LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Please help diagnose. Major issues after timing belt service

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-22, 09:18 AM
lostmyacc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Please help diagnose. Major issues after timing belt service

Several months ago I had my timing belt changed. to include radiator, water pump and PCV, and all sparkplugs

A day after I picked up my car from the mechanic I got a VSC/Track Off/CEL with "System too lean Bank 1/Bank2" code.
I went on vacatio nand didn't drive my car for a month but when I came back I got an "Oil Level too low"

I refilled my oil and notice puddles when ever I park. Oil color is a pink shade of orange and leaking from the front. I found a youtube video to check PCV pressure and I still have good pressure coming from the oil dipstick hole.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3ppNvofPHI)

So what is going on. What is causing VSC error, system too lean, and my car hemroging oil? Is this a critical issue or can I just keep dumping oil in my car?
Should I set my car on fire?

Last edited by lostmyacc; 01-20-22 at 09:24 AM. Reason: edit
Old 01-20-22, 09:27 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,749 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Originally Posted by lostmyacc
I went on vacatio nand didn't drive my car for a month but when I came back I got an "Oil Level too low"

I refilled my oil and notice puddles when ever I park.
What was the oil level before you added? Did you check or just dumped in more oil.
Oil color is a pink shade of orange and leaking from the front. I found a youtube video to check PCV pressure and I still have good pressure coming from the oil dipstick hole
Do you have an oil leak or coolant leak. Or both? Coolant is pink assuming Toyota coolant was used.
So what is going on. What is causing VSC error, system too lean, and my car hemroging oil? Is this a critical issue or can I just keep dumping oil in my car?
Should I set my car on fire?
Need a scan tool to read the codes.

I'm only guessing but it sounds like the mechanic that did the work botched a bunch of things. Did the car lose or burn oil before the work was done?
Old 01-20-22, 09:39 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 733 Likes on 518 Posts

Did a shop do the work? If so, there should be a warrantee... get the car towed back to them to check if so.
Old 01-20-22, 09:48 AM
lostmyacc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LeX2K
What was the oil level before you added? Did you check or just dumped in more oil.

Do you have an oil leak or coolant leak. Or both? Coolant is pink assuming Toyota coolant was used.

Need a scan tool to read the codes.

I'm only guessing but it sounds like the mechanic that did the work botched a bunch of things. Did the car lose or burn oil before the work was done?
1. Checked with dipstick after car told me to check because computer read it as too low. Was below the minimum line.
2. Dont know about coolant. I'll check coolant level too.
3. Codes are P0171 and P014

[size=13px]
Originally Posted by Romanova
Did a shop do the work? If so, there should be a warrantee... get the car towed back to them to check if so.
[/size]

Yup, a shop did the work late October. I brought my own parts and they installed them.
Old 01-20-22, 09:53 AM
Romanova
Racer

So they probably won't honor any parts or labor if you provided the parts. What brand of parts did you go with? It sounds like you're leaking coolant so either the waterpump wasn't installed correctly or you used something other than Aisin. Your car shouldn't be leaking oil from any of the work that you described.

You either need to take it back and see what they can do to make it right (compare the mileage when it left the shop to the current mileage to show you haven't driven it) or you need to try and determine where the leaks are coming from. Maybe the radiator hoses are loose? As far as your codes, you'll need to research each code and try the different suggestions. Might be a loose pin if they were tugging on the COPs because they can be snug sometimes.
Old 01-20-22, 09:58 AM
lostmyacc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Romanova
So they probably won't honor any parts or labor if you provided the parts. What brand of parts did you go with? It sounds like you're leaking coolant so either the waterpump wasn't installed correctly or you used something other than Aisin. Your car shouldn't be leaking oil from any of the work that you described.

You either need to take it back and see what they can do to make it right (compare the mileage when it left the shop to the current mileage to show you haven't driven it) or you need to try and determine where the leaks are coming from. Maybe the radiator hoses are loose? As far as your codes, you'll need to research each code and try the different suggestions. Might be a loose pin if they were tugging on the COPs because they can be snug sometimes.
Very true. I used Aisin kit and brought it back to him when I got the CEL " System To lean" and cleaned the MAF and read that it might be due to a loose hose. He checked the hoses and couldn't find anything loose. I though that PCV might be faulty as that can cause oil leak. I can link my parts list from rockauto.What is COP?
Old 01-20-22, 10:02 AM
Romanova
Racer

COP Coil On Plug... real easy to pull the pins out of the connector if you tug too hard (or at all). PCV oil leak would easily be visible due to location.

As far as the Aisin kit, hopefully you got it from a good vendor... lots of fake parts out there. Anything from Amazon might as well be considered a fake part at this point. Only order from a Lexus dealer or someplace like Rock Auto...

Get the car up to temperature and then park it over a fresh sheet of cardboard to see how much leakage you actually have...
The following users liked this post:
Jabberwock (01-21-22)