LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

8.1 Nav upgrade with nav override..anyone do it yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-09, 03:47 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 8.1 Nav upgrade with nav override..Good news

My car is going in Tuesday, I got the card in the mail and was wondering with anyone with the nav over ride like me, did you have it done yet and will the nav still work.

I think I'm going to wait awhile......has any one spoke with the PS guys.

Last edited by garyr; 01-29-09 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-22-09, 06:13 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by garyr
My car is going in Tuesday, I got the card in the mail and was wondering with anyone with the nav over ride like me, did you have it done yet and will the nav still work.

I think I'm going to wait awhile......has any one spoke with the PG guys.
It works fine. The warning message automatically goes off.
Old 01-22-09, 07:52 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by USLEX
It works fine. The warning message automatically goes off.
That happened with 7.1.

8.1 hasn't been out but a short while ...

Old 01-22-09, 10:29 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

I think I'm going to wait awhile......has any one spoke with the PS guys.
I know they already tested the module on a few 2009 LS460AWD with the 8.1 and everything is working just fine.
Old 01-22-09, 10:47 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
That happened with 7.1.

8.1 hasn't been out but a short while ...

I had mine updated the beginning of the year before these mailers came out. Also I misread the question. I do not have the mod just the 8.1 upgrade.
Old 01-29-09, 08:42 PM
garyr
Pole Position

I had the 8.1 done and the nav override works fine...........
Old 02-03-09, 02:28 PM
mmorozov
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer wants $400 to upgrade from 6.1 to 8.1. When I was leaving my car for other maintenance, the service advisor bragged about how easy it is to upgrade LS:

- Everything is on the hard drive, so we just connect it to the computer and the update is performed automatically!

My reaction was:

- If it takes less time and effort it should cost less, right?

The advisor quickly realized that he is heading in the wrong direction and said:

-Well you know it is complex task even for the computer, so a technician needs to baby-sit the computer and make sure the update goes as planned. If something fails, he needs to restart it

I said that I pay my babysitter $10/hour and asked him to get back to me with the price. He called next day and left a message:

- I just found out that in order to upgrade we need to replace a certain chip in your navigation unit. So the total cost would be $399.

Now I have 2 questions:

1. What the hell is he talking about? What chip? I have a nav override and don't want them messing up my installation when they take out the nav unit.

2. Is 8.1 really worth upgrading to? Are there any other changes besides the splash screen behavior change?
Old 02-03-09, 02:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

talk about stupid service adviser, that's one prime example. he's pretty stupid

1) they don't need a "chip", they don't need to take anything apart in your car. they just need to get a usb key drive from lexus that will allow them to download the data from the computer to your car through a usb cable. that usb drive is one time use only. if anything, that's the "chip" he is talking about

2) i agree screen, and mostly just POI or new roads/addresses. for example my address wasn't there on 6.1 and 7.1 (built in 2006) and it's in the 8.1

other than that, no other major difference. so you make the call.
Old 02-04-09, 11:03 AM
garyr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmorozov
My dealer wants $400 to upgrade from 6.1 to 8.1. When I was leaving my car for other maintenance, the service advisor bragged about how easy it is to upgrade LS:

- Everything is on the hard drive, so we just connect it to the computer and the update is performed automatically!

My reaction was:

- If it takes less time and effort it should cost less, right?

The advisor quickly realized that he is heading in the wrong direction and said:

-Well you know it is complex task even for the computer, so a technician needs to baby-sit the computer and make sure the update goes as planned. If something fails, he needs to restart it

I said that I pay my babysitter $10/hour and asked him to get back to me with the price. He called next day and left a message:

- I just found out that in order to upgrade we need to replace a certain chip in your navigation unit. So the total cost would be $399.

Now I have 2 questions:

1. What the hell is he talking about? What chip? I have a nav override and don't want them messing up my installation when they take out the nav unit.

2. Is 8.1 really worth upgrading to? Are there any other changes besides the splash screen behavior change?

If you have the 6.1, you still have to push "I Agree" every time you start the car. 8.1 will fix that so you don't have to push anything to use the nav. The dealer did my 7.1 to get rid of that message for free. The 8.1 cost me $275. so try another dealer who cares.

It updates, grace notes (Song Titles) for the hard drive, points of interest and most new (3 year old I think) address. If you use the nav a lot like I do it's worth it. It does seem to locate things easier now but to early to tell.
Old 02-04-09, 02:11 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

It updates, grace notes (Song Titles) for the hard drive...
Grace Notes Updates are not included with the NAV update, but are free, quarterly, while the car is under warranty.
Old 12-01-10, 11:32 AM
ranger2692
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down 2008 LS460 Nav Upgrade to vers 10.1

I was reading in a few posts that from vers 8.1 up that Lexus now permits "overide" on the Nav system, I had 8.1 prior to upgrding to 10.1 and I can tell you this is incorrect! The only thing Lexus changed is getting rid of the "I AGREE" requirement, you or your passenger still can not enter anything into the nav while the vehicle is in motion! I thought it was important to point this out before a bunch of Lexus owners get misled and spend $$ for nothing.
Old 12-02-10, 01:26 PM
marky2mark
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger2692
I was reading in a few posts that from vers 8.1 up that Lexus now permits "overide" on the Nav system, I had 8.1 prior to upgrding to 10.1 and I can tell you this is incorrect! The only thing Lexus changed is getting rid of the "I AGREE" requirement, you or your passenger still can not enter anything into the nav while the vehicle is in motion! I thought it was important to point this out before a bunch of Lexus owners get misled and spend $$ for nothing.
They are talking about the aftermarket nav override module from Prestigious.
Old 12-02-10, 03:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yup, been saying it, toyota still locks out everything
Old 12-03-10, 12:26 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

I love my Prestigious over-ride unit, works great!
Old 01-06-11, 05:07 PM
swabby
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know if the Prestigious unit will work with the SC430

Quick Reply: 8.1 Nav upgrade with nav override..anyone do it yet?