LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Window Tint Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-11, 05:47 PM
bizpage
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window Tint Ideas

I live in Pennsylvania, and have a house in Florida.I haven't found a good tint place in Philly area, so I guess I can use some help. I'm looking for an outstanding tint job, with something unique to offer for a classy look for my LS460. I have the Maroon color exterior with the Black interior. I noticed the interior gets quite hot in the sun. Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated. Picture post would be nice also. Thanks!!!!
Old 05-24-11, 06:41 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i have a blk on blk and im planning on doing 20% sides and rear (which come out to around 15% because of the factory window treatment) and doing either 50% whole front windshield or the llumar80 tint that blocks off a lot of the heat with out the darkness... i also live in Florida myself and im about to spontaneously com-bust with no tint
Old 05-24-11, 08:43 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

id take a road trip to the fl house... quality tint shops are all over.. i agree 80% on windshield will help..but check your Pa tint laws 1st.. unless u register the car in fl an get ur dr liscense swapped to fl u could get hassled back in Pa.... also llumar has a lifetime warranty (nationwide)
Old 05-25-11, 07:19 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Even in florida youre not supposed to tint the front windshield. Law states that the front windshield has to be clear but you can have a tint strip across the top. You can have 15% in the rear and rear sides and 28% on the front sides. I'd planned on doing this as long as all the windows still looked the same. I didnt want that off look between front and rear.

Now, if you have an LS with executive package, you might be able to get away with saying its a limo and you can get 6% on the rear and rear sides.
Old 05-25-11, 07:31 AM
iceman76
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=305Busa;Now, if you have an LS with executive package, you might be able to get away with saying its a limo and you can get 6% on the rear and rear sides.[/QUOTE]

Don't limo's have a special plate, or atleast the driver has it annotated on their license? Don't know how far you will be able to get if questioned. No need to get pulled over for excessively dark tint. Do you really need the attention? IMHO all it leads to is more questioning from the po-po's and possibly a search of your vehicle. All it does is add hassle to your daily travels, and waste your time. But, some states don't look as hard as others, so it is def up to you. G/L.
Old 05-25-11, 09:27 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Look at the 3M Crystalline or Huper Optik nano ceramic. Both offer high heat and solar rejection, even in moderate tint levels. It's going to run 2x what "regular" tint does, but it'll keep you legal and its performance is unmatched by ordinary tint. Most shops in FL with do your windshield as long as you pay cash. I had my windshield done in Crystalline 70 and the rest of the car done in Crystalline 40 and it's significantly cooler in the summer (residence in GA, business in FL). My car is Flint Mica w/ black interior.

Old 05-25-11, 01:53 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Last week I had my car tinted with 40% all around (no front windshield). In Il 35% is legal so I figured with about 5% factory tint I'd come in around 35%. With the parchment interior it doesn't look too dark but around here I'd rather be a little on the light side.
Old 05-25-11, 02:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

keep it on the lighter side for when you are driving at night in the rain. My G35 was pretty dark in the front and I live in the hills so it dark. I remember once having to roll the window down a bit as I rounded a corner onto a street where kids play
Old 05-25-11, 11:05 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

15% all around and 40% on the front windshield should help and it will look good.

Personally, I would go with 5% all around and 35% on the front windshield, but you will get hassled by cops. It's also tough to see at night if you're not used to super dark tint.
Old 05-26-11, 08:55 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i got llumar air 80 -- 78% tint, cool blue color, heat rejection characteristics similar to huper or crystalline, etc.
Old 05-26-11, 03:59 PM
truongsta8
Lead Lap

To the OP,

I just got my tints done yesterday in Philly 35% all the way around minus the windshield and they did a GREAT job! High quality work and for an outstanding price value too! They specialize in NO GAPS in the windows. Go check them out. It's 3 mins from the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge. The place is called 215Motoring. Tell them Pete with the LS460 sent you and he will hook you up.

Here's their info:
215 MOTORING, LLC
4954 National Street
PHILADELPHIA, PA 19135
215-333-0404
http://www.215motoring.com/
Old 05-26-11, 11:04 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by truongsta8
To the OP,

I just got my tints done yesterday in Philly 35% all the way around minus the windshield and they did a GREAT job! High quality work and for an outstanding price value too! They specialize in NO GAPS in the windows. Go check them out. It's 3 mins from the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge. The place is called 215Motoring. Tell them Pete with the LS460 sent you and he will hook you up.

Here's their info:
215 MOTORING, LLC
4954 National Street
PHILADELPHIA, PA 19135
215-333-0404
http://www.215motoring.com/
did they have to remove the door panels??
ive read that people have had to do that in order to get the whole window correctly... i just want to make sure that doesnt need to happen before i go to get tint

and BTW i reme,ber back when i had 5% tint ALL around
Old 05-27-11, 08:34 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I had my car tinted last week and two of the shops I checked out said with the proper tools and technique the door panels don't need to be removed. The shop I used said for some reason, some BMW models require removal.
Old 05-28-11, 09:53 AM
bizpage
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your replys, anyone done any form of tint on the front windsheild and is there anything legal on the front.
Old 05-29-11, 08:40 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by iceman76
Don't limo's have a special plate, or atleast the driver has it annotated on their license? Don't know how far you will be able to get if questioned. No need to get pulled over for excessively dark tint. Do you really need the attention? IMHO all it leads to is more questioning from the po-po's and possibly a search of your vehicle. All it does is add hassle to your daily travels, and waste your time. But, some states don't look as hard as others, so it is def up to you. G/L.

Not sure about what constitutes a limo here so I couldnt answer that but I agree 100% about the shade of tint and being harassed. My prevous car had 35% just to keep them off me. I might go with the same of maybe 30 on this one but nothing darker and keep the front clear.

Quick Reply: Window Tint Ideas