LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2012 LS460 Navigation Compass

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-14, 02:07 PM
lcril522
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No. I'm talking about the mode where the "present position symbol" (that little red triangle in a circle) is always pointing up. In this mode, the compass will point to North. From that, I realize I can deduce what direction I am heading. But, I'd rather not have to think! I'd rather there be an option on the compass for me to set it and allow it to point the direction I am heading. That is, if I'm heading due East, then something should tell me I am heading due East.
Old 02-03-14, 02:42 PM
jmcraney

Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by lcril522
No. I'm talking about the mode where the "present position symbol" (that little red triangle in a circle) is always pointing up. In this mode, the compass will point to North. From that, I realize I can deduce what direction I am heading. But, I'd rather not have to think! I'd rather there be an option on the compass for me to set it and allow it to point the direction I am heading. That is, if I'm heading due East, then something should tell me I am heading due East.
Compasses are usually magnetic north seeking devices and they just point to North. If you prefer a vertical compass card type display which is aligned to the car's heading and will always have the car's heading at the top, you can select that via the touch screen, any time, with two touches from the map display. I think there is a split screen display that has the compass and map on the same screen on newer cars.

Here is a picture of that type screen:

Old 02-03-14, 04:38 PM
lcril522
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I know about the split screen, but that reduces the size of the map too much.
Old 02-04-14, 08:14 AM
jmcraney

Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

I don't want to seem argumentative, so I hope you will receive this in the manner that it is intended, just a friendly discussion as to the best way to display the information.

You seem to be saying you want a display that has a car-heading pointer that points up when the car is headed North, right when the car is headed East, down when the car is headed South and left when the car is headed West.

This seems to be satisfied by the map display when in the "North Up" display mode. The current position symbol points to the car's heading on a map that is always oriented with North at the top and East to the right.

Here is a picture of the display, in the North Up mode, with the car headed East:

What form would your ideal display take? I think it might be nice to have 45 degree cardinal compass symbols (N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW) around the display edge in both display modes.
Old 02-10-14, 06:15 AM
lcril522
Driver School Candidate

Ideally, I'd like to see an option where the 'car heading pointer' is always pointing up. Then, the compass will not point to magnetic north, but point in the direction I am heading. For example, if I am heading due EAST, the map would display with the present position symbol pointing up and the compass would tell me I am heading EAST (IE. it would point EAST). As I mentioned in other posts, I realize with the car heading pointer always pointing up that the current compass is pointing to magnetic north. In my example heading due EAST, the current compass would point to magnetic north (9PM if you want to think of it as the face of a clock), and I can deduce I am heading EAST. But, I'd rather the compass simply tell me the direction I am heading.