LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Windows and moon roof opened by themselves

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-09, 05:37 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
So Burnaby, your wife also goes through your pockets at 1:00 AM!
She does a thorough cavity check even when I have them on... Hehehe
Old 06-12-09, 08:51 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Helmar, I washed my car last night and afterward parked it in my garage. Because I keep some pricey camera equipment in the trunk, I locked the car, ensuring the windows were closed as well. I went straight upstairs, showered and hit the sack, so there is no chance the keyfob in my pant pocket may have been inadvertently depressed.

This morning, I approached the car and noticed both windows on the driver's side were fully lowered. I walked around to the other side and found the same thing, as well as the sunroof; the car was still locked and the alarm system was armed. Had the car been sitting in the driveway overnight and it rained, it would have been flooded as yours was. Similarly, had the car been parked on a city street, its security and contents would have been seriously compromised.

I will report this to Lexus. I seem to recall this happening to another owner, so we should track this as it's obvious something is not quite kosher here. I have also found on occasion when I am washing the car, the doors lock and unlock themselves for no reason, so I wonder if there is something going on with the wipers' rain sensor looping back a signal back to the windows' control circuit. Just speculating here...

I've experienced this a couple times too, though I've never had the windows/moonroof opening by themselves.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 06-12-09 at 09:54 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-12-09, 10:47 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ +1 here
Old 06-29-09, 09:57 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

I have also found on occasion when I am washing the car, the doors lock and unlock themselves for no reason, so I wonder if there is something going on with the wipers' rain sensor looping back a signal back to the windows' control circuit. Just speculating here...
Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I've experienced this a couple times too, though I've never had the windows/moonroof opening by themselves.
Actually, when I washed my LS yesterday, I noticed that the doors unlock by themselves whenever I spray it with the hose near the door handles, so could the water be triggering the sensors on the door handles for unlocking the car ?

Last edited by Gojirra99; 06-30-09 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-29-09, 04:49 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Yes, that thought had crossed my mind as well. After all, the door handle unlock depends on a minimum level of moisture from one's hand to close the circuit. A person with a dry hand can have trouble with this, but it can be helped along by blowing a warm breath in a closed hand (or even wetting the hand) to get the same results; this has happened to me a few times.

The other component obviously is the presence of the keyfob. My car is two stories down, and I have no trouble locking/unlocking it from upstairs. The range for locking and arming the car is somewhat different than unlocking it by gripping the door handle. Yes, I can unlock the car from upstairs, but it will re-lock itself automatically, as we all know.
Old 06-29-09, 06:10 PM
tommyd3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other component obviously is the presence of the keyfob. My car is two stories down, and I have no trouble locking/unlocking it from upstairs. The range for locking and arming the car is somewhat different than unlocking it by gripping the door handle. Yes, I can unlock the car from upstairs, but it will re-lock itself automatically, as we all know.
So, if you leave the fob upstairs and walk out to the car, will it unlock when you touch the handle? If so, it sounds like the fob range is way excessive!!!
Old 06-30-09, 12:45 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

No, you have to be within three feet of the car for the handle unlock to work, with the keyfob on your person. When I'm saying locking/unlocking from upstairs, I mean by pressing on the respective buttons on the keyfob, as you could with most cars nowadays...
Old 09-08-09, 09:10 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

I think I have just dealt with something similar to what is being discussed in this thread.

Over this past labor day weekend, we were cleaning out the garage at my house on the Sunday. So I parked my IS 350 (2008, bought it new in January) a little bit down the street (can't park right in front because of other cars coming out our narrow street). I could have sworn that I left the windows fully up and the moonroof closed.

Since I didn't need my car for Monday, I just left it out where it was parked. Sunday evening it rained quite a bit.. Monday it rained too. Monday evening my wife drove by the car and then told me the windows were down. I went out to the car and saw that specifically, all 4 windows were down halfway. I got in my car and moved it to the driveway. When I was getting out, it said the moonroof was open, but I did have the interior roof cover closed so nothing came from there (not sure how much the moonroof was open, I didn't check before I closed it - and on the inside, the dial was already set to closed). It was still raining hard so all I did was take a towel and just dry up what I could. Since then, that's all that has been done.

All these things make me wonder about an incident like what's being discussed in this thread - with the fob somehow automatically opening the windows and roof. I'd like to disable that if someone knows how (nice feature, but I've never used it, and better safe than sorry). Thanks to these posts, I'm thinking about contacting the dealer and maybe they can help. I didn't notice too terrible of a smell in the car but what's really hurting me is that the area of the driver's seat that was exposed to all the water (And I assume other exposed seat areas of the car) feel's really soft now. The leather looks folded visually. And as a result, I'm pretty sure the seats aren't gripping me as good when I drive. I can live with the fallout from everything else, but I want my driving experience to be 100% so I'm wondering what can be done

Last edited by Shahryar; 09-11-09 at 05:02 AM.
Old 09-09-09, 08:53 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

^^ Just e-mailed Lexus of Silver Spring, the dealer I bought the car from in January. I have gone to them for all my services so far. Hopefully they can help and I can have some of the same service mentioned in the thread
Old 09-15-09, 06:34 PM
lspencer
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy It happened to me!

I left to go out of town Thursday night, left my IS250 parked with the windows rolled up, and came home Sunday night to the windows rolled down halfway and the car soaked from rainstorms Friday and Saturday. I was trying to convince myself that something in my purse put enough pressure on that tiny space on my key for enough time to roll the windows down, although in the 4 years I've had the car it's never happened. It's also very coincidental since I had my car back for one week after the roof and both windshields were replaced when my car was hit by a tree August 9th. I am beginning to think my car is cursed.....

I am sorry it has happened to others but it makes me feel a little better! I took my car back to the place that replaced my roof and they are drying it out...I will definitely have Lexus remove that feature from my car; I have only used a few times and it's not worth it!
Old 12-13-09, 05:07 AM
dcolley
Driver School Candidate

Post Re: Windows opened 'by themselves...'

I know this thread is old but it is still relevant.

I have a Lexus RX400h (2008).

Last night I was doing some gardening in the front of the house and my wife noticed the indicators of our car flashing... We joked about the incident as the keys were in my pocket and I was obviously triggering the door-lock as I bent down. Normally the keys are kept in a safe place in the the house - not in our pockets.

This morning my wife looked out and noticed the windows half-open (both windows at the front). The car was actually locked - but I think this is another feature. If I unlock the car, but don't open a door I've noticed that the car will re-lock itself again after a couple of seconds (perhaps Lexus have thought of this accidental unlocking issue already...).

I Google'd and found this thread... I read here that Lexus has a feature that will open the windows if I hold down a button on the keyfob. I tried it, and I can confirm that the model I have will open the front windows if I hold down the unlock key. If I hold down the lock key then the windows wind up. I did not observe anything happen with the sunroof.

I'll monitor the situation for a while to see if it re-occurs.
Old 12-13-09, 11:12 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dcolley
I know this thread is old but it is still relevant.

I have a Lexus RX400h (2008).

Last night I was doing some gardening in the front of the house and my wife noticed the indicators of our car flashing... We joked about the incident as the keys were in my pocket and I was obviously triggering the door-lock as I bent down. Normally the keys are kept in a safe place in the the house - not in our pockets.

This morning my wife looked out and noticed the windows half-open (both windows at the front). The car was actually locked - but I think this is another feature. If I unlock the car, but don't open a door I've noticed that the car will re-lock itself again after a couple of seconds (perhaps Lexus have thought of this accidental unlocking issue already...).

I Google'd and found this thread... I read here that Lexus has a feature that will open the windows if I hold down a button on the keyfob. I tried it, and I can confirm that the model I have will open the front windows if I hold down the unlock key. If I hold down the lock key then the windows wind up. I did not observe anything happen with the sunroof.

I'll monitor the situation for a while to see if it re-occurs.
Yes this is a standard feature. Even my 2000 GS400 can do this. I think the problem is that people's windows are rolling down and nobody is touching their fob's. I'm actually really nervous about this now. Although I have a garage I think I will head to the dealer and have this feature turned off as I rarely use it.
Old 01-20-10, 05:06 AM
G2Lexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my car in the shop a few months back and tried to have the windows / roof open function disabled and the dealer said that it wasn't possible to disable that function. I just recently had the car in for an oil change (different dealer) and they said that they weren't sure if it was possible.

My SA called me back later in the day to confirm that it was possible and I've since had it done. In a year I'd bet I've found my car with the windows down & sunroof open a total of 6 times...all self-induced by inadvertently pressing the unlock button in my pocket.

While at the dealer I had a chance to talk to the tech that made the adjustment and he said there is all kinds of adjustable settings. I've had some of these done according to the manual but one he mentioned wasn't in there. He said that he can assign a fob to a person so that the car settings (programmed radio stations, seat, mirrors, etc.) adjust automatically. My BMW did this but I didn't know it was possible with the LS. Has anyone had this done? Are there any other cool configurations I don't know about???
Old 01-20-10, 06:48 PM
tvdias
Driver School Candidate

Might want to read the owners manual. Associating a key fob with the seat position / steering wheel adjustments can be done by the owner.

Vern
Old 01-20-10, 07:07 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

+1^^...............

Quick Reply: Windows and moon roof opened by themselves