LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

08 LS460 Shut Down and Won't Start Up

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-10, 10:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

thanks for the update d. good luck, it must be painful
Old 02-04-10, 12:07 PM
dk0515
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. It sucks. I hope I'm able to get a new car. I don't want to drive around a car that had a major engine problem. We'll see how it turns out.
Old 02-04-10, 01:05 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More than likely, if you are successful, this will be a voluntary buy-back and not lemon. My car was purchased back by Lexus as a buy-back. This way it doesn't show up on the CARFAX.
Old 02-04-10, 04:51 PM
R6_Dude
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have an extra car you can drive around for the time being? It would suck to rent and it came back as a non-lemon.

I would feel the same way as you. I wouldn't want to drive the car and have it crap out on me.
Old 02-04-10, 04:59 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by gserep1
I am looking at a 2007 LS460L with 20,000 miles, and I am getting worried. I wonder if I should wait before buying this car?

I will also say that I am not used to running 5W-20 oil. It seems a little thin to me, but that is just an opinion. My current GS400 has over 210,000 miles with no engine problems whatsoever.

I wonder how many failures of this type have actually occured on these engines?

I started to pull the trigger today, but started reading this forum for any problems on the new LS. I LOVE the way the car runs, but I don't know now.
It uses 0W20, not 5W20. I wouldn't be worried about buying an LS 460.
I've had mine over three years and just ordered a GX 460. I'm keeping my LS 460.

Craig
Old 02-04-10, 07:14 PM
AceVA
Driver

I'm afraid you will most likely not be successful in your claim if the vehicle comes back with a new engine and problem-free.

I definitely understand your feelings on it being tainted. It would bother me too. Unfortunately, it happens.

I would, however, find out if you are getting a NEW engine or a reman'd motor.
Old 02-04-10, 07:52 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AceVA
I'm afraid you will most likely not be successful in your claim if the vehicle comes back with a new engine and problem-free.

I definitely understand your feelings on it being tainted. It would bother me too. Unfortunately, it happens.

I would, however, find out if you are getting a NEW engine or a reman'd motor.
California lemon law is pretty broad. A vehicle in the shop for more than 30 days total in the 1st 18 months qualifies.
Old 02-04-10, 09:19 PM
AceVA
Driver

Originally Posted by jstjohnz
California lemon law is pretty broad. A vehicle in the shop for more than 30 days total in the 1st 18 months qualifies.
It qualifies if the repair attempt is unsuccessful and/or additional problems arise.

The OP is not pursuing a legal lemon law claim - he is working with the manufacturer (which I consider appropriate given the circumstances.) The manufacturer will likely not replace the vehicle or refund the purchase price if they've successfully repaired the vehicle, but I'm willing to bet they will throw out an extended factory warranty or otherwise compensate the owner with a "good will" offer.

Further, an actual lemon law claim can take months and although a repurchase is possible, including reimbursement for sales tax, license fees, etc. - the manufacturer, even in California, is allowed to deduct a percentage for "reasonable use" / miles driven prior to the failure. This is a percentage of the original purchase price. If given a true lemon, this is a small price to pay to be rid of it, but it is a consideration nonetheless.
Old 02-05-10, 05:41 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first 460L was purchased back by Lexus (for other reasons) and I got 100% of my money back. Car had 11.5K miles on it.
Old 02-05-10, 07:06 AM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AceVA
It qualifies if the repair attempt is unsuccessful and/or additional problems arise.
Caifornia Lemon Law 1793.22.

(b) It shall be presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been made to conform a new motor vehicle to the applicable express warranties if, within 18 months from delivery to the buyer or 18,000 miles on the odometer of the vehicle, whichever occurs first, either

(1) the same nonconformity has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the nonconformity OR

(2) the vehicle is out of service by reason of repair of nonconformities by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 calendar days since delivery of the vehicle to the buyer. The 30-day limit shall be extended only if repairs cannot be performed due to conditions beyond the control of the manufacturer or its agents.
Old 02-05-10, 07:10 AM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dimapb
More than likely, if you are successful, this will be a voluntary buy-back and not lemon. My car was purchased back by Lexus as a buy-back. This way it doesn't show up on the CARFAX.
In California, the car would have a lemon law title even if it was a voluntary buy-back.
Old 02-05-10, 08:21 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

If they don't buy it back, I would ask for an extended warranty...

Good luck,

Craig
Old 02-05-10, 11:27 AM
AceVA
Driver

Originally Posted by jstjohnz
Caifornia Lemon Law 1793.22.

(b) It shall be presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been made to conform a new motor vehicle to the applicable express warranties if, within 18 months from delivery to the buyer or 18,000 miles on the odometer of the vehicle, whichever occurs first, either

(1) the same nonconformity has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the nonconformity OR

(2) the vehicle is out of service by reason of repair of nonconformities by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 calendar days since delivery of the vehicle to the buyer. The 30-day limit shall be extended only if repairs cannot be performed due to conditions beyond the control of the manufacturer or its agents.
Noncomformities is the operative word there... if the vehicle is successfully repaired, there's no longer a noncomformity. Even if you file a proper lemon law claim, the manufacturer is allowed a final repair attempt. Further, if the manufacturer is at the mercy of suppliers or other things "beyond the control of the manufacturer or its agents" - the 30 day qualification can be extended. If the vehicle is fine, Lexus can (and would) argue that point for the next 8 months, running up legal bills for the OP which he'd be responsible for if he does not win his case.

Regardless, the point is moot: 1) The OP isn't pursuing Lexus via legal channels at this point. 2) If he does, he should seek proper legal advice.
Old 02-05-10, 01:22 PM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Who cares? A brand new motor top to bottom is great. Why would anyone complain about that? If it were an electrical gremlin I can understand because you'd never know if it was found.
Just make sure they reset the clock on the 'entire' warranty not just the drivetrain..
Old 02-06-10, 11:37 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is interesting. The way my valve spring broke, it left the two pieces in place and they "held" the valve to keep it from falling into the combustion chamber. Apparently yours fractured and the valve dropped in and fragged the chamber and/or piston crown.

If I were you, I'd lean more toward a buy-back than a lemon action. Lemon can take awhile and be expensive in some cases, whereas some friendly urging on your part might just get Lexus to quietly buy it from you.

Quick Reply: 08 LS460 Shut Down and Won't Start Up