LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

HID Fog Install DIY w/PICS for LS460

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 09:41 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Where did you buy that connector?
Old 11-29-10, 09:55 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Nevermind. Ordered a hid kit (9006) from hidextra and it has the connector. Thx.
Old 12-05-10, 12:36 PM
dormie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those hidextra kits look nice, but they only offer 3k,5k,6k, etc... so we can't match to headlights. anyone have a pic with 5k fogs with our stock headlamps?
Old 12-05-10, 03:07 PM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dormie
those hidextra kits look nice, but they only offer 3k,5k,6k, etc... so we can't match to headlights. anyone have a pic with 5k fogs with our stock headlamps?
I could be wrong but I thought that 5K is equivalent to our stock headlamp. At least that what I read somewhere.

Installed mine today and it was easier than expected.
Old 12-05-10, 08:19 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vi-Tuyen
I install mine and they look great. But I found out one thing weird, after the kit installed, my parking sensor somtime beeping while the car rolling, or park. (there was no car infront, no dust or bugs cover the sensor.) after 2 weeks I took the HID kit off the car, and now it is normal.

anyone know what was the cause?
Vi-Tuyen, when yours beep, were they the front sensors or the front corner sensors? we're having this problem. It's on a GX460. We installed the HID kit from HIDextra, which i know are good quality stuff from personal experience and forum feedback. But somehow the kit is causing the two front parking sensor to go on intermittently. Once we turn off the fog lights, the beeping stops and goes back to normal.

The weird thing is the two front corner parking sensors seem to be just fine. And the fog lights are closer to the corner parking sensors, and we installed the ballasts behind the fog light screwed into some plastic piece inside the bumper near the wheel well area. So in terms of spacing, it should be closer to the corner parkings sensors. But the ones that beep are the front ones.

Anyone with any ideas?
Old 12-05-10, 08:38 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Hid discharges high output/wattage/current (thick wire coming out of ballast). If this wire touches or close to other sensor wires it may cause interferences. Best thing is to ziptie it AWAY from other wires/components.
Old 12-06-10, 01:00 PM
CJITTY

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

There are ebay vendors selling the standard pig tail hid bulbs for aftermarket ballast setups in 4300K color. I always believed that headlights and fogs should either:

1) match i.e. 4300K and 4300K or 5000K and 5000K, etc
or
2) Headlights should be higher kelvin than fogs. Like 4300K headlights/3000K fogs or 5000K heads/4300K

I think it looks real ugly when cars have blue fogs and white headlights.

I have yellow hid fogs bulbs in now, looks really good

Originally Posted by dormie
Old 12-06-10, 01:03 PM
CJITTY

I have only had the front sensor go off once or twice, but hasn't done so since. I was running the fogs on all the time just to see, but can't get them to constantly beep. I think i have some good wires and ballasts that are well insulated. I think a ziptie to keep the wires away from the sensors and their wiring is a good route for sure.

Originally Posted by raptor22
Vi-Tuyen, when yours beep, were they the front sensors or the front corner sensors? we're having this problem. It's on a GX460. We installed the HID kit from HIDextra, which i know are good quality stuff from personal experience and forum feedback. But somehow the kit is causing the two front parking sensor to go on intermittently. Once we turn off the fog lights, the beeping stops and goes back to normal.

The weird thing is the two front corner parking sensors seem to be just fine. And the fog lights are closer to the corner parking sensors, and we installed the ballasts behind the fog light screwed into some plastic piece inside the bumper near the wheel well area. So in terms of spacing, it should be closer to the corner parkings sensors. But the ones that beep are the front ones.

Anyone with any ideas?
Old 12-06-10, 03:22 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

thanks randomwalk and CJITTY for the suggestions. we'll try that.
Old 12-11-10, 10:37 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Big Props to CJITTY

For helping & installing my HID fogs last night! Thx again buddy for putting sometime aside to help me out. Loving the the how they look pics don't do it justice.

I'm running Garax 6000K bulbs for lows & Apexcone Raptor HID Kit 3000K for fogs. Legs below belong to CJITTY, my car is on the left in the last two pics.
Attached Thumbnails HID Fog Install DIY w/PICS for LS460-photo-1.jpg   HID Fog Install DIY w/PICS for LS460-photo-2.jpg   HID Fog Install DIY w/PICS for LS460-photo-4.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Boomin (04-13-20)
Old 12-11-10, 11:10 AM
CJITTY

Of course man, glad to help out my fellow Club Lexus and Acurazine people when |I can! It's lookin good man , although I need to get a new set of 3000Ks because my bulbs next to yours look watered down and not as yellow as yours This install seems so easy now that I have done it a few times on my car and now yours. I need to start chargin for this sorta mess haha j/k

And my legs look broke than a mug in that pic lol

Originally Posted by Tee
For helping & installing my HID fogs last night! Thx again buddy for putting sometime aside to help me out. Loving the the how they look pics don't do it justice.

I'm running Garax 6000K bulbs for lows & Apexcone Raptor HID Kit 3000K for fogs. Legs below belong to CJITTY, my car is on the left in the last two pics.
Old 12-13-10, 11:31 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice work there fellas! Quick question - what is the highest usable temp that can be used for the low beams. If 4300k is stock, will 5k be ok and 6k too much? I want to have the highest amount of white usable light. Not that blue/purple stuff that's useless... Thanks!
Old 12-13-10, 12:29 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
Nice work there fellas! Quick question - what is the highest usable temp that can be used for the low beams. If 4300k is stock, will 5k be ok and 6k too much? I want to have the highest amount of white usable light. Not that blue/purple stuff that's useless... Thanks!
If the most useable light output HID is 4300K what you already have, most car manufactures use 4300K temp. Anything else you will not like so you will be fine with the OEM bulbs.
Old 12-13-10, 01:30 PM
CJITTY

in my opinion:

For most usable light and lumens on the road for nighttime driving: 4300K (OEM) as TEE mentioned
For slightly less usable light but mostly white with slight hint of blue: 5000K
For really nice color, less light on the ground, but still a decent amount for city driving that also lights the street signs and road reflectors up: 6000K
For most effective lighting in bad weather (rain, snow, fog): 3000K Yellow, especially useful for fog lights that light up the sides and immediate front of the vehicle

I had 6000K's in my Acura and it didn't work for me that well driving on open road with no street lights. So went back to 4300K. If you drive mostly in the city, I think 6000K is about as high as you want to go.

Last edited by CJITTY; 12-13-10 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-13-10, 03:28 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting. I asked this because I've seen other cars that eventually pull up beside me at a light for example, that have a slightly whiter light than my LS does, and I think they not only look better, but the road in front is easier to see in dry conditions. Not sure how it would be on wet asphalt. So I wonder if those are also 4300k (maybe a different bulb/ballast brand) or if they could be of a higher temp, maybe 5k.

Quick Reply: HID Fog Install DIY w/PICS for LS460