LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 LS460 Shakes at Idle After an Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-12, 06:48 PM
tommyLS460
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 LS460 Shakes at Idle After an Oil Change

Hi. I just recently upgraded to a 2007 LS460 from a 2001 GS300 (rear-ended and totalled in an accident). Anyway, I have it for almost a month now, just took it to Firestone Auto Care for a full synthetic oil change for the very first time. I also purchased the life-time alignment and rotated the tires. Last night when I put it in Park, it started to shake pretty badly. I took it to them this morning, but it didn't reproduce the obvious shake so they said bring it back if I feel it again. What could have caused this? The oil change? The alignment? Or could it possibly be the tire rotation? I also notice that the ride is not as smooth and quiet anymore when I'm driving. I can hear the engine bay swirling about, is this normal? I swear I didn't hear that before. Also, my front passenger seat seems to vibrate more than my driver seat. Anyone with that problem?

This is my very first expensive car and I'm so sensitive to everything that is happening to it, so if anyone could please share their experiences and insights, I'd appreciated very much. Thanks!!
Old 10-01-12, 08:03 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 139 Posts

did you check your oil level?
how about the tire pressure?

check those two and report back.

p.s. don't take your car to firestone.
Old 10-01-12, 11:19 PM
tommyLS460
Driver School Candidate

oil level seems fine..at full...and the tire pressure is at 33, 39, 33, 36...i could inflate/deflate the tires so that they are all at the same pressure tomorrow...that might solve the bumpy ride...but not the noise that i'm hearing coming from the engine bay....any other suggestions?

i know...i regret taking my car there now...they had a 25% coupon on their oil change so mine came out around $85 vs. $160 at the dealer hence i jumped on it..i felt like i made a big mistake!
Old 10-01-12, 11:20 PM
tommyLS460
Driver School Candidate

is there any type of paneling under the car where they might hav forgotten to put back after they drained out the oil and stuff, you think? wish I had the time to check my car in and out first to get to know my car before taking it for service...
Old 10-02-12, 09:57 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyGS300
is there any type of paneling under the car where they might hav forgotten to put back after they drained out the oil and stuff, you think? wish I had the time to check my car in and out first to get to know my car before taking it for service...
just a flap.. to access the oil filter.. if you bend down and look, you'll see it hanging if it wasn't put back right..

can you check the receipt and see what grade of oil they used.. (doubt they used the wrong oil.. but you never know)...?

also.. how old are the tires (miles)? is it the OEM tires? try dropping them down to 35 psi and see if it's still noisy.. if it's the OEM tires.. it's probably worn and getting to be loud (which is normal).. just get new tires..

good luck..

p.s. check with lexus to see if you car had the valve springs recall done.. could be the fact your car is defective due to this? even it is, it would be a free repair anyways.. so it's cool..

p.p.s. next time.. take your car to a toyota dealership.. should be a little cheaper than lexus dealer.. do they even have our oil filters stocked at firestone... lol...
Old 10-02-12, 11:03 AM
PhatDad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, what Joedaddy said. These are higher end cars and need to go to the dealer. Firestone is where you take your Chevy full size truck.

Hopefully you have a warranty and can get it to the dealer and have them look it over. Valve spring recall might be the starting point. Good luck!
Old 10-07-12, 03:18 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

actually i wouldn't take a truck to firestone either. it's amazing what places like that can manage to screw up.

make sure the oil cap is on there tight and that it's not cross threaded.
Old 10-07-12, 06:13 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

they only thing I would do at firestone is the lifetime alignment, that about it. could just be a coincident that doing the wheel alignment made the tires suspect, but aleast get the tire pressures right. take a look at what they done, you know that sheet where they check things off and read it.
Old 10-12-12, 08:37 AM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Shaking at idle in Park, if oil level is ok, could be cylinder misfires or bad motor mounts. Get an OBS scanner and check for codes... autozone will do it for you in the parking lot if you don't have one. Start there
Old 10-23-12, 12:55 AM
tommyLS460
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the tips and comments guys...i went back and they rechanged the oil to Mobile One Full Synthetic 0-20 since they didn't feel the occasional shaking/vibration that i feel...they had used Kendal 5-20...both grades are fine and usually 0-20 works better in the colder places...but the guy said let's try that anyway...it didn't quite make any difference as I still feel the shaking at idle and in Park mode...the shaking is more like a massage vibration...with various strengths at times...but i can totally feel it...the engine performance is excellent as normal but just the shaking...

i will have to bring it to the dealer and have them look at it on my next oil change...no i don't have the warranty from Lexus...since i didn't buy from a Lexus dealer...but i do have one of those national warranty companies that requires $200 deductible per visit to any shop including Lexus dealers...unless i need other fixes i won't resort to that...i guess i'll just bare with the occasional shaking for now....=T

the ride is more smoother now that i've adjusted the tire pressue to around 34...they had it at various pressure in my first visit that i scolded them for it...
Old 10-23-12, 10:04 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car shakes after oil change

???? Changing of the oil would not be a reason for the shake in your car. Something else is or was about ready to malfunction. You need to get it check out at a Lexus dealer. They are the only one who would have the experience to properly diagnose this type of thing.
Old 10-24-12, 05:52 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

it's intermittent right? when you say shake, is it possible you're talking about a misfire. have the dealer check for any EWMA misfire counts in the misfire monitor section. Injectors can cause intermittent misfire issues. don't know what mileage you're at, but injectors are covered under 6 year, 70k miles warranty you may be out of warranty on time as well since it's a 2007
Old 09-01-14, 05:33 PM
camrysport
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyLS460
Hi. I just recently upgraded to a 2007 LS460 from a 2001 GS300 (rear-ended and totalled in an accident). Anyway, I have it for almost a month now, just took it to Firestone Auto Care for a full synthetic oil change for the very first time. I also purchased the life-time alignment and rotated the tires. Last night when I put it in Park, it started to shake pretty badly. I took it to them this morning, but it didn't reproduce the obvious shake so they said bring it back if I feel it again. What could have caused this? The oil change? The alignment? Or could it possibly be the tire rotation? I also notice that the ride is not as smooth and quiet anymore when I'm driving. I can hear the engine bay swirling about, is this normal? I swear I didn't hear that before. Also, my front passenger seat seems to vibrate more than my driver seat. Anyone with that problem?

This is my very first expensive car and I'm so sensitive to everything that is happening to it, so if anyone could please share their experiences and insights, I'd appreciated very much. Thanks!!
I have this same problem, a shake in park and neutral, like a sort of massage vibration. But as soon shift into drive or reverse it stops. Did you manage to find out what it was.?