LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tips and Tricks you might not know about your LS

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-18, 04:11 AM
docmarioce
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
oh on the door handle... yea that will work just like all other lexus. i thought you said lock button on the remote, now that shouldn't work on us spec cars
I had a 2013 LS 350 that used to be able to close or open all the windows and the sunroof from the remote by pressing twice the unlock or lock bottoms in a quick sequence and keep it pressed for 3 seconds. Is a feature that needed to be programmed at the dealer. You might talk to the dealer I'm pretty sure this car has it too.
Old 07-23-18, 07:27 AM
ldmf
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I you have the "Hold" button on your steering wheel it will keep you stopped in traffic, so you do not have to keep your foot on the brake. Good feature.

Now for the part that you might not know, if you are in "hold" mode (the yellow light says hold on the dash) and you unbuckle your seat beat the emergency brake is applied. And the Hold function does not work on a hill.
The following users liked this post:
Santa01 (09-13-20)
Old 07-23-18, 01:56 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Why would the hold button not “work” on a hill? Not enough gripping power?
Old 07-23-18, 03:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

It has to be a pretty steep hill for it not to work.
Santa01 (09-13-20)
Old 07-24-18, 04:08 AM
ldmf
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I can only tell you that on the top of my driveway that is fairly steep, I tried it and a message came on that said Hold doesn't work on steep incline, or something close to that.
Old 07-24-18, 05:16 PM
mikelaca
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very helpful thread, thanks to all.
Old 10-26-19, 01:45 PM
Spartan117
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

I would like to share a few of my findings. They are straight from the manual. I think these features are very thoughtful!

Trunk easy closer (just like soft-door close)- In the event that the truck lid is left slightly open, the trunk easy closer will automatically close it to the fully closed position.

Trunk jam protection (cars with power trunk opener and closer option)- While the trunk lid is closing automatically, the trunk lid will stop closing and open if something gets caught.

Window jam protection: If an object becomes caught between the window and the window frame, windows travel is stopped and the window is opened slightly.

Window pinch protection: While the window is opening, if an object is caught between the door and window, window travel is stopped.
toyo5oh (08-28-22)
Old 11-09-19, 08:56 AM
LS460Crown
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default This is great information

Originally Posted by Spartan117
I would like to share a few of my findings. They are straight from the manual. I think these features are very thoughtful!

Trunk easy closer (just like soft-door close)- In the event that the truck lid is left slightly open, the trunk easy closer will automatically close it to the fully closed position.

Trunk jam protection (cars with power trunk opener and closer option)- While the trunk lid is closing automatically, the trunk lid will stop closing and open if something gets caught.

Window jam protection: If an object becomes caught between the window and the window frame, windows travel is stopped and the window is opened slightly.

Window pinch protection: While the window is opening, if an object is caught between the door and window, window travel is stopped.
This is good stuff, thank you all!
Old 11-15-20, 11:13 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,147 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by tennisstar
you must have the side mirror button pushed to either L or R in order to have the mirrors drop down when backing up....
Wow, I feel like an idiot now. I kept thinking my reverse tilt doesn't work
Old 11-16-20, 06:07 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GR6RR
Lexus pouch First aid kit has some velco on the back, you can stick this to anywhere inside your trunk.
Mine would fall down or get pushed when the trunk was full.
The first aid kit is also small enough to fit perfect in the small area behind the rear armrest door that goes to the trunk.
Old 06-25-23, 05:43 AM
Tked
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb
If, when you move the shift lever to "M", you then hold it forward, it will jump from 4th to 8th. Conversely, if you pull back and hold, the transmission will shift from the gear you're in down to 4th.
I would like to add on here to mckellyb's comment. If you have Paddle Shifters, hold down the minus and it will drop to 4th. Holding the plus paddle will jump up to 8th, or what I like to call it, auto sport mode, lol. This is on a 2013 f sport, not sure if it works on 2012 on down.

Last edited by Tked; 06-25-23 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-29-23, 06:04 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Tked
I would like to add on here to mckellyb's comment. If you have Paddle Shifters, hold down the minus and it will drop to 4th. Holding the plus paddle will jump up to 8th, or what I like to call it, auto sport mode, lol. This is on a 2013 f sport, not sure if it works on 2012 on down.
I'm not knocking it, but I'm wondering why you would want to do that? There's likely a scenario where you may want to, but I'm not creative enough to realize. The only think I can think of is if you're toodling along in 8th and want to "drop a gear (or 3) and disappear."
Old 06-30-23, 06:59 PM
Cooker883
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Useful tip: when the mufflers on your 2012 LS AWD rot out, go to your friendly Midas store and have them hook up a set of glass packs. It’ll cost you about an hour, and $375 or do. You’ll find a bit of a drone around 2000 rpm, but otherwise the car is about as quiet as it was before. Oh, one last thing: expect your fuel mileage to INCREASE by about 5 mpg.
Old 07-02-23, 07:39 AM
Tked
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
I'm not knocking it, but I'm wondering why you would want to do that? There's likely a scenario where you may want to, but I'm not creative enough to realize. The only think I can think of is if you're toodling along in 8th and want to "drop a gear (or 3) and disappear."
Honestly, that is the only use case I have found for it. Maybe if you you wanted to get to 4th or 8th with out pulling the paddles 4 times, I guess I could see that.
Old 07-02-23, 08:32 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

There is a smog/air quality sensor with filter that controls automatic recirculation for the climate control. The small sensor is at the top, front passenger side of radiator. One fastener to remove it and it can easily be opened to replace or wash the sensor filter. You'll be shocked at how dirty it is on all but newer cars.
Tked (07-15-23)

Quick Reply: Tips and Tricks you might not know about your LS