LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thinking About Letting My LS460 Go

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-07, 02:18 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

People were cutting down Mallory for his decision to trade for a GM. They weren't saying not to post problems about our LS 460's. I still have some turbulence in my car after the laminated glass. Unless Lexus comes out with another TSIB, I'm going to live with the turbulence. I don't have the wind noise leaking in from the top of the drivers side window anymore. I never had noise from the passenger window. I don't think it's right to cut other people down on any forum. It's bad taste in my opinion...

Craig
Old 09-18-07, 02:54 PM
Astie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like Stoks, I wondered about the wind noise being an problem and whether it is a "group think" issue as he suggests. I listened very carefully on my both test drives and I couldn't tell the difference between the wind noise on the SWB and LWB models. I bought the SWB car because of the price difference and the lack of any compelling features on the LWB model.

However, after I purchased the car and made my first longish trip up to Lake Tahoe I really did notice the wind noise. Even my wife commented on the noise, and she hasn't been exposed to the comments on various forums. The question is whether the wind noise is a deficiency in the vehicle or simply a side effect of the lack of other noise.

For me, that was easily answered - my neighbor has recently leased a BMW 535i, and there's very little wind noise in that vehicle at highways speeds. We did test drives in both cars and we both agree on this point. The BMW is almost as quiet at the LS460 when not accelerating, and the seats are much, much more comfortable. Of course, the LS has a larger and more luxurious looking cabin, looks nicer externally, and the 535i has the often maligned I-Drive instead of a real navigation system. But the point relevant to this discussion is that BMW has a significantly lower level of wind noise compared to the SWB LS.

On that basis, I have to respectfully disagree with Stoks comments on "group think". The wind noise on the SWB LS460 is indeed an issue, it isn't something that was dreamed up on this and other forums. I don't believe that the rest of the car is so quiet that the wind noise is the predominant noise we hear and thus focus upon.

I've read that Lexus is redesigning the A-pillar to reduce the noise. I doubt that they would spend engineering time, effort and money on a nonexistent problem. Neither would there be a TSIB on changing the front side windows (hardly an inexpensive fix) if the problem did not exist.
Old 09-18-07, 02:57 PM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mallory H.
I have had to many problems with my LS460 and am now thinking about arbitration or cutting my losses and buying a Cadillac DTS. I never thought I would be looking at going back to Cadillac but I would rather have problems with a $50,000 car than a $72,000 car.
Be really careful with those Cadillacs! I own a used car business and have many many problems with them! So many I'm about to quit selling them. I'm suprised you've had problems with the 460
Old 09-18-07, 03:03 PM
allklr
Pole Position

I really liked the body style of the previous DTS, The new CTS that just came out is very sharp looking. It will be interesting to see what Cadillac's new flagship is going to look like.
Old 09-18-07, 03:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by garyr
The wind noise is bad enough to effect Lexus to came up with a repair. I've asked and asked if you don't hear anything than please don't comment in this thread. What is it with some of you that drives you to comment on things that does not effect you. Not all LS's are built the same and not all peoples hearing are the same. Stokes I hope your not a Lemming.

Fact: This is the loudest luxury car I've every owned to the point I can't stand it.

I'm glad other owners are not experiencing it. The next person to have a problem I'm not experiencing I be sure to post and call you negative. I'm really offended...
because i actually want to experience the wind noise and see what it is like? it's a thread in the forum, everyone can comment.
Old 09-18-07, 04:57 PM
Stoks
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garyr
The wind noise is bad enough to effect Lexus to came up with a repair. I've asked and asked if you don't hear anything than please don't comment in this thread. What is it with some of you that drives you to comment on things that does not effect you. Not all LS's are built the same and not all peoples hearing are the same. Stokes I hope your not a Lemming.

Fact: This is the loudest luxury car I've every owned to the point I can't stand it.

I'm glad other owners are not experiencing it. The next person to have a problem I'm not experiencing I be sure to post and call you negative. I'm really offended...
Lemming? Hmmm...nope, not a lemming Gary. But thanks for your interest.

I posted on this thread because I HAVE been affected by this issue. It's affected me because I've read this thread and others about wind noise and it has conditioned me to be sensitive to hearing turbulence, whistling, etc. Once that happened, I locked on to every hint of sound I could make out and it bugged the hell out of me!

My car IS quiet. In fact, it's so friggin' quiet that I DO hear turbulence around the window area while driving. I have no other road noise, engine noise, rattles or anything else competing for my attention with the air turbulence around the window. Thus, while listening for it and being conditioned to do so by these threads, I have been bothered by it.

Now, is it the same noise you're hearing in your automobile? How would I know? I've actually wondered about that many times. In fact, I would LOVE to be able to ride in your car and hear for myself. If yours sounded like a jack hammer going off in my ear while driving down the highway, I would actually be relieved to find out that my car sidestepped this issue (although I would feel badly for you).

I understand that you're worked up about this, and I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. But, these threads DO provide an opportunity for the most troubled of owners to present their issues in a manner that is not entirely equitable to those that don't have issues. The squeaky wheel is heard much louder on these boards, and it can call attention to issues that would otherwise go unnoticed and unworthy of concern.

THAT is the point I was trying to make. Not that your car isn't loud, but that if there are others whose cars are so damn quiet that while listening intently, they can actually discern some wind turbulence outside the glass, they should not be concerned.

Hope you're not offended now Gary. Really, I am sympathetic to your situation because nobody should spend this much money on a car to be that worked up.

Last edited by Stoks; 09-18-07 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-18-07, 05:38 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Thanks Stokes.......no problem, sorry.
Old 09-18-07, 08:42 PM
Nospinzone

Received 408 Likes on 316 Posts

Whew Gary, I was thinking it was my post that offended you. I certainly didn't mean to imply anyone who has this wind noise problem, or any other problem, shouldn't discuss it here. Really the great thing about boards like this is that we owners can bubble up these issues.

Before the internet you would never know that you were not alone with a problem. I mean I don't personally know another LS460 owner. If I had a problem with my car I could think I was the only one, and of course the dealer would tell all owners they never heard of the problem.

Of course its not just car dealers, I bet lots of companies long for the old days when customers could be kept in the dark!
Old 09-19-07, 01:37 AM
Mallory H.
Driver

I am going to respect the fact that this is a Lexus Forum and just say that I am pleased with my decision and feel that at this time I have accomplished what I sat out to do.One post really took quite a jab at me, but in that he had to consult his Dad explains his lack of knowwledge,immaturity and lack of respect for others opinions.
Some people have such an allegance to a certain car manufacture that it hurts to hear the truth. I think these forums can and have been very valuable in that some owners have been able to get questions answered and problems resolved that perhaps they would not have if they had not visited this forum.
Perhaps there should be two seperate forums, one for people who are exsperiencing problems and one for those who are not and just may be that would cut down on some of the confusion that if your car is problem free good but don't get all bent out of shape because someonelses is not.
It is great to be able to pick and choose to drive whatever you can or can't afford.
God Bless America And God Bless Are Men And Women Serving In The Armed Services.

Last edited by Mallory H.; 09-19-07 at 05:13 AM.
Old 09-19-07, 07:52 AM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mallory H.
I think these forums can and have been very valuable in that some
owners have been able to get questions answered and problems
resolved that perhaps they would not have if they had not visited
this forum.
Very good point.

Years ago when we took such a problem to a dealer, you were going
to hear:

You’re the only one having that problem.” (Which, of course, meant
that you’re an idiot for complaining about it.) So, we were stuck.

Now, thank God for today’s internet camaraderie! A consumer’s win!

Big Jimm
Old 09-19-07, 08:53 AM
TexLex470
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for offending you and for my lack of "knowwledge." Maybe I was a little rough, and I do apologize. I ask my Dad things because he knows alot, and I will ask him about things no matter how old I get, as long as he is around. So call it immaturity if you like.

I just found it odd you fault Lexus for everything and you are getting "employee discount" on your land barge. Most people I know who have a Lexus 98% of time have nothing but GREAT things to say. Some people you JUST CANNOT PLEASE and THERE IS ALWAYS A PROBLEM. Building a house, buying a car, etc always the same.

And to Gary or whoever said the DTS (death to style) is as fast or faster than the 460 is nuts nuts nuts. I think the ES350 is faster than the DTS.

Last edited by TexLex470; 09-19-07 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-19-07, 11:17 AM
Stoks
Rookie

Mallory,

Truly, I hope you are now happy with what you're driving. Hopefully, it won't have the problems you had with your LS460.

I know that no matter how great a car manufacturer is, there are still lemons. Unfortunately, it sounds like you landed one.

I have been fortunate with my LS460. Absolutely, without a doubt, the best car I've ever been in. I wish your experience had been like mine.

Good luck.
Old 09-19-07, 11:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i think this thread has run its course. mallory has made his decision. i am closing this thread. there is another thread for wind noise and other issues / discussions. thanks