LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

GPS Problem - losing location information

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-13, 08:55 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GPS Problem - losing location information

Has anyone had GPS problem with their LS?
Mine keeps losing its location/current position.
The dealer replaced the antenna but no luck.
They are doing the repairs free of charge, as a courtesy to me being a long time customer.
Anyone else have this problem?
Old 05-03-13, 09:32 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have tint? I had GPS reception problem too due to tint over the rear glass. I resolved it by relocating the receiver to the front where there is no tint.
Old 05-03-13, 10:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

first make sure you have no tint on the windshield, antenna is right underneath the top dashboard

second, go to DEST, then on the right (the US map), make sure the region is selected correctly (US1, US2, etc...). if not, press on change and adjust it.

that's where i see most customers complain about GPS locator and fix.
Old 05-03-13, 01:27 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

I think rominl is correct as to the location of the GPS antenna. By all indications from sources that I have consulted it is located in the center of the dash, almost directly below the rearview mirror.

As for being concerned about shading of the antenna because of tint applications, I don't think you have to be too worried about that. I was trying to cause the GPS to loose lock by putting several layers of heavy duty aluminum foil on the dash and was never successful. The signal margin seems to be very high.

The region doesn't seem to have any bearing on the position accuracy. I can set mine to any region and the position continues to work perfectly. The region setting only seems to affect the street #, address, city autocomplete and perhaps the POI lookup.
Old 05-05-13, 07:37 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Yes, I do have tint.
Gps location problem has started only after the software was updated. Since then, the dealer has replaced the antenna - to no success.
I am giving the car to the dealer next week. hopefully, they can fix it.
Old 05-06-13, 07:43 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

yeah it maybe that 2chainz virus.. U aint goin' nowhere like a bad navi.. careful next u may pull up with the ceiling missing...(sorry couldnt resist)

have them redo the nav update.. i have seen a couple cars have nav issues after firmware updates.
Old 05-07-13, 04:46 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
yeah it maybe that 2chainz virus.. U aint goin' nowhere like a bad navi.. careful next u may pull up with the ceiling missing...(sorry couldnt resist)

have them redo the nav update.. i have seen a couple cars have nav issues after firmware updates.
They have redone the nav update but it has not solved the problem. What kind of problems have you seen, after a nav update?
Old 05-07-13, 06:06 AM
jmcraney

You haven't told us very much about your problem so it would be hard to make a guess as to what is wrong.

If you need some more serious help, after you have exhausted your options with the dealer, then provide us some details.
Old 05-07-13, 07:24 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jmcraney
You haven't told us very much about your problem so it would be hard to make a guess as to what is wrong.

If you need some more serious help, after you have exhausted your options with the dealer, then provide us some details.
After I had the car updated with nav software, it loses GPS position. I does not seem to link up to the satellites. They have already changed the antenna and that didn't solve the problem. If I shut it off and turn it on, it works fine. On random occasions, it would not recognize its location. The car is back at the dealer. They are going to talk to lexus and possibly replace everything. I know the dealer very well. They would go out of their way to make sure it is resolved. I am just trying to find out if this is problem has occured to others, after NAV update.
Old 05-07-13, 07:51 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
After I had the car updated with nav software, it loses GPS position. I does not seem to link up to the satellites. They have already changed the antenna and that didn't solve the problem. If I shut it off and turn it on, it works fine. On random occasions, it would not recognize its location. The car is back at the dealer. They are going to talk to lexus and possibly replace everything. I know the dealer very well. They would go out of their way to make sure it is resolved. I am just trying to find out if this is problem has occured to others, after NAV update.
Let us know if we can help you.
Old 05-07-13, 09:49 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Let us know if we can help you.
The dealer is working on it but I am posting here to see if anyone had similar issues and what the solutions were. thanks
Old 05-07-13, 10:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

did you check my post #3 just in case?
Old 05-07-13, 01:22 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
did you check my post #3 just in case?
Yes. thats not the issue. have you read JMCARNEY's post? According to him Neither the tint nor the region affects gps positioning. I agree with him, even though I have not tested the region setting. I have two identical cars, both with tint. No reason to discuss further about tint and region. It has already been answered by jmcarney (thanks JM for testing with a foil!). Thank you.
I am trying to find owners who have experienced a similar issue, after a NAV upgrade.

Last edited by lexus600hl; 05-07-13 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-07-13, 05:03 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

jmcraney,
thanks for your effort. I do know that some times, there is no satellite link. Therefore, the question is, why not. The dealer is going to try and work with Lexus. I have a feeling that it is simply related to the software update and that there is nothing wrong with the unit. They had already replaced the antenna for $1500, at no charge to me. I know them quite well. They might even replace the whole unit, I don't know.
I am more interested in knowing if this problem has occured to anyone else's LS
Old 05-07-13, 05:18 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
jmcraney,
thanks for your effort. I do know that some times, there is no satellite link. Therefore, the question is, why not. The dealer is going to try and work with Lexus. I have a feeling that it is simply related to the software update and that there is nothing wrong with the unit. They had already replaced the antenna for $1500, at no charge to me. I know them quite well. They might even replace the whole unit, I don't know.
I am more interested in knowing if this problem has occured to anyone else's LS
I understand. I will try to constrain myself.
Sorry if I have added confusion.

Quick Reply: GPS Problem - losing location information