LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Steering sounds & vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-19, 05:55 PM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Steering sounds & vibrations

Hope someone can help, I’m going nuts with chasing down this issue.

quick background. I’m a DIY’er with the help of my cousin who is a mechanic.
I’ve replaced all 8 control arms, inner & outer tie rods, & sway bar links 8k miles ago.
2 months ago I replaced the inner tie rods again because that’s what the alignment shop recommended after I had weird sounds coming from suspension.
went a week ago back to them because sounds & vibrations
they recommend forward lower control arms be replaced & inner tie rods again.
today I replaced the lower control arms, inner & outer tie rods under 1 year warranty.
guess what I still have the same issue.
Now I’m being told it’s possibly rack & pinion or ball joint or steering joint?

when the car is on & I move the steering wheel left & right you can hear clunking sound & while driving on uneven pavement you can feel & hear a louder clunk, & from time to time the traction light flashes on & off
Help me! I don’t want to deal with my local Lexus dealership, but I might have to if I can’t solve this annoying problem, hopefully someone can chime in & help.
Old 06-22-19, 12:38 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Check all the bolts on all the suspension parts and make sure they're all tight. Also check to make sure your sway bar bushings are tight. Take your time. I had similar symptoms with a shop saying they couldn't figure it out and this fixed it for me.
The following users liked this post:
MobbinVIP (06-22-19)
Old 06-23-19, 06:37 PM
mdpresco
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Are the bolts tight on the steering rack? Can you do this while the car is on a rack?
Old 06-26-19, 07:48 AM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I would also check bearing assembly. Your "sounds" are very familiar to when my bearings went out. I also had to press in new ball joints on my steering knuckle. Lexus only sells the steering knuckle as an entire assembly part, and online it's like $400-600 per side depending on where you find them, but you can search for more info on the forum (including great instructions) and order the ball joints for around $40-75 (again depending on where you go). No lie, it's a ***** to do them, and don't attempt unless you have patience. You go too fast and you can skim metal out of the lining (don't ask me how I know this). Good luck
Old 06-26-19, 07:49 AM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Also verify your torque settings on your control arms, especially the uppers. Sometimes the ball joints spin and people inadvertently don't tighten them to the right level.
Old 06-26-19, 02:40 PM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you everyone for chiming in!

Update:

I went to a shop that works on Toyota/Lexus, told them to look it over. After a test drive & looking under the car they came back & told me, my air suspension was shot, my sway bar bushings are bad(not the links) & that I need an alignment. I called BS on the air suspension.
I went back the shop that had done the alignment & told them alignment is off. They said no problem & redid the alignment. alignment showed the toe was off, I guess the morons forgot to tighten the nut.
After a correct alignment, the sounds & vibrations are significantly improved. Although there is still some sounds & vibrations, especially when driving & the wheels are turned, its nowhere near as bad as before.

I'm thinking of removing the sway bar & links completely to see if that is where the sounds & vibrations are coming from.
If that's it I'll just buy new bushings & links to finally fix this annoying issue!