LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Just purchased 07 LS460L: Warranty about to expire, what should I get done? Thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-10, 03:31 PM
dormie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased 07 LS460L: Warranty about to expire, what should I get done? Thanks!

Hello everyone,

First, let me say this site has been a great source of information, I have really enjoyed reading almost every active thread in the LS460 forum.

I just purchased an 07 LS460L with 24k miles with pretty much every available option short of the executive seating. The car has only been serviced at the dealer so far and is in like new shape inside and out! I already love the car (though it was bought for my wife) and hope it lasts as long as the outgoing GS430 this replaces.

The original factory warranty expires 12/20/2010, so I've been scouring the threads "looking for what to look for" with respect to outstanding service items. The car has had the idler pulley and fuel rail campaigns done when I purchased it. I've talked with the dealer here in austin who wants me to have the valve springs done, and I've told them my ongoing hesitation with doing so. He took me back to introduce me to the tech doing them and showed me an opened up LS460 to make me more comfortable with it, it didn't help. In fact, may have hurt (p.s. I have a cherry '91 Supra Turbo I wrench all myself, so engines don't scare me).

I did notice the air suspension had the car sitting slightly our of level when parked, so I took it in today to have them look at that. Because of this site, I was directed to the TSB collection site and saw the wind noise and loose glove box issues. I for sure have the loose glove box and the dealer said they will replace it with the new one. However, I asked the service adviser if he would have the tech test drive the car and determine if the wind noise procedure would actually help the situation. I wasn't sure I even had a problem as it didn't seem that bad to me, but once I read the site and was "looking" for it, I don't know, now I find all I do when I drive it is listen for wind noise. I'm not convinced the dealer actually had the tech evaluate whether doing the wind noise fix would actually help, sounds like he just wanted me to OK it so he could get the warranty repair time. I told him I was very worried about after the fact rattles or even making it worse, and didn't want to do it just because I could. But as of today they are doing it.....

Do you guys have opinions on the current revision of the wind noise fix? (I have the 460L so it already has laminated glass, so not worth it just for that). Does the craney fix I see on here address everything the TSB does but a heck of a lot more easily? I suspect they wont' start until tomorrow so I can stop it if need be.

Sorry this is so long, but after all that, if you guys have ANY suggestions on TSBs or other problematic areas to look for, PLEASE let me know as again I only have a month and a half to get everything buttoned up!!! (and that collection site says it was only updated through over a year ago)

I did get the8yr 75k Lexus Platinum Warranty, but I'm sure that doesn't cover any of the rattles, wind noise, loose fitting stuff.

THANKS!!!!!!
Old 11-03-10, 04:08 PM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Was this a CPO? If it was then you're safe for the next 3 yrs.
Old 11-03-10, 04:09 PM
dormie
Driver School Candidate

no, not a CPO. bought from a non-lexus dealer.
Old 11-03-10, 09:09 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the lower B-pillar garnish for wear, you can have those replaced with a new design. Also check for hesitation on acceleration, there is a re-program of software for that. Other than the glove box, those were the tsb's I had the dealer perform.
Old 11-04-10, 06:48 AM
jmcraney

Received 260 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by dormie
Do you guys have opinions on the current revision of the wind noise fix? (I have the 460L so it already has laminated glass, so not worth it just for that). Does the craney fix I see on here address everything the TSB does but a heck of a lot more easily? I suspect they wont' start until tomorrow so I can stop it if need be.
If you find yourself listening for wind noise then it's likely your car has a problem. The cars are so exceptionally quiet you would know that there was no problem if you didn't have one.

You should avoid the wind noise fix TSIBs offered by Lexus. Reports in this forum indicate that none have been very effective. The "Cross Wind Turbulence" TSIB detracts from the appearance of the car and no one has ever reported an improvement from that and it is irreversible - it involves shortening the wiper blade on one side and adding some plastic strips to the sides of the windshield.

The DIY wind noise fix is something that can be done in about 10 minutes - less time than it would take for you to explain the problem to a service writer at the dealership - and the odds of success are orders of magnitude greater than anything that a Lexus dealer will do for you. The risk of inducing some sort of problem with the DIY fix is extremely small.

The instructions for the DIY fix are at: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...noise-fix.html

Check the Private Messages feature on this site for a message.
Old 11-04-10, 06:52 AM
dormie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bsl888
Check the lower B-pillar garnish for wear, you can have those replaced with a new design. Also check for hesitation on acceleration, there is a re-program of software for that. Other than the glove box, those were the tsb's I had the dealer perform.
Thanks! Can you tell me what the lower b pillar garnish is? Not up to speed on the references on this car yet. They called yesterday afternoon and said they heard a popping noise and that they are replacing brake actuators as well.

Anyone know what the navigation firmware update tab is?

As for the seat replacement tab, is it for the lower cusion or the back? I find the seats kinda pinch me on the sides in the back. Would be sweet if to get some new leather, but what is there still looks new.
Old 11-04-10, 07:31 AM
dormie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
You should avoid the wind noise fix TSIBs offered by Lexus. Reports in this forum indicate that none have been very effective. The "Cross Wind Turbulence" TSIB detracts from the appearance of the car and no one has ever reported an improvement from that and it is irreversible - it involves shortening the wiper blade on one side and adding some plastic strips to the sides of the windshield.
Thanks, I have tried to call my service advisor this morning to stop the wind fix, hopefully my messages get to him in time. I'm going to do your fix regardless, hopefully one of the other the car will be sealed up nice and tight!
Old 11-04-10, 07:40 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Get the extended warranty, and don't worry for a few more years..
Old 11-04-10, 08:09 AM
dormie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaSyce
Get the extended warranty, and don't worry for a few more years..
I did get the platinum extended warranty (the 8 yr 75k), but I assumed it wasn't as comprehensive as the factory warranty for things like fixing rattles, interior problems, etc. For example, do you think I could get the new seat cushion (and hence, new leather) TSIB done under the platinum extended warranty?
Old 11-04-10, 08:23 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dormie
Thanks! Can you tell me what the lower b pillar garnish is? Not up to speed on the references on this car yet. They called yesterday afternoon and said they heard a popping noise and that they are replacing brake actuators as well.

Anyone know what the navigation firmware update tab is?

As for the seat replacement tab, is it for the lower cusion or the back? I find the seats kinda pinch me on the sides in the back. Would be sweet if to get some new leather, but what is there still looks new.
See attached PDF for the B-Pillar Lower Garnish Wear replacement TSIB info.

Far as your seat check and see if the lumbar supprot is not maxed out, when I first got mine it was and was killing my back (pinching). The control was the opposite of the 430's control, which was wierd to me.
Attached Files
Old 11-04-10, 12:32 PM
dormie
Driver School Candidate

Red face

Originally Posted by Tee
See attached PDF for the B-Pillar Lower Garnish Wear replacement TSIB info.

Far as your seat check and see if the lumbar supprot is not maxed out, when I first got mine it was and was killing my back (pinching). The control was the opposite of the 430's control, which was wierd to me.
THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! The car interior is 99.9% perfect as new EXCEPT those two exact pieces where the little corner nub sticking out has been abraded by too many asses rubbing across it. I was going to call and get a price on them and pay to replace them myself, this is GREAT. Thank you!!!!

As for the seat adjustment, I thought it would just be a seat adjustment option, I can't believe there isn't a "wing" in and out setting for the outter edges of the seat back. My 1991 toyota supra has this adjustment on the seats. I thought I messed with all the settings, but perhaps not. I will try again.

Is it worth it to get the lower seat replaced under the TISB? Is it much more comfortable? I found my rear was kinda sore after driving it home from Dallas to Austin.
Old 11-04-10, 12:34 PM
dormie
Driver School Candidate

Question

Also, where are you guys getting these TSIBs? I've seen that one site that has a lot of them collected, but I didn't see this particular one there. Is there another site that has another collection of them?
Old 11-05-10, 07:47 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is the TSB for the glove box? Thanks!
Old 11-17-10, 04:04 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

you might want to start here: http://www.lambros.net/2007LS460L/tsib/