LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 Navigation - Terrible

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-12, 03:01 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ikeb
i am positive that lexus could update our nav systems, but will not. It is hard to believe that they will not update the nav and the rest of the system within the nav system. I have complained to them, but to no avail.
I wanted to possibly help clear this point up, because it is a good one. I have maintained that for the past 6 months, updating the outdated LS460 NAV system was a) useless; and b) A waste of good, valuable, hard-earned cash. I have also maintained that the NAV system installed in our LS460's is of a 1998-1999 design criteria. As several here know, I was possibly a little harsh in my years there. (And yet, won't apologize ..... LOL !). I'll explain ...

Let's look at a few facts. Lexus started to engineer the LS460 we currently drive back in 2000 to 2002. It arrived available for sale in late 2006, I think. It takes that long for products of this caliber to make it to market.

Several things were not conveniently available back then, nor as inexpensive as they are today. The most important one - when we are discussing the NAV system - is memory systems. Memory back in 2002 was fairly expensive, at least when compared to what's available today. And I am sure that's why they decided to use a hard drive for this. Then, to keep 'prying hands' from messing things up, it makes sense (when you look at it this way that they did not want every jack-leg owner messing in the electronics and creating more problems) and decided to simply have the updates done by a qualified tech @ a dealership.

And while someone here's gonna "cry Uncle," in 2004 and 2005 tens of millions of people could not set up M-S Office, let alone even perform a system update, without messing up their computer systems. Many still cannot today. Subsequently many systems simply were not designed nor engineered for consumer updating, more to prevent problems than to create owner dissatisfaction.

Nowwwwwwwwwww ....... we fast-forward to today, 2012, and we see FORD sending out extensive software updates to their innovative (and somewhat complex) SYNC system - and they make this update easy-to-perform and at no cost available to any registered owner, who can then make MAJOR updates to this industry-leading system with a cheap flash drive..

So all we have here, for this subject, is a time slice into technology. I feel confident that by the time the new generation of LS's arrives on our shores, we will see all sorts of new and far-reaching innovative Systems that might boggle our minds today if we learned of therm.

But No. Today, a consumer CANNOT UPDATE the NAV system - not because of some arbitrary Lexus rule - but because of design constraints, caused by decisions made long ago.

In the meantime there ARE a few things we CAN do: A) Enjoy our current NAV systems, and use them unaltered and at no extra expense (ie, Don't git 'em updated. B) Obtain and use a convenient and easy-to-use $100 Garmin or Tom-TOM GPS - use or a SMART PHONE - when we need directions to go somewhere strange; and c) Get a good STRONG drink and worry about a whole host of things far more important than any of this to all of us.

I hope this helps to clear up this point. Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Old 02-22-12, 03:30 PM
CJITTY

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Mikey loves his LS Navi
Old 03-31-12, 09:30 PM
mountainrv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am the original poster. I just used the nav today for an hour trip. I knew where I was going so it was a test. Like past fiascos it offered 3 choices none of which were my route. For New Yorkers I take the Southern State to go to Massapequa LI from Staten Island. The Nav pointed me to the 495 (LIE) for all three choices. While on my preferred route (southern state) it was not even smart enough to recalibrate until well into the trip telling me to exit for several exits. The ride home was no different. Calling the Nav an unusable POS is a complement. Is the firmware upgrade any better? I don't want to use a windshield mount but I have less than zero confidence in the on board navi. OK rant over. I feel better now!

Last edited by mountainrv; 03-31-12 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-01-12, 06:16 AM
bobp
Driver School Candidate

The Lexus/Toyota navigation systems were pretty good - when the basic systems were designed - many years ago. At that time, there weren't too many alternatives.

But a major problem with the electronics systems being installed by all of the manufacturers is that these systems are static snapshots of technology - usually a year or two before major changes are made to each model line. The software rarely gets updated once a new model is introduced - and if there are any changes, they are usually relatively minor.

Another problem is the philosophy of distributing annual map updates - by the time the map updates are available for installation - they are already out of date - and then you have to wait another year for a $200+ update - just to get another set of out-of-date maps.

There are a lot of benefits of having the navigation systems integrated into the car - larger display, integration with sound system and bluetooth phone.

But with the strategy used by all of the major car manufacturers, their systems are always going to be behind the portable navigation systems or the nav software available on today's smart phones.

However, in a few months, there will be a car that may avoid these immediate obsolesence problems - the Tesla Model S.

Assuming Tesla is successful in producing the car - and stays in business, they could change the strategy for on-board electronics.

While they have a huge 17" diagonal touch screen and a fully digital dashboard on which you can drag and drop displays from the large touch screen to either side of the digital speedometer gauge - that's not the major breakthrough.

They are integrating 3G networking into the car - and the navigation system and on board computer system are designed to work using the Internet. The maps should be close to up-to-date - and updates can be distributed to the car from Tesla's "app store" - at the convenience of the customer - without having to go through inconvenience of the DVD/USB updates requiring dealer involvement.

Tesla has committed that customers buying their tech package also get 7 years of free maps - and that they plan to continue updating the software for the car, for the life of the car. They also plan to provide new "apps" through the store - so you won't be forced into buying a brand new car just to get a new generation of apps (like Lexus has done with new software like xmWeather, Enform, ...).

Don't get me wrong - I really like my LS 460 - and have learned to live with the limitations of the onboard software and nav system - and haven't succumbed to the tempation of propping my smartphone on the screen and using the newer maps.

I have been able to fix some of the nav problems by carefully adjusting the speed limit settings for each class of roads and creating several points on the map to avoid - which has eliminated most of the "false" nav routes.

But as I start looking for a replacement for my LS in the next year - it is very tempting to look at the Tesla - which will have up-to-date software & maps - plus the advantages of an all electric vehicle that can go 300 miles on a charge (never stopping at a gas station, saving over $2000 per year on fuel costs, no quarterly visits to my dealer for oil changes, ...).

Before my 460, I had a GS - and I will take a close look at the new generation GS and LS models before making a final decision of what to get. Though I have put down a deposit on a new Tesla - so that will give me about a year to decide what I'll get to replace my LS... Still hoping Lexus will come up with some major improvements in the next gen LS...
Old 04-01-12, 03:27 PM
CJITTY

I spoke to Charles Barkley about this and he also mentioned how Turrble the navigation is
Old 04-01-12, 05:44 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I spoke to Charles Barkley about this and he also mentioned how Turrble the navigation is
Did Chuck say who he thinks will win tomorrow night?
Old 04-01-12, 08:32 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Did Chuck say who he thinks will win tomorrow night?
He told me 'Bama ...then I reminded him they weren't actually playing lol
Old 04-01-12, 09:53 PM
bruceko
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have owned 3 Lexi. The 08 ls is the first one with nav. After it this weekend again the nav tried to send me all over hill and dale. It couldn't find the address. It was a church that has been in the same location for 75 years.
I had to manually scroll the map to the location.
While I was driving I was thinking about what a rip off this $3000 nav was and made me question if in the future I would ever buy another Lexus
Old 04-01-12, 10:58 PM
Blastphemy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Your problem is your model year

Originally Posted by mountainrv
I have a 2008 LS460 for about 2 months now. The navigation has taken me on the scenic route the few times I've used it. I to use the options to allow for tolls and highways. Twice now it has taken me to my destination using side streets and back roads. Anyone have similar experiences and/or suggestions.
I am the original poster. I just used the nav today for an hour trip. I knew where I was going so it was a test. Like past fiascos it offered 3 choices none of which were my route. For New Yorkers I take the Southern State to go to Massapequa LI from Staten Island. The Nav pointed me to the 495 (LIE) for all three choices. While on my preferred route (southern state) it was not even smart enough to recalibrate until well into the trip telling me to exit for several exits. The ride home was no different. Calling the Nav an unusable POS is a complement. Is the firmware upgrade any better? I don't want to use a windshield mount but I have less than zero confidence in the on board navi. OK rant over. I feel better now!
Originally Posted by bruceko
I have owned 3 Lexi. The 08 ls is the first one with nav. After it this weekend again the nav tried to send me all over hill and dale. It couldn't find the address. It was a church that has been in the same location for 75 years. I had to manually scroll the map to the location. While I was driving I was thinking about what a rip off this $3000 nav was and made me question if in the future I would ever buy another Lexus
Your problem is your model year. The 2008 LS nav is ancient. If you look at a 2012 LS, the nav is worlds beyond that 2008 artifact in your car. It even shows the outlines of private homes on my street at building-scale magnification. Driving in downtown Los Angeles, I see every building in 3D on the nav - it's amazing to watch. And the directions are always spot-on and get me where I need to go in the most efficient manner.

Do you have current map data in your car? Check the update version year of your maps to make sure your data isn't too old. Otherwise, your nav is trying to give you directions without having enough information to get you to a destination properly. You can order the 2008 LS update here (it's part #PT219-HDDG5-11 for your "Generation 5" system).

mountainrv - so why did you get a 2008 LS only two months ago? Why not a 2010 or 2011? Presumably you got it for the perfect ride, silent cabin, and status. I hope you didn't buy it for that archaic navigation system!

Last edited by Blastphemy; 04-01-12 at 11:10 PM. Reason: stoopid tipoes
Old 04-02-12, 04:17 AM
mountainrv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blastphemy
Your problem is your model year. The 2008 LS nav is ancient. If you look at a 2012 LS, the nav is worlds beyond that 2008 artifact in your car. It even shows the outlines of private homes on my street at building-scale magnification. Driving in downtown Los Angeles, I see every building in 3D on the nav - it's amazing to watch. And the directions are always spot-on and get me where I need to go in the most efficient manner.

Do you have current map data in your car? Check the update version year of your maps to make sure your data isn't too old. Otherwise, your nav is trying to give you directions without having enough information to get you to a destination properly. You can order the 2008 LS update here (it's part #PT219-HDDG5-11 for your "Generation 5" system).

mountainrv - so why did you get a 2008 LS only two months ago? Why not a 2010 or 2011? Presumably you got it for the perfect ride, silent cabin, and status. I hope you didn't buy it for that archaic navigation system!
I did buy it for the luxury and ride and I love the car. My expectation was the nav would serve its purpose which is get me from point A to point B efficiently. I have had a portable nav of that vintage and it works fine. That portable gets me there - and to quote another poster - without taking me hill and dale. I can live with the clunky interface but not with the misdirection.
Old 04-02-12, 07:25 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did buy it for the luxury and ride and I love the car. My expectation was the nav would serve its purpose which is get me from point A to point B efficiently. I have had a portable nav of that vintage and it works fine. That portable gets me there - and to quote another poster - without taking me hill and dale. I can live with the clunky interface but not with the misdirection.
Personally I think you're expecting Wayyyyyyyyyy too much from an $ 80,000 automobile.

LOL ! Smile and Enjoy your upcoming Easter.

PS - If you're not sure how I personally feel, please read my posts about Lexus' NAV systems herein and previously.

Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Old 04-02-12, 10:50 AM
Blastphemy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post In-car navs have a way to go

Originally Posted by Mikey100
I wanted to possibly help clear this point up, because it is a good one. I have maintained that for the past 6 months, updating the outdated LS460 NAV system was a) useless; and b) A waste of good, valuable, hard-earned cash. I have also maintained that the NAV system installed in our LS460's is of a 1998-1999 design criteria. As several here know, I was possibly a little harsh in my years there. (And yet, won't apologize ..... LOL !)

But No. Today, a consumer CANNOT UPDATE the NAV system - not because of some arbitrary Lexus rule - but because of design constraints, caused by decisions made long ago.
I completely agree that car navigation systems (and overall control systems) appear to be a decade old in their engineering. Even as good as the 2012 Lexus LS460 and 2012 Infiniti M navigation systems are, they still are some of the clunkiest pieces of software I've seen in quite some time. The lack of preferences and customization for basic car functions, the reliance on an outdated GUI, and no heads-up projection into the windshield for graphical directions (like the BMW 550i) has.

Why vehicles can't get computer systems as sophisticated as an iPhone or Android is beyond me. If car manufacturers are worried about confusing the less technically-minded, then they could set up their cars in "Basic" mode, but then allow people with advanced technical expertise to turn on the "Advanced" mode and go crazy with all the settings. Of course, then you'd be spending far too much time in your car!

I look at what Ford, Tesla, Acura, and others are doing and hope Lexus catches up! (I'd love to see Apple or Google create a branded in-car system partnered with Garmin to integrate all their advanced tech and GUI research!)
Old 04-03-12, 05:28 AM
bobp
Driver School Candidate

If you haven't seen this:

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/features#/interior

Now if we could only get this in the new LS...

Software/NAV updates over the internet - app store for new applications - free map updates for 7 years - constant internet connectivity - full web browser - configurable display...
Old 03-03-13, 10:43 AM
swilcann
Driver School Candidate

My wife's 2008 RX $5K pkg to get nav was a total waste of $. We use my $175 Tom Tom the features of which are clearer and the programing much more intuitive . And it's updated 4 times a year free. And why can't the simple technology that activates the passenger air bag also by pass the "no input' while moving." prohibition. I have flown large aircraft for many years--really glad they didn't incorporate that "safety" feature. My wife who "leaves the navigation to me," loves the car.
Old 03-03-13, 11:15 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

What are the steps required to see which navigation software version is currently loaded into my car?

Quick Reply: LS 460 Navigation - Terrible