A4 a drive, you'll never drive a car with a transmission that is more confused than that one.

The interior quality of the Lexus is top notch and the reliability of it's electronics can't be touched. So far I've had good luck with mine, hopefully that continues.
Old 11-23-14, 08:09 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I will say the BMW's I've driven do drive excellent...quiet...smooth, tight feel. Some Audi's are the same way - although I will say the A4 is a piece of crap - you can hear the injectors from inside the car. And if you want to complain of a transmission hunting, give the A4 a drive, you'll never drive a car with a transmission that is more confused than that one.

The interior quality of the Lexus is top notch and the reliability of it's electronics can't be touched. So far I've had good luck with mine, hopefully that continues.
I often think about what car I would choose If I was in a Mad Max scenario, it would certainly be Lexus.

Quick Reply: Over 100,000 on your LS460?