LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How do you care for the leather in your LS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-12, 08:52 AM
NM600HL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you care for the leather in your LS?

I ask this because I use a high end cleaner / conditioner. However, Lexus just recently (yesterday) replaced the leather wrapped dash in my 600HL (quality sucked - it was bubbling up). One of the questions the Lexus rep asked me was if leather cleaner/conditioner had been used on it. This prompted me to check my owners manual. It basically states to vacuum dirt and then use water or a mild soap solution. Is it just me or is that a formula for dried out leather over time?
Old 08-29-12, 09:29 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have not used leather cleaner in my car yet since I bought it. I only vacuum and wipe marks off with water if needed. My car is blk/blk though so it doesn't show as much as, say a lighter color interior choice. Iv'e used Meguirs leather cleaner before on some tan interiors, which seemed to work pretty good. I'm not an expert in it at all though. Hopefully someone with more experience with them will chime in.
Old 08-29-12, 10:51 AM
Falbz
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I clean my door panels and seats with Meguiars leather cleaner/conditioner ( its a little black bottle) like once a month. Comes out pretty good with a non- glossy appearance.

I'm also interested in what other members do to maintain leather.
Old 08-29-12, 10:52 AM
Falbz
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh ya my car is blk/blk too if you were wondering
Old 08-29-12, 11:15 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Leather Cleaning

I was told by Lexus back in the mid-90's not to use conditioners as it can clog the pores of the leather and it can not breath properly and can cause more problems. I do not know if it is true though. I have never used any and I have had three Lexus vehicles and a bunch of Toyota's with leather. One was eight years old and I was living in the very hot central valley of California at that time. The leather still looked great when I sold the vehicle. The car was garaged when I was at home.
Old 08-29-12, 11:47 AM
iceburg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Valley101
I was told by Lexus back in the mid-90's not to use conditioners
I wonder if that includes the Lexus-branded leather cleaner and conditioner.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2008/2986.html
Old 08-29-12, 11:48 AM
FrankyBoy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a light color interior such as beige or alabaster like I do. Go to your local Walmart, Target and wherever sells Mr. Cleans Magic Eraser! It take aways almost any marks on your leather and light colored panels in the car that gets marks such as shoe scuffs, ink, milkshake, dye, and etc!

I also use Meguiars leather cleaner with microfiber towels to clean the seats and plain ole water and a microfiber towel to clean up the dash and all that good stuff

Holla@chaboy!
Old 08-29-12, 11:54 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 232 Likes on 163 Posts

I use Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner. For some reason with Lexus' tan leather, if you wear jeans the blue rubs off pretty good on it. The Zaino cleaner takes it off as well as other dirt pretty easily and after owning Lexus tan interiors for a number of years, there were no ill effects with using these products. I actually just did the bottom of my seat today since it was getting a little dirty. I also use the cleaner and conditioner on my door panels and dash although the dash is darker so I doubt I will have to do it that much.

I think you must have bad luck, first your seats and now your dash! I can't believe it was bubbling up.
Old 08-29-12, 11:58 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 232 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankyBoy
If you have a light color interior such as beige or alabaster like I do. Go to your local Walmart, Target and wherever sells Mr. Cleans Magic Eraser! It take aways almost any marks on your leather and light colored panels in the car that gets marks such as shoe scuffs, ink, milkshake, dye, and etc!
That is an excellent recommendation that I forgot about. One of the big detailers near told me about the Magic Eraser as well. They gave me one to use but I haven't had to use it yet since I don't have any big marks on my leather.
Old 08-29-12, 12:40 PM
NM600HL
Driver School Candidate

Thanks - great feedback!
Old 08-29-12, 12:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I get the leather cleaner and conditioner from the dealership. I have found it works better than the off the shelf stuff at the local store.
Old 08-29-12, 12:50 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

dont have LS..but surely treated my Rx with this: Leatherique all the way
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...lied-pics.html
Old 08-29-12, 12:59 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I use Zaino cleaner and conditioner as well, but I use it sparingly. I can't imagine never using at least a conditioner on leather, at least not leather you want to last.
Old 08-29-12, 02:52 PM
NM600HL
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone used Lexol? Feedback. A coworker loves it. I haven't tried it.
Old 08-29-12, 03:25 PM
RuCuS81
Rookie

I use Leatherique

Quick Reply: How do you care for the leather in your LS?