LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Potentially a new owner on a low mileage ls430,what are the proper steps to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-19, 03:14 PM
Riz1
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Potentially a new owner on a low mileage ls430,what are the proper steps to look for?

Im looking to purchase a 2005 ls430. I live in New York. Im a huge fan of this community and been around for awhile but have been just a lurker. Never owned a Lexus. This will be my first time purchasing a car out of state. Basically looking to fly with my wife then drive the car back to New York if it all fairs well. Anything that I should ask or watch out for? Im looking to have a PPI done. I would like to be safe rather than sorry.

it is a Florida car, 1 owner car with 35k miles from a dealer. I know belts and water pumps need to be changed every 90k miles. Do I need to change it on a low mileage car? Would value your opinion, please help

Last edited by Riz1; 06-03-19 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-03-19, 03:24 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 253 Likes on 166 Posts

35k miles? That is awesome. If nothing else just for the novelty of saying you have such a low mileage example.

As for the timing belt, people on here will argue all day either way. My experience personally -- I would change yours before 90k comes up just due to age but it wouldn't be my first priority. I would get the car, drive it for maybe six months or so, and then put a new belt/water pump on it after you're sure it's a keeper and after other maintenance is addressed (does it need new tires? Brakes? Etc.)

For reference here is the 14 year old timing belt on my 05 that was just changed over the winter with 85k miles. Looked almost indistinguishable from the new one going in:
Old 06-03-19, 03:32 PM
Riz1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Peacebay
35k miles? That is awesome. If nothing else just for the novelty of saying you have such a low mileage example.

As for the timing belt, people on here will argue all day either way. My experience personally -- I would change yours before 90k comes up just due to age but it wouldn't be my first priority. I would get the car, drive it for maybe six months or so, and then put a new belt/water pump on it after you're sure it's a keeper and after other maintenance is addressed (does it need new tires? Brakes? Etc.)

For reference here is the 14 year old timing belt on my 05 that was just changed over the winter with 85k miles. Looked almost indistinguishable from the new one going in:
this was done at 29k miles at the dealership. Wow thanks for the pic, looks brand new belt lol. Thanks for the quick reply bro

Maintenance inspection completed
Battery replaced
Front brake pads replaced
Brake rotor(s) resurfaced
Rear brake pads replaced
Power steering checked
Oil and filter changed
Tire condition and pressure checked
Differential serviced
Transfer case serviced

yes its a 35k mile car. This is my dream car so lets just say Ive been waiting for the stars to line up for a low mileage example.

Last edited by Riz1; 06-03-19 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-03-19, 03:40 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 253 Likes on 166 Posts

There's no transfer case on a 430 so not sure what they did there -- maybe meant to key in transmission serviced? Either way, life's too short man get that car! And if you have extra cash when you buy it then go ahead and replace the tbelt. But like I said, it's not the highest priority thing in the world at this point.
Old 06-03-19, 03:45 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Check the history of the car and if all sounds legit, buy and buy it quickly. Cars with those kind of miles don't last. As long as it's never been hit and not asking stupid money.......buy it, or it will be gone. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 06-03-19, 04:06 PM
Riz1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Peacebay
There's no transfer case on a 430 so not sure what they did there -- maybe meant to key in transmission serviced? Either way, life's too short man get that car! And if you have extra cash when you buy it then go ahead and replace the tbelt. But like I said, it's not the highest priority thing in the world at this point.
If i can hold off on changing the belt for a bit because it only has 35k miles then i will hold off. Thanks and your right, its not the highest priority thing at this point
Old 06-03-19, 04:13 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

UL or non-UL?
Old 06-03-19, 04:33 PM
Riz1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Check the history of the car and if all sounds legit, buy and buy it quickly. Cars with those kind of miles don't last. As long as it's never been hit and not asking stupid money.......buy it, or it will be gone. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
I asked the dealer if they had maintence records, dealer said "they did not get maintenance records with the vehicle. Customers do tend to clean out their vehicles of anything that shows their personal information on it." I went on drivers.lexus and pulled up the service history. As i said before looks like the big maintence was done at 29k miles. So it stops there, no history after that.

The service history on drivers.lexus
29834 miles
DATE: 09/11/2015

Repair# 0150183
reported by: Lexus of Tampa Bay
Service: BATTERY - REPLACE
description: BATTERY - REPLACE ~|~BATTERY - REPLACE ~|~ ~|~29833 100 REPLACED BATTERY AND TERMINAL AND CLEAN CABLE
Service: CUSTOMER REQUESTED TO HAVE MULTI POINT INSPECTION PERFORMED THIS VISIT
description: CUSTOMER REQUESTED TO HAVE MULTI POINT INSPECTION PERFORMED THIS VISIT ~|~CUSTOMER REQUESTED TO HAVE MULTI POINT INSPECTION PERFORMED THIS VISIT ~|~ ~|~29833 PERFORMED AN INSPECTION
Service: DISCOUNT APPLIED
description:
Service: MISCELLANEOUS
description: MISCELLANEOUS ~|~CUSTOMER STATES THE PASSENGER FRONT DOOR LOCK DOES NOT WORK WITH REMOTE ~|~ ~|~29833 200 REPLACED PASSENGER FRONT DOOR LOCK ACTUATORMISCELLANEOUS ~|~REPLACE BOTH KEY BATTERIES ~|~ ~|~29833 REPLACED ALL THREE KEYS BATTERIESMISCELLANEOUS ~|~POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE ~|~ ~|~29833 REPLACED POSITIVE CABLE ENDMISCELLANEOUS ~|~CUSTOMER ASKS THAT WE CHECK THE GLOVE BOX FOR THE LUG NUTS AND THE TRUNK FOR THE LUG WRENCH. REPLACE IF NEEDED ~|~ ~|~29833 LUG LOCK IN GLOVE BOX COMPARTMENTMISCELLANEOUS ~|~CUSTOMER STATER BOTH REAR DOOR LOCKS ARE SLOW ~|~ ~|~29833 PERFORMED AN INSPECTION BOTH REAR DOOR LOCK ACTUATORS WORK NORMAL AT THIS TIMEMISCELLANEOUS ~|~CUSTOMER STATES CHECK BRAKES ~|~ ~|~29833 PERFORMED BRAKES INSPECTION
Service: PADS, BRAKE (FRONT) - REPLACE AND RESURFACE ROTORS OFF-VEHICLE
description: PADS, BRAKE (FRONT) - REPLACE AND RESURFACE ROTORS OFF-VEHICLE ~|~PADS, BRAKE (FRONT) - REPLACE AND RESURFACE ROTORS OFF-VEHICLE ~|~ ~|~29833 200 PERFORMED FRONT BRAKES JOB
Service: PADS, BRAKE (REAR) - REPLACE AND RESURFACE ROTORS OFF-VEHICLE
description: PADS, BRAKE (REAR) - REPLACE AND RESURFACE ROTORS OFF-VEHICLE ~|~PADS, BRAKE (REAR) - REPLACE AND RESURFACE ROTORS OFF-VEHICLE ~|~ ~|~29833 200 PERFORMED REAR BRAKES JOB
Service: POWER STEERING FLUID
description: POWER STEERING FLUID ~|~POWER STEERING FLUID ~|~ ~|~29833 100 PERFORMED POWER STEERING FLUSH
Service: RECOMMENDED SERVISE TIMING BELT, SEALS PULLEYS AND WATER PUMP)
description:
Service: REPLACE OIL AND FILTER, MULTI POINT INSPECTION
description: REPLACE OIL AND FILTER, MULTI POINT INSPECTION ~|~REPLACE OIL AND FILTER, MULTI POINT INSPECTION ~|~ ~|~29833 40 PERFORMED LOF
Service: TIRES ARE IN GOOD CONDITION.
description:
Service: TRANSFER CASE/DIFFERENTIAL SERVICE
description: TRANSFER CASE/DIFFERENTIAL SERVICE ~|~TRANSFER CASE/DIFFERENTIAL SERVICE ~|~ ~|~29833 50 PERFORMED REAR DIFF SERVICE
11238 miles
DATE: 04/07/2011

Repair# 0937567
Service: MOISTURE WILL BUILD UP IN THE FLUID LEVELS WITH A VEHILCE THAT SITS QUITE A BIT!
description: MOISTURE WILL BUILD UP IN THE FLUID LEVELS WITH A VEHILCE THAT SITS QUITE A BIT! ~|~CUSTOMER REQUESTED TO HAVE MULTI POINT INSPECTION PERFORMED THIS VISIT
Service: REPLACE CABIN AIR FILTER
description: REPLACE CABIN AIR FILTER ~|~REPLACE CABIN AIR FILTER ~|~ ~|~11238 REPLACED CABIN AIR FILTER 030
Service: REPLACE ENGINE AIR FILTER
description: REPLACE ENGINE AIR FILTER ~|~REPLACE ENGINE AIR FILTER ~|~ ~|~11238 REPLACED ENGINE AIR FILTER 030
Service: REPLACE OIL AND FILTER, MULTI POINT INSPECTION
description: REPLACE OIL AND FILTER, MULTI POINT INSPECTION ~|~REPLACE OIL AND FILTER, MULTI POINT INSPECTION ~|~ ~|~11238 OIL CHANGE 040
Service: REPLACE WIPER INSERTS
description: REPLACE WIPER INSERTS ~|~REPLACE WIPER INSERTS ~|~ ~|~11238 REPLACED WIPER INSERTS 020
Service: REPLACED ALL KEY BATTERIES
description: REPLACED ALL KEY BATTERIES ~|~PLEASE REPLACE ALL KEY BATTERIES ~|~ ~|~11238 REPLACED ALL KEY BATTERIES
Service: SEE BELOW
description: SEE BELOW ~|~CUSTOMER STATESCAR HASN'T HAD SERVICE SINCE 2007. CAR SITS IN A GARAGE MOST OF THE TIME. PLEASE INSPECT AND ADVISE ALL SERVICES THAT MAY BE DUE TO BRING THE SERVICES UP TO DATE.
3240 miles
DATE: 03/29/2007

Repair# 0784059
Service: INTERIOR LIGHT ASSY (ONE)
description: INTERIOR LIGHT ASSY (ONE) ~|~C/S REAR PASS VISOR WILL NOT LIGHT INTERMIT ~|~INTERNAL FAILURE LATCH ~|~RPL RIGHT REAR VANITY MIRROR ASSY FOUND LATCH FAILURE ON RR VANITY MIRROR 812011 .2 REPLACED RR VANITY MIRROR ASSY TO CORRECT
3182 miles
DATE: 02/08/2007

Repair# 0779951
Service: 27 POINT COURTESY INSPECTION, SERVICE DRIVE WALK AROUND, REVIEW MAINTENANCE SCHE
description: 27 POINT COURTESY INSPECTION, SERVICE DRIVE WALK AROUND, REVIEW MAINTENANCE SCHE ~|~27 POINT COURTESY INSPECTION, SERVICE DRIVE WALK AROUND, REVIEW MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE ~|~ ~|~3182
Service: CAR 5000 MILE MINOR SERVICE - SEE MENU FOR DERTAILS
description: CAR 5000 MILE MINOR SERVICE - SEE MENU FOR DERTAILS ~|~CAR 5000 MILE MINOR SERVICE - SEE MENU FOR DERTAILS ~|~ ~|~3182 1.00 COMPLETED
Service: COMPLETED
description: COMPLETED ~|~CHECK OPERATION OF A/C SEATS ~|~ ~|~3182 WORKING AS DESIGNED
Service: NEW VISOR WAS SPECIAL ORDERED.
description: NEW VISOR WAS SPECIAL ORDERED. ~|~PASSANGER REAR VISOR INO. ADV ~|~ ~|~3182 SOP
Service: SMALL SPOT SEEN, WILL MONITOR WITH CUSTOMER.
description: SMALL SPOT SEEN, WILL MONITOR WITH CUSTOMER. ~|~CUST STATES THERES A BUBBLE ON THE DASH BY THE PASS AIR BAG
6 miles
DATE: 10/29/2004

Repair# 0645324
Service: MISC. BODY REPAIR
description: MISC. BODY REPAIR ~|~CLAY VEHICLE - NECESSARY TO REMOVE RAIN SPOTTING AND STAINS TO PAINT THAT CANNOT BE REMOVED BY POLISHING AND WAXING REMOVE ANY FALLOUT ON PAINT ~|~ ~|~COMPLETED CLYING OF VEHICLE
Service: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE
description: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE ~|~ADDITIONAL BUFFING NECESSARY TO REMOVE HEAVY SCRATCHES, OR OXIDATION ON PAINT.
Service: OTHER NON-OEM ACCESSORY INSTALL/R&R
description: OTHER NON-OEM ACCESSORY INSTALL/R&R ~|~WASH VEHICLE, CLEAN ENGINE COMPARTMENT, CLAY BLOCK VEHICLE IF NECESSARY, CLEAN WINDOWS INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR, CLEAN WHEELS, APPLY TIRE DRESSING, CLEAN SEATS, CONSOLES, DASH, CARPETS AND FLOOR MATS,

4 miles
DATE: 10/15/2004

Repair# 0380826
reported by: Lexus of Clearwater
description: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE ~|~CLEAN VEHICLE FOR SHOWROOM -INCLUDING - WASH VEHICLE CLAY VEHICLE, WAX, CLEAN WHEELS, APPLY TIRE DRESSING, VACUUM INTERIOR, CLEAN SEATS, CLEAN INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR GLASS, DETAIL UNDERHOOD. ~|~ ~|~COMPLETED

12 miles
DATE: 09/13/2004

Repair# 0378429
reported by: Lexus of Clearwater
Service: 5,000 MILE SERVICE
description: 5,000 MILE SERVICE ~|~USED CAR DETAIL FOR LOT - INCLUDES - PRESSURE WASH ENGINE COMPARTMENT AND DOOR JAMBS, WASH VEHICLE, CLAY BLOCK VEHICLE, POLISH VEHICLE, WAX VEHCILE, CLEAN WHEELS, APPLY TIRE DRESSING, SHAMPOO CARPETS, SHAMPOO FLOOR MAT

Service: MISC. BODY REPAIR
description: MISC. BODY REPAIR ~|~CLAY VEHICLE - NECESSARY TO REMOVE RAIN SPOTTING AND STAINS TO PAINT THAT CANNOT BE REMOVED BY POLISHING AND WAXING REMOVE ANY FALLOUT ON PAINT ~|~ ~|~COMPLETED CLYING OF VEHICLE
description: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE ~|~INSTALL TAG FRAME ~|~TAG FRAME INSTALLED ~|~INSTALLED TAG FRAME
Service: PRE-DELIVERY SERVICE FOR USA ALL ALTITUDES
description: PRE-DELIVERY SERVICE FOR USA ALL ALTITUDES ~|~PERFORMED PRE DELIVERY INSPECTION
Service: SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN

description: SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN

Last edited by Riz1; 06-03-19 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-03-19, 04:39 PM
Riz1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bob04
UL or non-UL?
non UL, id rather stick to the non UL because I dont want the headache of the air suspension
Old 06-03-19, 04:44 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Riz1
non UL, id rather stick to the non UL because I dont want the headache of the air suspension
Good plan. Someone has done their homework.
Old 06-03-19, 04:45 PM
Trilkb
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

"Discount applied"...hmm...never seen that before lol.

If you got the money and can afford repairs go for it. I'd do the timing belt alone and call it good till 100k then do the timing belt and water pump at 90-100k. Could just do the water pump too. I'm a stickler for timing belt services. I wont daily drive the car until I know the belt history, just how I am. Too much can go wrong. You'll probably be fine, but there's still "probably" in that sentence.
Old 06-03-19, 04:56 PM
Riz1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bob04
Good plan. Someone has done their homework.
im a lurker for over 10 years bro. Finally excited to be able to get into a ls430 if everything checks out
The following users liked this post:
LVPUNK (06-27-19)
Old 06-03-19, 05:03 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Riz1
im a lurker for over 10 years bro. Finally excited to be able to get into a ls430 if everything checks out

Go for it.
Old 06-03-19, 05:08 PM
Riz1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Trilkb
"Discount applied"...hmm...never seen that before lol.

If you got the money and can afford repairs go for it. I'd do the timing belt alone and call it good till 100k then do the timing belt and water pump at 90-100k. Could just do the water pump too. I'm a stickler for timing belt services. I wont daily drive the car until I know the belt history, just how I am. Too much can go wrong. You'll probably be fine, but there's still "probably" in that sentence.
So just do the time belt and water pump immediately even if the car only has 35k miles?
Old 06-03-19, 05:27 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

I did it anyway 2 years ago with a 2004 430 I bought with only 21k miles on it. Water pump too. Peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Potentially a new owner on a low mileage ls430,what are the proper steps to look for?