ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017-178/)
-   -   New Brake Actuator installed, not clearing codes...... (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017/1015522-new-brake-actuator-installed-not-clearing-codes.html)

Sportznuts 12-24-23 12:35 AM

New Brake Actuator installed, not clearing codes......

I have an independent mechanic install a used OEM brake actuator I purchased. He bled the brakes, ran it through Techstream, codes didn't clear.

Figuring it was a bad brake actuator, I purchased a brand new one, mechanic installed, codes STILL not cleared. On top of that, there is an audible beeping noise that happens periodically.

Has anyone heard of this happening before?

I'm $2,500 in the hole with ABS codes not clearing.

BB9 12-24-23 12:53 AM

Did you use your VIN when ordered those actuators? There are numerous variations and they have to be exact match to your car. It is possible to buy that actuator for your year and model and still get the wrong one. Also, there are few different software options.

Sportznuts 12-24-23 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by BB9 (Post 11636788)
Did you use your VIN when ordered those actuators? There are numerous variations and they have to be exact match to your car. It is possible to buy that actuator for your year and model and still get the wrong one. Also, there are few different software options.

I did use my VIN. Bought the new one on ebay but it was through Bell Lexus in Scottsdale. Dealership.

Side note: TPMS sensor light came on too, probably not connected but worth mentioning.

I did not know there were different variations, haven't seen that in the search on this forum.

I guess I'll bite the bullet and take it into Lexus.

miket000 12-24-23 11:48 AM

Last post, bye all

Boykie 12-24-23 12:32 PM

Gentlemen! Too much. We have NO data whatsoever. What codes? What year even? What module was installed? It's part no? Pictures of anything?
Let's ask questions first, theories later.
Merry Christmas everybody!

Sportznuts 12-25-23 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Boykie (Post 11637018)
Gentlemen! Too much. We have NO data whatsoever. What codes? What year even? What module was installed? It's part no? Pictures of anything?
Let's ask questions first, theories later.
Merry Christmas everybody!

You are so right. I am no car guy but no excuse. I left out important info. I apologize.

2007 LS460.
ABS lights showed up on instrument cluster. Very common issue on LS460.
Scanned by mechanic. It's a bad brake actuator.

Replaced actuator twice and the ABS warning lights still show up.

UPDATE:

I have since talked to a Lexus mechanic about it. He basically said the mechanic must perform a "linear valve offset" after bleeding the brakes through Techstream "in order for codes (warning lights) to go away." He said to take it in to a Lexus, have them run a diagnostic, they will probably bleed the brakes and if that doesn't clear it, try to sell me a new actuator.

swfla 12-26-23 07:30 AM

It's sounds like Lexus mechanic is saying the shop who did the work, didn't finish the job correctly. Have you talked to the shop with this "accusation" yet? They should stand behind their work. Is this a case of "if you think a pro is expensive, see how much an amateur costs you in the end"? There are indie shops who are competent in Lexus. I do wish you a full resolution at the least cost.

Sportznuts 12-27-23 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by swfla (Post 11637749)
It's sounds like Lexus mechanic is saying the shop who did the work, didn't finish the job correctly. Have you talked to the shop with this "accusation" yet? They should stand behind their work. Is this a case of "if you think a pro is expensive, see how much an amateur costs you in the end"? There are indie shops who are competent in Lexus. I do wish you a full resolution at the least cost.

The indie shop did the intial work. The Lexus mechanic I talked to is a friend if mine. My mechanic who did the work is refunding me a good amount. I'm just worried now, when Lexus looks at it, bleeds the brakes. If it doesn't clear the codes, I'm putting a potentially crazy amount to get this resolved.

I'll update after taking the car into Lexus on Saturday. I'm pretty nervous. Thanks for all the help guys.

swfla 12-27-23 03:33 PM

Everything sounds good so far. Hoping a proper Techstream session will solve the issue. So many repairs on Lexus require Techstrean software to complete the job.

Sportznuts 01-02-24 01:47 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...d09ab4ac56.png
What a nightmare.

Striker223 01-02-24 02:00 PM

Typical. That's why many here say to replace everything, if it's ran a long time with the actuator bad it kills everything else.

swfla 01-02-24 02:06 PM

Too bad it turned out to be a second component as well. You had no idea, that happens to members here as well. Hope it's smooth braking from here on out. Glad you shared the outcome.

Black31385 01-02-24 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sportznuts (Post 11636784)
I have an independent mechanic install a used OEM brake actuator I purchased. He bled the brakes, ran it through Techstream, codes didn't clear.

Figuring it was a bad brake actuator, I purchased a brand new one, mechanic installed, codes STILL not cleared. On top of that, there is an audible beeping noise that happens periodically.

Has anyone heard of this happening before?

I'm $2,500 in the hole with ABS codes not clearing.

I had got a letter in the mail from Lexus regarding the ABS. It said if the ABS light is on, then to bring it in to get checked and they will repair it free of charge but if the sensor is showing due to something else then the repairs would not be covered.

I brought it in and they told me that it is covered and they will repair it, but warned me after they repaired it, the ABS light can still come on, and if it does, it is the ABS fuse. They said since the ABS light is on, the system would still run and can cause a failure on the fuse, but would have to replace the whole Junction Fuse box, and this will not be covered. They said this has happened to a few people already.

I just got the call today and they said that its been repaired, but the light came back on and i would have to replace the Junction Fuse box and charged $800 for the part and Labor

swfla 01-02-24 05:03 PM

A cautionary tale for others. it ain't always over after a repair. Thank goodness we don't hear this a lot.

Sportznuts 01-02-24 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by swfla (Post 11641854)
Too bad it turned out to be a second component as well. You had no idea, that happens to members here as well. Hope it's smooth braking from here on out. Glad you shared the outcome.

Yes. It's rare this the 2nd component fails, have never seen anyone mention it on the forum before but haven't done a search on it. Just bad luck. My car is worth $8k and just spent $5k on repairs. Hoping I get my car back tomorrow and it's as good as new. Only 140,000 miles on it. Just broken in. Thanks for being there with me through. That's why I love this forum. Feels like we're all in it together.

Sportznuts 01-02-24 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Black31385 (Post 11641915)
I had got a letter in the mail from Lexus regarding the ABS. It said if the ABS light is on, then to bring it in to get checked and they will repair it free of charge but if the sensor is showing due to something else then the repairs would not be covered.

I brought it in and they told me that it is covered and they will repair it, but warned me after they repaired it, the ABS light can still come on, and if it does, it is the ABS fuse. They said since the ABS light is on, the system would still run and can cause a failure on the fuse, but would have to replace the whole Junction Fuse box, and this will not be covered. They said this has happened to a few people already.

I just got the call today and they said that its been repaired, but the light came back on and i would have to replace the Junction Fuse box and charged $800 for the part and Labor

I'm sorry that happened. It sucks to shell out money for unexpected repairs.

Gerf 01-02-24 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Black31385 (Post 11641915)

There has been a few people mentioning that after replacing the actuator and pump they had to replace the junction box with the abs relay before everything worked properly, I can't seem to find those posts right now though.
I would be a little concerned with that report because of the wording " as a first step replace the actuator " after you've already had 2 installed, unless that's a report from the first or second repair shop.

Gerf 01-02-24 08:19 PM

Found one of those threads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...of-rain-2.html

Black31385 01-03-24 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Sportznuts (Post 11642002)
I'm sorry that happened. It sucks to shell out money for unexpected repairs.

Yeah it does suck, but I am glad they covered the other part. I haven't decided to get it repaired through Lexus yet or not. I found a used Junction box online and was wondering if its hard to replace on my own. Has anyone ever done this before?

Boykie 01-03-24 06:42 AM

Stop DIYing ABS willy-nilly. If this thread isn't enough warning!

99rx 01-03-24 07:38 AM

Be careful! Lexus misdiagnosed mine a few months ago. Mine was already replaced at 72k miles. At ~103k miles I got all the lights on the dash. Had my mechanic scan it and all the codes lined up with the codes listed on the recall/extended warranty letter I had gotten in the mail. I took it to Lexus, they replaced the entire pump assembly again, and the problem remained. Turned out to be a bad fuse block, the one that resides on the driver's side in the trunk. $400 part + labor. I told them to eat it all because I warned them the pump had already been replaced and to ensure it was the pump that was needed again. They billed Lexus $3400 for the pump replacement and that didn't fix the problem. The replacement fuse block is what did it (at the dealer's expense). No issues since.

swfla 01-03-24 07:44 AM

Good reason to take it to Lexus as they will stand behind their diagnosis and work. Sometimes paying a dealer is the best insurance.

Black31385 01-03-24 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by 99rx (Post 11642285)
Be careful! Lexus misdiagnosed mine a few months ago. Mine was already replaced at 72k miles. At ~103k miles I got all the lights on the dash. Had my mechanic scan it and all the codes lined up with the codes listed on the recall/extended warranty letter I had gotten in the mail. I took it to Lexus, they replaced the entire pump assembly again, and the problem remained. Turned out to be a bad fuse block, the one that resides on the driver's side in the trunk. $400 part + labor. I told them to eat it all because I warned them the pump had already been replaced and to ensure it was the pump that was needed again. They billed Lexus $3400 for the pump replacement and that didn't fix the problem. The replacement fuse block is what did it (at the dealer's expense). No issues since.

How did you get them to replace the fuse box for you? They told me they won't replace it bc it's not covered.

Boykie 01-03-24 09:18 AM

It's not a 'fuse box'....

Gerf 01-03-24 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Boykie (Post 11642261)
Stop DIYing ABS willy-nilly. If this thread isn't enough warning!

I think it takes a certain amount of courage for a person with limited experience to dive into some of the repairs I’ve read about here.

There is a safety factor with this type of repair though. :banghead:

Black31385 01-03-24 03:10 PM

I found on this post here, thst it took only 30 mins to replace this part.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-the-fuse.html

Blackmamba460 01-08-24 06:49 PM

Yes I had the same issue with the abs lights. I took it to my local Lexus dealership for the CSP and they replaced the brake actuator at no cost to me however they told me before the repair that the fuse box was also an issue and would not be covered under that CSP and wound up paying 1200$ for the fuse box and labor and that cleared up all the warning lights on the dash.

Sportznuts 01-09-24 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Striker223 (Post 11641850)
Typical. That's why many here say to replace everything, if it's ran a long time with the actuator bad it kills everything else.

From doing a search on here, I don't see that. I think the accumulator producing low pressure is extremely rare.

Sportznuts 01-09-24 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Gerf (Post 11642081)
There has been a few people mentioning that after replacing the actuator and pump they had to replace the junction box with the abs relay before everything worked properly, I can't seem to find those posts right now though.
I would be a little concerned with that report because of the wording " as a first step replace the actuator " after you've already had 2 installed, unless that's a report from the first or second repair shop.

I'd be LYING if I said I wasn't particular frustrated reading, "as a first step" after already throwing $2,500 at the problem and another $2,300 to try the first step. I mentioned that very line to the service advisor and he said, "since it's the first time we (Lexus) took a look at the vehicle we have to say this is a first step, but I am 99% sure this will fix the problem."

Thank god it did. So far, so good.

Black31385 01-09-24 03:23 PM

Just wanted to update:

My car is a 2013 Lexus LS460L and i just received my car back from Lexus.

Error Codes: C1256, C1253, C1241

Parts replaced: Actuator Assembly Part# 04003-45450
Brake Booster pump Assembly part# 04002-07150
Fuse Block Assembly Part# 82720-50081

After the Actuator assembly and Brake pump kit parts were replaced the ABS light still remained on, and they advised that i would have to replace the Fuse Block assembly.

I told them that I would bring it to an Independant shop to fix it as it is not covered. They were willing to work with me and i had to pay for the part, and they would cover the labor because they wanted to know make sure the issue goes away. I attached the invoice with the parts. Hope this can help anyone in the future.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...6bb79d7457.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...5b80352fd9.jpg

99rx 01-12-24 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Black31385 (Post 11642373)
How did you get them to replace the fuse box for you? They told me they won't replace it bc it's not covered.

Because I'm mechanically inclined, hands on with my vehicle's maintenance, and advised them of my concerns ahead of time. I had the problem loosely diagnosed by my mechanic prior to bringing it to Lexus and provided them his diagnostic report. I had gotten the letter in the mail two weeks after the lights came on which was 40 days before the extended coverage expired. I explained to the dealer that the part had been replaced 30k miles prior, and that I find it very hard to believe it would fail that prematurely. I requested they thoroughly diagnose the vehicle prior to replacing that part beyond the documentation I provided from my mechanic. They declined to do so and we ended up at the point where the service manager was forced to mull it over. I was calm, cool, and collected, not a "Ken" or "Karen" as people like to put it. I held them accountable. As the dealer, I expect them to know how to accurately diagnose a relatively common issue on these vehicles, and they didn't.

In addition to that, I got the car back and it was immediately overheating, something that wasn't happening the entire time leading up to drop off for the actuator replacement. They held firm saying it was the coolant valley plate, to which I said absolutely no way, I'm not losing coolant, and it wasn't overheating prior to this actuator repair. Again they misdiagnosed the issue, covered all labor and parts to reseal the coolant valley plate, and that DIDN'T fix the issue! Ended up being a coolant temperature sensor that broke loose during the brake actuator job.

All in all, they covered ~$5k in work while I drove their 2023 RX350. Keep in mind, my vehicle has 107k miles and has been completely out of warranty for some time.

HOLD YOUR DEALER'S ACCOUNTABLE!