LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Opinions on potential purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-19, 12:41 PM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't have as big an issue with multiple owners simply because in the luxury car market, owners tend (and I'm stereotyping here) to want the latest and greatest so keeping a car 10+ years is often the exception vs. the rule. 5 owners is starting to make me wonder whats going on, but 2-3 previous owners isn't as big a deal to me, and it's a distant second to condition and maintenance.

I do all my own work on cars and I keep all my receipts/invoices simply because when I go to sell, it turns a "story" into proof. A guy can tell me he changed the timing belt/water pump and maintained it perfectly, but if there is nothing to back it up, it's just a story, sort of the old saying "Trust but verify". If I buy a car, there is no way I'm going to trust that large of a purchase on the word of someone I don't know, so unless there is documentation that something was done, I treat it as if it wasn't.
Old 03-27-19, 01:27 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

The only reason that there are no records on the Lexus site would be because no work was done at a Lexus dealer. If you're happy with that, then okay.
Old 03-28-19, 05:25 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Very odd IMHO

That's all the money for the car. I find it very odd that there are no service records. All Toyota dealers are plugged in to Techstream. I find it odd that there would be no record of service.
Old 03-28-19, 07:12 AM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

I agree. The only records of anything being done is on the Carfax, and that is just normal oil changes, tire rotations and an alignment. I called the Toyota dealership listed on the Carfax and they have no other records than what is shown on the Carfax, which means the timing belt/WP has not been done, or there are no records, which means the same thing in my book.

I'll still drop by to drive it this weekend since it's close, but I'm doubtful. Too bad, because it's exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 03-28-19, 02:20 PM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

Well I've been going back and forth with the sales guy and it seems we have a deal at $9500. This is all contingent on the car being as described when I have a chance to drive it Saturday.

Sort of funny "negotiation" has gone something like this:

Me: I'm only comfortable paying $9500 when taking the deferred maintenance into account
Him: Lowest I can go is $10500 plus fee's
Me: I understand, but $9500 is the highest I'm comfortable with
Him: I can do $10k plus fees
Me: No problem, good luck with the sale
Him: Can you close at $9500 first thing Saturday?
Me: Yep

I'll make sure to get it in writing the total is $9500 out the door before I head over...just too funny nothing has changed in the car sales world in the past 20 years

Last edited by biosurfer1; 03-28-19 at 03:01 PM. Reason: number mistake
Old 03-28-19, 02:48 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by biosurfer1
Well I've been going back and forth with the sales guy and it seems we have a deal at $9500. This is all contingent on the car being as described when I have a chance to drive it Saturday.

Sort of funny "negotiation" has gone something like this:

Me: I'm only comfortable paying $9500 when taking the deferred maintenance into account
Him: Lowest I can go is $10500 plus fee's
Me: I understand, but $9500 is the highest I'm comfortable with
Him: I can do $10k plus fees
Me: No problem, good luck with the sale

Him: Can you close at $9500 first thing Saturday?
Me: Yep

I'll make sure to get it in writing the total is $9550 out the door before I head over...just too funny nothing has changed in the car sales world in the past 20 years
Make sure you get the car up on a lift and check it out thoroughly. Take your time and make a check list of all the items that may be vulnerable(which are mentioned on this forum) such as the tilt wheel mechanism, door actuators, rear subwoofer, oil leaks from valve covers, oil pan, rear main, wheel bearings, trouble codes from OBD scanner, etc. Trans should shift effortlessly. Unfortunately with no dipstick you can't check fluid color. Get it up on the highway and check for vibrations and suspension noises. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 03-29-19, 06:59 AM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

Well I was able to get an appointment at the Lexus dealer that is literally 1 mile away from the selling dealer, so that will at least give me a little peace of mind, even though I'm not sure how thorough a job they can do in one hour, but add that to a long test drive and checking it out myself and I should get a good idea of outstanding issues.

Would have been better if I didn't have a ton of work to get done this weekend!
Old 03-29-19, 07:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by biosurfer1
Well I was able to get an appointment at the Lexus dealer that is literally 1 mile away from the selling dealer, so that will at least give me a little peace of mind, even though I'm not sure how thorough a job they can do in one hour, but add that to a long test drive and checking it out myself and I should get a good idea of outstanding issues.

Would have been better if I didn't have a ton of work to get done this weekend!
I would prefer an indie. I find it odd that Lexus dealers sell used cars with as little reconditioning as possible, obviously, then they do multipoints on other dealers' used cars, and suddenly $6500 of recommended repairs appear on a car of similar quality. It's kind of like being a fox in a hen house. Or say you go in to get some glasses, it costs $x because of a promo. Then when you have insurance, it costs $x + $150. The indie wants your ongoing business and cares very much about their reputation, they won't smoke you with dishonesty...usually.

I can't even imagine a tech looking at a car with no repairs coming, for an hour? Unless he thinks he's gonna do the $6500 of work. Notice how you car is still on the lift when they offer those unneeded repairs? lol
Old 03-29-19, 07:32 AM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

I agree an indie would be better, or better yet, I'd just rather do it myself but being 2 hours away from home, short time line and unfamiliar with local indies and it being on a Saturday, it will do.

Really nothing they mention will be fixed there. I will either do it myself or if it's a big enough issue, I just won't buy the car. I just want to know what issues need to be addressed to make sure I make an informed buying decision.

The funny part is sellers get so nervous about PPI's and while I do sort of understand, it's a used car and I realize that, so just because a button might not work or they find a missing screw on a door panel, doesn't mean I'm immediately cancelling the sale. I expect things to pop up, I just want to know about it.

That being said, if this car has $6500 worth of issues (real issues) then thats a whole different story. Fingers crossed that's not the case.
Old 03-29-19, 07:33 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I would prefer an indie. I find it odd that Lexus dealers sell used cars with as little reconditioning as possible, obviously, then they do multipoints on other dealers' used cars, and suddenly $6500 of recommended repairs appear on a car of similar quality. It's kind of like being a fox in a hen house. Or say you go in to get some glasses, it costs $x because of a promo. Then when you have insurance, it costs $x + $150. The indie wants your ongoing business and cares very much about their reputation, they won't smoke you with dishonesty...usually.

I can't even imagine a tech looking at a car with no repairs coming, for an hour? Unless he thinks he's gonna do the $6500 of work. Notice how you car is still on the lift when they offer those unneeded repairs? lol
. I agree about the Indie being a better choice. Lexus likes to point out the money makers ( example: lower control arm bushings) which are not necessarily needed. However if the dealer is what’s available it’s still helpful if you can read through what’s important and what’s nonsense. If you are knowledgeable it’s great to be able stick your head under the car which a trusted Indie might allow. As long as you still get time to drive it and check every item’s functionality you are ahead of the game. I forgot to mention one of the bigger items...... body work and any previous accidents. Personally, I pass on any car with paint work ( other than bumper covers). Will the dealer inform you of any evidence of paint work or can you observe this on your own?

Last edited by Bocatrip; 03-29-19 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-29-19, 07:45 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

$9,500 sounds more realistic especially if it's one you want. Just check all the common things like door actuators, tilt, speakers/amp, control arm bushings. Honestly, at that price, even if there are some minor things wrong you can fix them yourself pretty easy. The steering wheel looks a little faded probably because it has spent some time outside. That means it will probably have some small cracks in the steering wheel that you'll feel. You just have to see how bad those are and if you can live with it.

Good Luck!
You'll probably be driving it home. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-29-19, 08:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
$9,500 sounds more realistic especially if it's one you want. Just check all the common things like door actuators, tilt, speakers/amp, control arm bushings. Honestly, at that price, even if there are some minor things wrong you can fix them yourself pretty easy. The steering wheel looks a little faded probably because it has spent some time outside. That means it will probably have some small cracks in the steering wheel that you'll feel. You just have to see how bad those are and if you can live with it.

Good Luck!
You'll probably be driving it home. Let us know how it turns out.
I would check color of brake fluid and level of coolant--anything not up to snuff, selling dealer addresses (these are cheap for them). I would also unless brakes < 50% used, request new brakes using Lexus OE parts. If you see the hats are totally rusted on the rotors, then those are cheap aftermarket, get em off. If they say no then I would say I will split it with you Lexus charges
$1000, take another $500 off lol The buyer is in the driver's seat, nobody wants this car except all of us here, so you don't have to act like you want it. Act like it's take it or leave it is fine. Cupholder has one arm broken off? Well the dealer gets (making it up) $400 for it, another $200 off. By the time you're done they'll have to pay you to take it. just kidding there is some point where you can't nickel and dime but brakes, coolant, brake fluid, missing tool kit, these are worth something. I'd check all the 12V plugs and the rear high mount, common to not be working. Look for glass to be OE but if not make sure rain sensor functions. Make sure no door caps missing (I missed it on mine, 2/4 missing).
Old 03-29-19, 08:01 AM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

I can spot body work, so I'm not worried about that, I'm more worried about mechanical things you mentioned like the control arm bushings. I don't have extensive seat time in these cars so I'm not as familiar with what sounds should/shouldn't be there, etc.

I have already informed the sales guy I will be pushing every button in the car, and he laughed and said that wouldn't be a problem.

I got more close up pictures and the steering wheel wood is a concern, not because of the cracking but that is not the same wood, and really not even close. I don't know how concerning that is because I don't like wood on the steering wheel and will have it replaced with leather in the future, but why is there a different steering wheel in the first place? If the old one cracked or whatever, thats fine, but if there was an unreported accident and the airbags went off, I want to know about it. All fun things I'll get to learn tomorrow.

Old 03-29-19, 08:03 AM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

Thanks for the info... question though, what is the "high mount" and how would I check the rain sensor since it's supposed to be 71/sunny tomorrow?
Old 03-29-19, 08:22 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Yes about the steering wheel concern. As I mentioned earlier in this thread I too questioned why would the wood trim be different on the steering wheel? Lexus is careful to have all the wood trim matching from the factory. Is it possible that the previous owner wanted it exchanged at one time because of existing cracking? That’s an expensive choice. An accident can be a possible reason but you should be able to pick up on any evidence of something that would trigger an air bag deployment. I’m curious myself about the steering wheel. I’m sure you should be able to sort these issues out. If not, we are here to help unravel the mystery. Lol.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 03-29-19 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Opinions on potential purchase