LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus LS460 vs Hyundai Equus

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-10, 11:24 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tofu_house
LS460 vs. Equus thread #: 5489385934765975843758
Hyundai has got a long way to go. But they've also come a long way. Just look at a short 10 year history on the car maker and you'll see all the amazing strides they've made. The quality of their cars have improved immensely. They lack innovation, but the average Joe won't complain when he gets similar (maybe not as good, but decent) technology, comfort, and look as other higher-priced alternatives. Hyundai is trying to pullout from their image as a bargain car maker, but as of now, they're still exactly that.

Give Hyundai time. They've already surpassed (and not to mention embarrassed) other tier 2 and tier 3 luxury makers (*cough* Acura *cough*). Lexus, Benz, BMW, and Audi are the next level. It only makes sense for them to be gunning for Lexus.
Amazing what you can do with government money and awful labor laws, eh?
Old 12-08-10, 11:36 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
Amazing what you can do with government money and awful labor laws, eh?
Not all countries can be like the U.S. in it's glory days, which at the present time, is not fairing very well, considering the massive deficit, rising unemployment, and lack of leadership. But this is a different story for a different thread, which has already been started.

Lesson of the day: Use the 'search' function.
Old 12-08-10, 02:16 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Whats the big deal? They're just trying to compete with Lexus, BMW,and Mercedes.
Old 12-08-10, 02:25 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Ummmm... not another one of those hyundai sucks threads...
Just the fact that Hyundai made someone make a thread like this is a sure sign they're doing it right. New equus with 429hp? I'd take that.
Old 12-11-10, 04:04 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8
Ummmm... not another one of those hyundai sucks threads...
Just the fact that Hyundai made someone make a thread like this is a sure sign they're doing it right. New equus with 429hp? I'd take that.
I went to the Miami Beach Auto Show a few weeks back and got a chance to take a look at the Equus first hand and it was ok at best. The interior just didnt have the wow factor that they say it does. Instead, it looked like they just threw a bunch of gadgets in there to say that they had them. It kind of reminds me of the iphone and all the iphone killers that have been released in the last 4 years. Either way, while I was talking to the guy from Hyundai, I mentioned I drove an LS and he asked if I'd like to test drive an Equus since they'd be having one at their dealer. Of course, I accepted. Again, the car is nice but I wouldnt trade it for mines even it were priced the same, high or low. And the 429HP they claim, I didnt feel that at all. My LS is definetly a lot quicker.

BUT, I do have to say that the Genisis Coupe was impressive for the price and that might just be my next toy.

Ill post some pics in a sec.
Old 12-11-10, 12:10 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tofu_house
Not all countries can be like the U.S. in it's glory days, which at the present time, is not fairing very well, considering the massive deficit, rising unemployment, and lack of leadership. But this is a different story for a different thread, which has already been started.

Lesson of the day: Use the 'search' function.
What does that have anything to do with what I said or Hyundai?
Old 12-11-10, 06:42 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Last paragraph from Car & Drivers review:

The Equus is due in dealerships this fall, but Hyundai hasn’t set firm pricing. The company has indicated that the car will start in the mid-$50,000s, with the Ultimate trim demanding a few grand more. It may be a bargain compared with an S-class, but it doesn’t hold a candle to the big Benz—or any other premium flagship—in cachet, sumptuousness, or dynamics. The Equus will have to overcome some serious obstacles and the image of its own brand to make headway with its intended audience. Still, with the high-tech sales and service, massive list of gadgets, and business-class back seat, Hyundai shouldn’t have any problem finding a couple thousand thrifty-minded (but not poor) buyers each year. If not, we hear that New York City’s limo companies are champing at the bit (horse joke!) to add the Equus to their airport fleets.
Old 12-12-10, 10:03 AM
davedan
Driver School Candidate

i think the first customers they may take are the bmw 5-mercedes e-infinity m do not think the ls -s class driver will switch for a while when they do awd they could start nibbling
Old 12-12-10, 10:23 AM
T4-Teg
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Rear console refridgerator"

... Thats a win in my book
Old 12-12-10, 09:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusChris
May have more features available or standard but it's still a Hyundai, don't get me wrong they've been coming out with great cars lately, but i'd still roll in a Lexus LS 460 or the LS 430 for that matter before I consider a Equus. It reminds me of VW trying to be upmarket with Phaetom sorry it's just not for me.
people used to say the same thing about Lexus. Its a great car but its still a Toyota. How quickly people forget. I love my LS460 but I still remember the first time I saw a Lexus LS400 back in 1990
Old 12-13-10, 01:38 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Oh my!Iif you think its hard when people say thatyour car is a glorified Toyota, imagine if you told them you spent 55k for a Hyundai!! LOL!
Old 12-13-10, 05:55 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350
Oh my!Iif you think its hard when people say thatyour car is a glorified Toyota, imagine if you told them you spent 55k for a Hyundai!! LOL!
Its funny you say that because according to the rep, Hyundai didnt want to start a new brand due to keep cost "down" on the car but they didnt put the name Hyundai anywhere visible from the outside or inside on the car. Same thing goes for the Genesis.
Old 12-13-10, 09:00 AM
guy999
Driver School Candidate

i am actually in the market to move and was trying to find one of these equus's to drive and they aren't even available in dfw at all yet.

I was looking at the Audi a8, MB s550 and another ls460 and figured I should at least look at the equus but they don't have any available to even look at.

odd that it says it is coming out in the fall and it's mid December and there aren't any available.
Old 12-14-10, 12:57 AM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The first generation of Equus arent worth it. The hp they claim is bottle necked by an inefficient tranny. They also took at the bmw auto close doors and changed the grille from the Korean version I assume to keep costs down.

In a few years they will change the engine i know that but for now They just want to put it out there and for serious luxury buyers one shouldn't waste money on a car testing the waters. I have no doubt in my mind though that it will be a fantastic car down the road if Hyundai doesnt sell itself short
Old 12-14-10, 03:12 PM
Grisik
Rookie

They start at $58900 and the executive package is $64900. That's an awful lot of jack for a hyundia.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS460 vs Hyundai Equus