LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

50% Windshield Tint Pic Request/Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 01:47 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts
Default 50% Windshield Tint Pic Request/Opinions?

Does anyone have an LS460 with 50% windshield tint and beige interior? If so, can you please post up some pics?

Yes, I know it is illegal in all states and all that, but I saw another car with 50% tint on the windshield and it looked really nice but still didn't look overly obvious.

I have 25% all around right now, reads out at 19% on the tint meter. The front windshield on the 460 is HUGE and really making the tint look lighter and letting a bunch of light in through the front. I like the benefit of tint for reducing UVs, but the privacy factor is nice too.

I am deciding what to do with tinting the front windshield, just trying to get some opinions..specifically from LS 460 owners with the brighter interiors and using 50%..I won't go 35% on the windshield like many others..wayyy too dark and obvious IMO

Thanks
Old 10-13-10, 03:43 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Sorry CJITTY, but I have a real problem with people who illegally tint their windows. When I'm driving in my car, and especially riding on my motorcycle, I want to be able to SEE the other drivers, more specifically where they are or are not looking. I don't understand "the privacy factor". Are you having sex, picking your nose, drinking Jack Daniels, what????
Old 10-13-10, 04:51 PM
CJITTY

I see you got jokes..not sure how things are up in MA where you are, but here in ATL, you have to drive through some bad parts to get to good parts of town. Don't need folks being able to tell real easily how many people are in my car, which is usually one.

Also, since tinting my girlfriend's car, she now feels like she can drive in peace without all the constant bafoonery when dudes roll up tryin to holla at her at every light or following her around hoping she'll stop so they can spit game and made her feel very uncomfortable with these aggressive dudes..she says that now that her windows are dark, she doesn't have this problem anymore..these fools can only see a silhouette and don't bother to investigate further. She is so happy she got them tinted. If she is driving my car, she'll have that same "safer" feeling.

I also do a lot of road trips at night, having the tint reduces glare which is nice. I can see just fine with dark tint. I won't do 5%, too dangerous. I can see you motorcycle folks just fine, I usually hear you before I see you anyway.

My tint is no darker than the rear of SUVs, Vans and Trucks which is around 15-20%, so do you get mad at those drivers too? Should they not make tinted glass on those vehicles? Unless you are right next to them, you can't really see what they are doing either...just sayin

And yes, if me and my lady want to spend some quality time in a parking lot...the privacy is nice. And occasionally, I gotta dig in my nose to pick a winner..nice to do that in private and avoid a Seinfeld pick vs scratch moment. I absolutely don't drink and drive by the way.

Bottom line, I like dark windows.. Just giving you another perspective to consider. You may not have these types of concerns where you live. ATL is one of the best and worst places to be. I have a great job here, so I'm gonna have to be here for a minute.

Ok, so does anyone have a tinted windshield?

Last edited by CJITTY; 10-13-10 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-13-10, 06:18 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Good response CJ. I hear you that there are benefits to tinted windows. Although I can't relate to the problems your girlfriend exprienced. My wife is all over Boston for her work and never experienced that problem. I just don't like when the driver and windshield windows are so dark that you can't see the person in the driver's seat.

That sex, nose and JD reference was just meant to be funny, not personal. I've also enjoyed 2 out of those 3 myself!
Old 10-13-10, 06:28 PM
CJITTY

No doubt lol..I thought that was pretty funny..I agree, there is a point where it is simply too dark and it really becomes a safety issue...there are trade offs for sure and trying to find the right balance between looks and functionality is hard to do...I knew a guy who had 5% all around and 15% on front windshield? Couldn't drive at night or in the rain...I never understood what that was all about, but the thousands of dollars in tickets should of been a wake up call for him. My tinter actually has 50% on his van windshield, and it looks really good. Just enough to take out glare without making it dark and you could still see through the window from the outside..almost like wearing sunglasses without wearing sunglasses. I'll probably end up investing the money on tint film companies and not on a tinted windshield lol..