LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2013 LS 460 F Sport Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-15, 11:44 AM
dBassHz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tec80
Sure!

I installed them on Saturday, have about 300 miles on them so far. I left the old Pagid/Toyota/Brembo pad dust on the front wheels, and my finger marks from handling the wheels are still clearly visible - meaning that the new pads aren't dusting. They stop at least 90-95% as well as the OE dustmakers. And, Zero squeal! I did the bedding-in procedure listed on the Powerstop website and had never worked the brakes that hard before - they are REALLY impressive!

http://www.powerstop.com/brake-pad-break-in-procedure/
Sounds great! Did you have to change the brake pad wear sensors also? I'm trying to purchase all the parts but I cannot seem to find a replacement part for the rear left sensor. FYI, I'm purchasing the parts from RockAuto. Thanks for the update!
Old 07-01-15, 01:21 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Nope, only things I changed were the pads. The OE ones only had 2000 miles of gentle use on them.

I applied a trace film of anti-seize to the metal pad edges where they slide on the caliper body, to the centers of the cross-pins that bolt in via the 2 silver M8 bolts on the outer side of the caliper, and to the slider pins (these tap out/in with very low effort). I put a dab of blue loctite on the bolt threads since they had residue of pre-applied blue loctite visible on the threads.
Old 07-01-15, 01:32 PM
dBassHz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tec80
Nope, only things I changed were the pads. The OE ones only had 2000 miles of gentle use on them.

I applied a trace film of anti-seize to the metal pad edges where they slide on the caliper body, to the centers of the cross-pins that bolt in via the 2 silver M8 bolts on the outer side of the caliper, and to the slider pins (these tap out/in with very low effort). I put a dab of blue loctite on the bolt threads since they had residue of pre-applied blue loctite visible on the threads.
The install sounds very similar to my wife's last non-sport LS460. Thanks again!
Old 07-01-15, 08:17 PM
Tec80
Advanced

No problem, glad to help! The Brembo calipers retain the pins with barrel-shaped ferrules that press into the rear half of the caliper, and the Toyota calipers retain the pins with a wire clip, the tips of which slide into cross-drilled holes in the pins. I really like Toyota's method better, it is elegant and so simple that I kept thinking I forgot something when in fact it was fully assembled. It just feels strange to not need any tools (except a flat-blade screwdriver) or have to torque any bolts to change pads in Toyota calipers.
Old 07-06-15, 01:54 PM
14LSSport
Driver

Bought a set of Carbotech™ 1521's for the Front brakes on my ride. Having dealer install them soon. P/N Fronts: CT1440

The Carbotech™ 1521™ is our high performance street compound. The 1521™ compound is known for its release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. 1521™ is also a very low dusting and low noise compound with an excellent initial bite. This compound's excellent linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Carbotech™ 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 800°F (426°C+). 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle or fleet vehicle. Carbotech™ 1521™ is NOT recommended for ANY track use.

Last edited by 14LSSport; 07-06-15 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-21-15, 08:27 AM
14LSSport
Driver

So, I have to get dealer to install TSB brake pads then when they start squeaking, contact Lexus Customer service to discuss them paying for my Carbotech pads. No shortcuts
Old 07-23-15, 05:42 PM
Dryrunner
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

carbotech pads require new rotors unless you had carbotech pads previously.
Old 07-27-15, 04:54 AM
14LSSport
Driver

Originally Posted by Dryrunner
carbotech pads require new rotors unless you had carbotech pads previously.

Put them on my Range Rover Sport at 3 K miles and had 15 K miles when I traded with no problems.

Why are you saying new rotors when changing to Carbotech pads?
Old 07-27-15, 07:02 PM
Dryrunner
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm just regurgitating what is on Carbotech's website. New pads, they recommend new rotors, unless carbotech pads were used prior.
Old 11-06-15, 01:41 PM
Run4itrick
Driver School Candidate

Default 2013 LS 460 f-sport screeching brembo brakes

I'm having the same problem with my brakes. Lexus seems to be avoiding solving this problem. I'm slowly working my way to the top. I'm speaking with customer service executives and won't stop until I talk to the president of Lexus. I suggest everyone else experiencing this problem do the same. Something can be and needs to be done to solve this issue! Don't take no for an answer. I have an $88,000 car with brakes that screech every time I come to a stop.
Old 11-07-15, 04:49 AM
My1998LS40
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Run4itrick
I'm having the same problem with my brakes. Lexus seems to be avoiding solving this problem. I'm slowly working my way to the top. I'm speaking with customer service executives and won't stop until I talk to the president of Lexus. I suggest everyone else experiencing this problem do the same. Something can be and needs to be done to solve this issue! Don't take no for an answer. I have an $88,000 car with brakes that screech every time I come to a stop.
I hope you can get something done for the better of our cars. I got the same problem too. The salesman at first acted like he didn't hear anything. Then, he said it screech because the brake is big and its normal. Even if it's normal, I hate it. It's so annoying and shameful pulling up to a stop. this car was supposed to be quiet and smooth.
Old 11-09-15, 07:00 AM
KNSBrakes
Driver School Candidate

This is a known issue on the cars and it's not an issue because of Lexus. It is a Brembo issue. Brembo isn't going to put their name on anything that isn't going to be able to go around the block and stop on a dime and have some dust. The same issues and problems occur on the new C7 Corvettes and it even happens on the Tesla Model S cars. What is the common denominator between all of them? Brembo brakes. Brembo's name is known in motorsports, they're only ever going to put high performance pads in the calipers. Lexus has no say in what goes in the calipers, Brembo tells them what is on the car and Lexus says "ok, yes sir".
Old 11-09-15, 03:46 PM
Run4itrick
Driver School Candidate

Default 2013 LS460 Screeching Brakes

If Lexus uses Brembo brakes, the solution to the screeching belongs to Lexus. They need to have Brembo design a brake that doesn't screech. Otherwise they should disclose to potential buyer to expect noisy brakes. I'll bet the sales of vehicles equipped with Brembo brakes will drop dramatically!
Old 11-09-15, 05:19 PM
My1998LS40
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Run4itrick
If Lexus uses Brembo brakes, the solution to the screeching belongs to Lexus. They need to have Brembo design a brake that doesn't screech. Otherwise they should disclose to potential buyer to expect noisy brakes. I'll bet the sales of vehicles equipped with Brembo brakes will drop dramatically!
Exactly! I wished they said that before selling the car. I do understand that the brake do it job perfectly and with it, creates the noise and dust. But, Lexus shouldn't put brakes that sqeaks and leaves dust on a luxury car. Oh well, guess I'll change the pads and rotors when it's time for new pads.
Old 11-09-15, 06:15 PM
Tec80
Advanced

The pads have 3 logos on them: Brembo, Pagid, and Toyota. Someone at Toyota approved the pads, thinking that customers who ordered the Sport/F Sport package wouldn't mind a bit of dust in trade for the excellent bite and improved stopping power that Brembo brakes provide. But they are on a luxury sedan, so excessive dust and squealing are really out of place. Happily, there are alternative pads that cure both issues!

Quick Reply: 2013 LS 460 F Sport Brakes