LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2001 LS430 front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-22, 09:45 AM
rudytelles
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 LS430 front brakes

while checking my front brakes I noticed that the outside pads were tight against the rotor while the inside pads were loose. It was the sane on both sides Does anyone know if this is a normal situation? TY
Old 03-27-22, 02:08 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 469 Likes on 362 Posts

When was the last brake job? How is the wear on each side? As in taking a pad thickness measurement. Does the wheel spin freely? Normally with no braking pressure the pads would back off a bit so that they do not drag on the rotor. Are there signs of heat from the pads contacting the surface? (The rotor surface would have a bluish color.)

Old 03-27-22, 07:08 PM
rudytelles
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply. 6K since last brake service. I have even pad wear both inner and outer on both sides. Yes the wheel spins freely. No signs of heating. what I saw was the outer pistons were extended but the inner pistons were not. Do you think thats a sign that the calipers may need to be replaced? Im not familiar with these 4 piston calipers. LMK TY
Old 03-28-22, 06:56 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 469 Likes on 362 Posts

Check that both pads in the caliper are moving when the brakes are applied. Mine sit evenly on both sides so there isn't an obvious difference between piston extension. With service 6K miles ago the technician would have cleaned it up but there could be some issue that may have followed. In that case take the car back for an inspection as it will be under service warranty. If this was a DIY or buddy job remove the pads and check the pistons. If there was grime on the piston boots before compressing them back then this may be a factor that is preventing proper piston travel.

Found this video, they did a good job just that they could have cleaned the piston boots before compressing them in. A few shots with brake cleaner is usually sufficient and a nylon brush to scrub any more difficult residue off: