LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

new owner question about keys 2003 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-19, 10:15 AM
KarenAnne
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default new owner question about keys 2003 LS430

Please excuse me if this has been covered. I tried Search on key, but it turned up many results, none of the first pages looking right.

I bought a 2003 LS430 a few weeks ago. My previous car was a couple of decades old, when keys were just keys. I now have two master keys, a subkey, a flat key, and a number tag.

With my old car, I kept one key to actually use, one key in my pocketbook as that gave me some chance to recover if I locked the other key but not my pocketbook in the car, and a third key that I kept at home so that I could get a copy made, or recover if I managed to lock both other keys in the car.

My guess is to get the equivalent situation, I want one of the master keys to actually use, the subkey to live in my pocketbook, the other master key and the flat key and number tag in the house. I realize I can't open the trunk with the subkey, but as long as I can get into the car with it, I can open the trunk from inside the car in case I need the spare tire. The subkey will let me start the car, so that's all good.

Is this right? I have the feeling I am missing something in my understanding of how these keys work.

Also, out of curiosity, when I called the local Lexus dealer to ask about getting a spare master key made, the phone person said they needed both master keys as all three keys would have to be programmed. Why is that? I don't understand why they need to modify the two existing keys, so I decided not to mess with that.

Thank you.
Old 01-30-19, 10:26 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

KarenAnne: I recently had to get a new master key for my wife's 2017 GX as she had misplaced one of her keys. The lexus dealer just got the new one and programmed the key FOB and cut the key.

Yours is one of the older units where you have to put the key in the ignition in order to start the car (at least I think that's what the 2003 LS had) so maybe they are a little different.
The following users liked this post:
KarenAnne (02-07-19)
Old 01-30-19, 10:44 AM
KarenAnne
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, the key has to be in the ignition, no start/stop button. The dealer phone person did ask me that.
Old 01-30-19, 12:26 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Nsaldanh is correct. My experience is as I've had keys made for my LS430 at both the dealer and a locksmith and they do not need all the keys.
The 'sub key' you speak of is the Valet key. The key you would give the Valet to park you car but they could not access the trunk. You'll notice you can also lock the I interior trunk release so it cannot be operated as well.
The flat key is often referred to as the wallet key and when original was part of a credit card sized plastic that you could put in your wallet. Not made for a lot of uses and will only unlock the door as it's not 'coded' to the car as it does not have a chip in it.
I've purchased the correct code keys off ebay and had them programmed with no problem. You should be able to do the same.
I would also insure the valet key will unlock the door as the keys get older with use they lose their original cut and sometimes don't work as easily as they should.
Welcome to the club and congrats on your 'new to you' Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
KarenAnne (02-07-19)