LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How much did you pay for an oil change

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-15, 06:39 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Valley101
If your LS is a 2012 or earlier you will void your warranty if you do 10,000 mile oil change as suggested above.
I asked my warranty company (7milesout Enterprises, LLC Inc., Warranties and Insurance Division), and the CEO confirmed it didn't matter how many miles bteween oil changes ... I'm fully covered.

One helluva company it is.

7milesout
Old 09-18-15, 09:03 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

The value of my recent free change at my local Lexus dealer was $130 according to the service record, for 0W20 TGMO, drain plug washer, and filter. When I change it myself it costs $55 for 2 5Q jugs of Mobil 1 0W20 (from Wally World) and a drain plug washer/filter (from eBay).

Does anyone have a good online source for 0W20 TGMO that is cost-competitive with Mobil 1, or is the Toyota dealer the best place to get it?
Old 09-18-15, 09:13 AM
baxter007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just paid $39.00 which included a car wash at a local BP station. This was for the 9 qt. regular oil. I have it done every 2500-3000. FWIW, the local Lexus dealer did my 2008 BMW X3 which is a 7 quart synthinic oil change for no charge as part of a promotion to get me to come in to their dealership. Someone has to pay for this kind of give a ways.
Old 09-19-15, 03:55 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

I can't imagine paying over $100 dollars for an oil change, at the rate I drive (500-600 miles a week), I'd probably just sell the car and get something else.

I usually buy the best synthetic I can find on sale at Walmart...it usually will run me $46 for the oil and I get Toyota filters for $5-6 bucks. I'm usually able to get Mobil 1 on sale...I've gotten Valvoline on sale...right now I think the Castrol is on sale...and I have "splurged" for the Toyota Synthetic before. I generally change my oil at 7,500 miles.
Old 09-19-15, 03:57 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by baxter007
I just paid $39.00 which included a car wash at a local BP station. This was for the 9 qt. regular oil. I have it done every 2500-3000. FWIW, the local Lexus dealer did my 2008 BMW X3 which is a 7 quart synthinic oil change for no charge as part of a promotion to get me to come in to their dealership. Someone has to pay for this kind of give a ways.
I would think that even with conventional oil, you could go longer than that, no? Like maybe 4,000 miles - the LS has such a huge sump (holds 9.1 quarts)...I'd think that would make life rather easy on oil.
Old 09-20-15, 04:22 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I would think that even with conventional oil, you could go longer than that, no? Like maybe 4,000 miles - the LS has such a huge sump (holds 9.1 quarts)...I'd think that would make life rather easy on oil.
Some people still subscribe to the old OCI interval thinking of 3k miles. Shame to throw away perfectly good oil.
Old 09-20-15, 04:34 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Does anyone have a good online source for 0W20 TGMO that is cost-competitive with Mobil 1, or is the Toyota dealer the best place to get it?
Did you try your local Toyota dealers? Try to establish a good relationship with your parts counter guy and ask what they sell their TGMO in bulk for. As I said earlier, I pay 6 bucks/qt when I bring in my own 4qt jugs.

You can also get it on Ebay. There are sellers on there selling for 62 bucks/case of 12.
Old 09-20-15, 05:21 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Did you try your local Toyota dealers? Try to establish a good relationship with your parts counter guy and ask what they sell their TGMO in bulk for. As I said earlier, I pay 6 bucks/qt when I bring in my own 4qt jugs.

You can also get it on Ebay. There are sellers on there selling for 62 bucks/case of 12.
I believe I got mine for $59 shipped from eBay without tax and I was able to pay by credit card instead of PayPal. That works out to $4.91 a quart, cheaper than Mobil 1 and it's delivered to my front door.
Old 09-20-15, 08:18 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are 3 lexus dealerships in the Denver metro area. Two are owned by the same franchise. All three dealships are $120 out the door for an oil change
Old 09-21-15, 02:34 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Devh
I believe I got mine for $59 shipped from eBay without tax and I was able to pay by credit card instead of PayPal. That works out to $4.91 a quart, cheaper than Mobil 1 and it's delivered to my front door.
Wow that's excellent. I'll have to look for that.
Old 09-21-15, 03:06 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Wow that's excellent. I'll have to look for that.
Here are a few tips. There are some internet merchants that will throw out a deal once or twice a day that is cheaper then everywhere else. It will show up so just be patient.
Some will have a case for $30 and you pay for shipping based on location which can also work out to less then $60.

One thing to keep in mind when purchasing parts is to be cautious if it says that it fits your car.
I bought the metal filter housing that stated that it fits the LS460 however the perforated tube height is shorter. All that needs to be done is removing the tube from the old filter housing and pacing in the new by disassemble.
A lot of times some merchant comes across a post where they think some parts have cross compatibility based on hearsay from internet forums which might not be true. If you are complacent it's very easy to mess things up and blame EBay then taking the responsibility to double check what you are getting before install. If you are one of those people that is not interested in researching what you are buying then buy from the dealer. Believe no one when it comes to saving money.

Last edited by Devh; 09-21-15 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-22-15, 09:50 PM
happyhood
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$68... 0w20 valvoline, filter along with an inspection from Lexus of Arlington, IL about 2 weeks ago, and got a free wash...
Old 09-23-15, 08:53 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by happyhood
$68... 0w20 valvoline, filter along with an inspection from Lexus of Arlington, IL about 2 weeks ago, and got a free wash...
Is that the oil your dealer uses?
Old 09-23-15, 09:14 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by happyhood
As long as you are happy but I must point out that they will used cheap oil filters, oil and the incentive of having you bring your car in for their so called "inspection" so they can up sell you on services and unnecessary repairs. Once your car is on the lift they are half way there on you pulling the trigger out of ignorance and desperation. The problem with this is they rummage though your car quickly introducing a new potential problem down the road.
You the owner should know the scheduled maintenance. You don't need an inspection except for a safety check which they would never do.

Last edited by Devh; 09-23-15 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-23-15, 05:24 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
As long as you are happy but I must point out that they will used cheap oil filters, oil and the incentive of having you bring your car in for their so called "inspection" so they can up sell you on services and unnecessary repairs. Once your car is on the lift they are half way there on you pulling the trigger out of ignorance and desperation. The problem with this is they rummage though your car quickly introducing a new potential problem down the road.
You the owner should know the scheduled maintenance. You don't need an inspection except for a safety check which they would never do.
I used the local lexus dealership and recieved valvoline oil as well. When I talked to the sales guys, they said they use all genuine lexus parts. I tried to clarify, you use toyota oil and filters, he replied yes. I got the paperwork as part of my receipt, it had toyota filter and valvoline oil. I asked the service manager why they used valvoline, his response was that is what is used for all lexus cars. Hmmm???? I told the dealership I was told genuine lexus parts, shouldn't that be toyota oil, his response was that valvoline oil is lexus spec. I told him I disagree. Shouldn't it be Toyota oil, and I was told that TGMO would be a small increase in price, but next time they will give TGMO for the same price. We will see. That was the first time since 1999 I had someone do my oil. I was just too busy and needed it done before a 2000 mile road trip. I might just continue doing this task my self

Quick Reply: How much did you pay for an oil change