LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ouch !!!! My new Michelins !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-13, 02:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Ouch !!!! My new Michelins !!!

Just got a new set of Michelins PS2s for my ride and have been loving them. Best performance tire I have ever had. I was checking my tire pressure this weekend and noticed that I had one tire down by 5 psi. When I went to inflate the tire I kneeled down and noticed this ugly *** thing sticking out of my tire. Just wanted to thank the construction guys for taking such great care in watching where the hell their nails and screws are going

I had it repaired at Discount tire with a patch and plug ( the correct way). Now the issue is wondering if the tire can still handle high speeds. The tech and manager at Discount tire said the tire would be 100% fine and have no issues. I have had many tires patched and they have handled track days and stupid speeds on the freeway. I guess I was just hoping to keep these bad *** tires pristine

Looks like I got screwed at little
Attached Thumbnails Ouch !!!! My new Michelins !!!-1238050_559716540730431_1177651313_n.jpg  
Old 08-26-13, 03:22 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

If they did the repair properly (and I'm sure they did) you could run NASCAR next week. That is the best spot you could get a puncture.
Old 08-26-13, 03:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
If they did the repair properly (and I'm sure they did) you could run NASCAR next week. That is the best spot you could get a puncture.
Thanks buddy. They did the repair with the plug and patch like you are supposed to. They had to redo it this afternoon because the tire still had a small leak. The manager did it himself today and made sure he " vulcanized" the patch. I guess these patches have chemicals that will bod the patch to the tire wall permanently Seems to be holding air fine. I will need to keep an eye on it
Old 08-26-13, 04:03 PM
Nospinzone

OK, I'm pretty sure they did the repair properly.

I had meant to add in my first reply what a bummer. I know you were thrilled with the performance of these tires. I am sure it will be fine. The last puncture I had like that was on my 300ZX and I drove it hard after the repair with no problem.
Old 08-26-13, 04:09 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you will be okay i had a patch in one of my ps2 and they were fine, now bead leaks is another thing...

Last edited by Lextrician; 08-26-13 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-26-13, 04:47 PM
CJITTY

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Tire will be fine. I have had tires patched by DT pkenty of times and never once had an issue

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 08-27-13, 08:32 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I picked up a nail the week after I got my PS2's.. Ugh..
Old 08-29-13, 10:27 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PRSUIT460
what's really crappy is I had the tire patched and then it leaked so I took it back and they redid it. Today on the way into the office the rear right is down 2-3 psi over the rest. I think I might need to buy a new tire.

Is it possible that the tire is unrepairable from a screw?

oh well ....another $500 to the car Gods

Last edited by I8ABMR; 08-29-13 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-29-13, 10:45 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

damn shame the obstacles we run into daily... i would have bought a new tire by now. TJM, i'm a fanatic about keeping my things pristine.
Old 08-29-13, 12:07 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take it somewhere else ive had many tires patched without issue ive even had a bead leak fixed on those ps2 with no issues.
Old 08-29-13, 03:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
damn shame the obstacles we run into daily... i would have bought a new tire by now. TJM, i'm a fanatic about keeping my things pristine.
Originally Posted by Lextrician
Take it somewhere else ive had many tires patched without issue ive even had a bead leak fixed on those ps2 with no issues.
when I took it back today the manager said he was very very sorry about the patch failing twice and that he was going to just order me a new PS2 tire and they will cover the $534 for the new tire.

I LOVE DISCOUNT TIRE !!!!

I made sure to call the corporate office and tell them how much they helped me. I called last week also and the team there was bending over backwards to make this right for me.
Old 08-29-13, 03:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PRSUIT460
I was wondering if these tires are sticky enough to pick up road debris a little easier than normal tires. What do you think
Old 08-29-13, 11:27 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Glad you are getting a new one! Sometimes it seems the stickier the tire the more they pickup..
Old 08-30-13, 06:27 AM
CJITTY

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR

when I took it back today the manager said he was very very sorry about the patch failing twice and that he was going to just order me a new PS2 tire and they will cover the $534 for the new tire.

I LOVE DISCOUNT TIRE !!!!

I made sure to call the corporate office and tell them how much they helped me. I called last week also and the team there was bending over backwards to make this right for me.
DT is awesome

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 08-30-13, 08:09 AM
Nospinzone

That's a really nice thing to do. I always make it a point to let the boss/corporate know when someone has gone above and beyond.

A funny story one time at an airport gate I saw baggage handlers loading my golf clubs. My travel bag was on its last legs and it broke open. The two guys really did a nice job to get the clubs in and secure the bag with tape. I asked the gate agent for their names telling him I was going to send a note to corporate. He gave me their names and then took my boarding pass. With the stroke of a pen I went from coach to first class!

I was wondering if these tires are sticky enough to pick up road debris a little easier than normal tires. What do you think
I doubt it. If they were that sticky their wear rating would be on a par with F1 tires.

Quick Reply: Ouch !!!! My new Michelins !!!