LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What Do You Use For Roadside Assistance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-08, 06:00 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Clemgrad85 -- I hate to tell you this, but if your battery is dead, Lexus Link doesn't work. After your free one year subscription runs out, make sure your cell phone is always in your pocket.

My car came with Lexus Link and Adv Park. Guide. -- I never use either -- I doubt I ever will. Save the $199.00 and use it to upgrade your cell phone.
Old 04-22-08, 07:36 AM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jlawr
Clemgrad85 -- I hate to tell you this, but if your battery is dead, Lexus Link doesn't work. After your free one year subscription runs out, make sure your cell phone is always in your pocket.

My car came with Lexus Link and Adv Park. Guide. -- I never use either -- I doubt I ever will. Save the $199.00 and use it to upgrade your cell phone.
jlawr....excellent point on the dead battery deal....no link....however, unless my phone is also dead (which would mean I'm really in a bind), I have the Lexus Link # stored in my mobile phone as well. As I said, I would try a local dealership first, but if none available I will try the Lexus Link as a second option. I hope I never have to use Lexus Link, but some of the basic features seem of interest in an emergency. I have never locked my keys in a car, but I believe you need Lexus Link for the them to open the car remotely (I might be wrong on that, maybe you don't need LL?). Also, features such as the airbag deployment notification might come in handy depending upon the type of accident and if in a remote area. I would not have added the LL if I didn't have to have it, but, since it is there, I will likely pay the $199. I'll deal with that in another 10 months! By the way, it does mention roadside assistance as one of the features....it might suck....but hopefully I'll never have to find out. It's like my disability coverage....hopefully I'll never use it, but if I do need it.....glad I got it!
Old 04-22-08, 10:48 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

does lexus link notify lexus in the event of an accident automatically? or do you have to push the button to get any time of response?

thats why i lik GMs onstar, because i could be out in the middle of nowhere, and still get help even if im unconcious
Old 04-22-08, 11:36 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

RXSF, LL WILL notify authorities automatically for you even if you are unable to speak.
Old 04-22-08, 12:05 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clemgrad85
Wouldn't Lexus Link be helpful as well? Only had my car now for about 2 months and, knock on wood, haven't had any reason to call for roadside assistance, but if I was near a Lexus dealership I would call them first, and if not, then I'd hit the Luxus Link button. At first I didn't really want Lexus Link, but it came with the package I got, and seems like not a bad deal for $199 starting in year 2.
clemgrad85, if you are responding to me, we did call Lexus Link from my LS (also at the parking lot). However, they could not help. They connected us with Roadside Assistance and the rest was a disaster that I described above.
Old 04-22-08, 12:48 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Patsoxfan....no....wasn't really responding to you, was just a general statement asking if Lexus Link (LL) would also help. I do have a question though, if you have LL couldn't they have opened the car? Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought if you had LL, and you locked your keys in the car, they would be able to unlock your car? Does it not work if the car is running as in your situation? I might be totally misunderstanding the unlock feature.
Old 04-23-08, 07:36 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clemgrad85
Patsoxfan....no....wasn't really responding to you, was just a general statement asking if Lexus Link (LL) would also help. I do have a question though, if you have LL couldn't they have opened the car? Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought if you had LL, and you locked your keys in the car, they would be able to unlock your car? Does it not work if the car is running as in your situation? I might be totally misunderstanding the unlock feature.
First of all, LL stated that since we were not calling from the affected vehicle (we called from my LS), they could not help. Thinking about it, I don't understand what difference that makes (maybe it has something to do with security). But I believe they also said that they could not do anything if the engine is running, the car locked, and the keys outside the car. LL contacted Roadside Assistance and RA then called my business partner's cell phone. They said that they could not unlock the car remotely. Amazingly enough, they were suggesting that we should just leave the car there overnight and let it run out of gas (can you believe that?). They then got a hold of a towing service in a nearby town. That service was also useless. Neither the RA nor the towing service told us that all we had to do is remove the plastic cover on the door handle and stick the key in and unlock the car. They knew that we had the key. I knew that there had to be a way. After about an hour of trials and tribulations, we found out how to do using my owner's manual. None of us had any idea that the key hole was hidden by this cover piece. One could not duplicate these crazy chain of events if he tried.
Old 04-23-08, 07:49 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Neither the RA nor the towing service told us that all we had to do is remove the plastic cover on the door handle and stick the key in and unlock the car.
i agree it can be frustrating. but you cant blame the towing service, since they arent particular to lexus models and they probably dont know anything about these luxury conveniences. the LL personel should have known, though lexus link is really "supposed" to be used for directions, making reservations, accident help. its more like a concierge service than a "help im locked out" kinda service. plus, most of the time, the criteria to work for these service is if you can pick up the phone, and speak some english

i would have called my service advisor. in fact i did call him when my battery died because i had no idea what the number of lexus roadside was. i had to call his personal cell, during dinner time but he helped a lot and i got what i needed