LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Lexus NAVI lockout?
I'm glad it's there, it keeps me from crashing
1.87%
Could care less one way or another
4.10%
Annoying, but tolerable
18.28%
Really Annoying - worst "feature" of the car
60.07%
Untolerable - Major factor keeping me from purchasing a Lexus
15.67%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus NAVI Lockout

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-07, 01:30 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lexus NAVI Lockout

At the request of one of our members, here is a poll to gauge CL members' opinions on the NAVI lockout.

Additionally, here is the link to the thread on the aftermarket NAVI override for the LS 460:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=313365

Last edited by encore888; 11-17-07 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Add NAVI override link
Old 11-04-07, 01:34 PM
dlovato
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow - that was fast!

Less than 10 minutes from my post suggesting the survey to when it appeared. Now THAT is customer service :-)

- Darryl
Old 11-04-07, 02:06 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I got rid of that stupid I agree. I had the software upgraded to 7.1

Craig
Old 11-04-07, 02:31 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dlovato
Less than 10 minutes from my post suggesting the survey to when it appeared. Now THAT is customer service :-)

- Darryl
You're welcome.
Old 11-04-07, 05:14 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B

Craig
Did you have to pay for it?
Old 11-04-07, 05:59 PM
Craig B

No, the dealer did not charge. I received one of the first cars, so I didn't get much off on my car. I don't know if Lexus paid, or they did it and ate the charge. I didn't ask...

Craig
Old 11-04-07, 07:17 PM
dlovato
Driver School Candidate

Now we can only hope someone high enough in the Lexus corporate food chain sees these results and does something about it.

At a minimum, their "relentless pursuit of perfection" is obviously falling short on Navigation usability because of the lockout. The vast majority of respondents so far appear to at least find it annoying with various levels of tolerability :-)

If I were lexus trying to sell a 100K+ car, and I saw soo many people found this one thing "annoying" at best, I'd be pusing out a fix to the dealers ASAP!

At worst, they are loosing sales because of something that would be easy for them to fix - a software update should be able to do it.

Until a Lexus fix is available, the people selling the aftermarket hack look like they are going to make some money :-)

I will give Lexus one thing - my wife's RX400h has the "I agree" screen every time you start the car, my LS600hL has that removed - it's an improvement - but there is no reason why a passenger shouldn't be allowed to use the nav while the car is moving.

They could even program the Nav so that it senses someone in the front passenger seat (they know that anyway for the airbag system), and unlock the nav in that case - that would be an improvement - I'd still rather it just always be unlocked - (or drive around with a 50lb bag of rocks in the passenger seat so that the sensor would be "fooled" :-), but even this would be better than the current implementation.

- Darryl
Old 11-05-07, 08:09 AM
jettie1767
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Craig B

Craig
Craig,

The update is at the dealers now? I checked a little over a week ago and they said they didn't have it yet.
Old 11-05-07, 08:42 AM
Craig B

I had it done last Weds. It is available now... You want 7.1

Craig
Old 11-05-07, 08:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by jettie1767
Craig,

The update is at the dealers now? I checked a little over a week ago and they said they didn't have it yet.
it should have been available since couple weeks ago
Old 11-05-07, 09:58 AM
allklr
Pole Position

McGrath Lexus just quoted me over $300 for the 7.1 upgrade, Anyone else have to pay this?
Old 11-05-07, 10:11 AM
Craig B

They just released it last week... I've been waiting a while for it...

Craig
Old 11-05-07, 10:43 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with the "I agree" screen being a PITA, so its removal is a welcome relief. The rest of the lockouts, I couldn't care less. In fact, there's enough multi-tasking when operating a motor vehicle as it is. Regardless, Lexus is not going to lose any sleep over this one. Expect the other manufacturers to follow suit in the coming years; after all Toyota is the front-runner, and like the recording & entertainment industry, car builders are still a conservative and prudent lot, and their business is all about emulation and plagiarism.

Last edited by Johnny; 11-05-07 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-05-07, 11:36 AM
dlovato
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Burnaby
I agree with the "I agree" screen being a PITA, so it's removal is a welcome relief. The rest of the lockouts, I couldn't care less. In fact, there's enough multi-tasking when operating a motor vehicle as it is. Regardless, Lexus is not going to lose any sleep over this one. Expect the other manufacturers to follow suit in the coming years; after all Toyota is the front-runner, and like the recording & entertainment industry, car builders are still a conservative and prudent lot, and their business is all about emulation and plagiarism.
I'm not so sure - so far approx 80% of the respondents find it at least "annoying".

That should give Lexus/Toyota a reason to "emulate" Honda in this case - no lock-out - whose customers don't have this issue.

Lexus/Toyota should at least (at a minimum) consider allowing customers to "waive rights to sue" - i.e. you sign an agreement saying not to hold Lexus/Toyota responsible for injury in a crash due to lack-of-attention if the driver is using with the nav, in exchange for allowing it to be used - removing the lockout.

In my case, I just want the front seat passenger to be able to use it, while I'm paying attention to the road driving - they assume I don't have a front seat passenger - and can't handle the responsibility of paying attention to the road myself.

Honda/Acura assumes I'm NOT an idiot. Lexus assumes I AM an idiot. That' the difference, and is why 80% of the people find the Lexus lockout "annoying".

- Darryl
Old 11-05-07, 12:28 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

"I agree" and sympathize with you, and all the others in here who are annoyed with this blockage. Nav systems are a fairly new animal in the automotive world, and manufacturers' postures are still evolving. Just like the issue of smoking on commercial airlines was a bold step for the airlines who took a leap of faith getting rid of it, Toyota is going it alone for the time being, playing it safe legally.

Let's face it, signing a waiver would never stand up in Court, nor let them off the hook - they're still ruminating over the highly debated use of tempered vs laminated glass in cars and paying settlements on both counts in litigation. By limiting unfettered access to the screen functions, they are in fact testing the market and limiting their exposure at the same time. I don't think it's hurting sales for the time being, and adoption/rejection of these restrictions by other manufacturers will tell the tale one way or another over time.

Quick Reply: Lexus NAVI Lockout