LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dash Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-07, 02:07 PM
bsims_01
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Rattle

I was wondering if anyone out there has experienced a rattle in the dash of their ls460?? And if so, what was done to fix it.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a pronounced rattle in the dash in the vicinity of the defrost vents. It sounds as though something has come loose in that area. If I press firmly on the dash in front of the defrost vents, the rattle stops.

Curiously, the rattle largely dissappears when the car has been sitting in the sun for a while. Obviously, something in there is expanding in the heat.

I had a service appointment scheduled earlier this week but cancelled because I am nervous about a service tech tearing into the dash of my brand new car. I was thinking of trying to fix the problem myself by wedging some foam below the dash next to the defrost vents. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have the dealership look at it when the car goes in for its first service.

Any thoughts??
Old 10-07-07, 10:44 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do the foam thing. It could push the windshield out and make a big problem.
Old 10-07-07, 08:51 PM
Stoks
Rookie

I have the LS460 SWB and am kind of holding my breath on this issue.

I previously owned a 2006 GS300 which I purchased during the month of April 2006. I had no problems with any rattling noise in the dash during the warmer summer months, but as soon as it started to get cold during the winter months, I started hearing a rattling noise when I would hit small bumps in the road.

On further thought, I'm not really sure if "rattling" is the proper word here. I think maybe "popping" or "cracking" would be a better description of what I would hear. Funny thing is, it would be worst when I would first drive out of my garage early in the morning when temperatures were low. As the day progressed and temperatures rose, the "popping" or "cracking" sound would dissipate. The sound seemed to come from somewhere around the information screen in the center of the dash of the GS.

I took the car to the dealer and complained about the popping and cracking noise and they road tested the car. The dealership told me that they had confirmed the popping noise and would install additional foam or something around the chasis of the information screen. When I got the car back, I didn't seem to have the same level of noise as before, but it also coincided with a warm up in outside temperatures and the coming of Spring. I traded the GS in for an LS in June of this year, and so I was never able to confirm if the dealership had in fact corrected the problem for good.

Now, as the winter months are approaching again, I'm a little nervous about hearing that popping noise in the dash of my LS460. I really think that Lexus may have a design issue with respect to the information screens. I swear, I think I heard a few popping noises recently when temperatures were lower during a few days. But, maybe I'm just hyper-sensitive to it after dealing with the noise around the info screen in the GS.

If this noise starts up again in this car, I will be royally pissed!
Old 10-08-07, 11:47 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

I have popping/cracking noises that come from the Nav surround area and the center gear shift console where the wood trim is in contact with padded vinyl.

I hope to get this corrected on my 5000 service.
Old 10-08-07, 01:51 PM
bsims_01
Rookie

My rattle noise is not coming from the nav screen area. It's much further forward on the dash. I believe it emanates from the area in between the defrost vent and the windshield. In fact, when I'm on a rough road, I can firmly press that area with my fingers and the rattle stops.

Gotta love those gremlins!! I think I'll let the dealer work on it, so if anything is damaged, I'll know who to point the finger at.
Old 03-04-10, 03:02 PM
kc1222
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 LS460L Dash Rattle / Creaking

I have something similar going on (and haven't yet managed to get it into the Service Dept thanks to the media-exacerbated recall situation).

Specifically, my '07 LS460L (40k mi) has developed an intermittent sound behind the dashboard (I think). From the driver's seat it sounds directly ahead (left hand side) and deep behind the dash. From the passenger seat it sounds directly ahead as well (so, on the right hand side). One passenger thought it emanated from overhead, near where the windshield meets the headliner.

Another oddity is that you can induce the sound in a number of ways ranging from turning the steering where rapidly back and forth, to going over bumps...

The sound isn't always present under these circumstances. There seems to be a temperature aspect, as if something is expanding into something else.

The sound is more of a plastic creaking as it contacts metal than a typical metal-on-metal rattle. At colder winter temps, the car is silent-- just the way it should be. But when the outside temp is in the 50's and the dash has been warmed by the sun, there is a pronounced, intermittent yet frequent sound that resembles what you would hear from a shopping bag full of electronics packed in styrofoam and clear plastic crinkling together than the quiet hum Lexus intended for of its hyper-luxury car.

Has anyone experienced ANYTHING like this. This is annoying, not to mention embarrassing with friends and family. Sure would appreciate help!

Kc
Old 03-04-10, 05:34 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Check these out:

http://www.lambros.net/LexusTechInfo...L-NV011-07.pdf

http://www.lambros.net/LexusTechInfo...L-NV005-07.pdf
Old 03-04-10, 09:42 PM
gs4mock2
Rookie

good info thanks............am having the same problem will print and bring to the dealer
Old 03-05-10, 07:11 AM
ls460love
Driver

The colder weather will definitely bring out the creaks (I can't say I have rattles though). Simple contraction of parts means noise where noise wasn't during the warmer months. I suspect my non air suspension model suffers more than those driving L's...

I have read many articles praising the engineering prowess at Lexus for the LS460 interior. Now granted, they didn't ding them for the wind noise, but the sheer amount of parts in the dash would be suicide at the hands of lesser manufacturers. Take a look at Benz and BMW... The dash's are becoming more sparse, which has a direct correlation to rattles, issues, et al.

I went for a 30 minute ride to a meeting in a new S400 (hybrid) this week. It had all of 2100 miles and doesn't sport anything aggressive ride wise (air suspension, small wheels, etc.). The ride was really supple and I didn't hear a single noise from the dash. I did hear other types of noises from the various compartments (predominately door and rear armrest) as we went over rough pavement.
Old 03-05-10, 07:35 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I had the updated clips installed and the creaking went away...
Old 03-05-10, 05:43 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Let the dealer fix it. I had a noise coming from the heater/AC vents several years ago in one of my LS430's. The dealer's tech tore out the whole dash and worked on the heater/AC unit and fixed the problem. If you don't let them fix it, they don't know they have a problem. Good luck.
Old 12-02-20, 10:27 PM
snakehead
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

2007 LS460 i have the same issue , night time when it cools down not a peep but when it warms up and there was sun on the dash it sounds like some one is constructing balloon animals inside the dash towards the windshield in line with the gauge cluster...

Makes me want to sell it , it is horrible for such a smooth quiet car...
Old 12-03-20, 05:35 AM
tx170754
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by snakehead
2007 LS460 i have the same issue , night time when it cools down not a peep but when it warms up and there was sun on the dash it sounds like some one is constructing balloon animals inside the dash towards the windshield in line with the gauge cluster...

Makes me want to sell it , it is horrible for such a smooth quiet car...
Had the same issue on my, now departed” 2007, I was able to fix the issue by using felt between the dash and the window, from one side to the other, you have to push it inside as much as you can and it takes a lot but it did work, obviously after they replaced the dash part of the melting panels recall the rattles were completely gone.
Old 12-03-20, 07:35 PM
snakehead
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Where do i get this felt ? Its very strange at about 430 pm the squeaking rubbing dash sound goes away at night time ,
I need this felt , this is driving me crazy ...
Old 12-04-20, 03:02 AM
tx170754
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by snakehead
Where do i get this felt ? Its very strange at about 430 pm the squeaking rubbing dash sound goes away at night time ,
I need this felt , this is driving me crazy ...
Hobby Lobby, they have different thicknesses, again you have to go from one side to the other, use a plastic tool like the one for patching holes in the wall ( at Lowe’s , it is pink in color) be patient and try to fill the gap between the window and the dash all the pout as much as you can and push it down, good luck 😊

Quick Reply: Dash Rattle