LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Need help choosing new Michelin tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-19, 04:30 PM
kaizmauka
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need help choosing new Michelin tires

Hey folks, so i have decided i will not get winter tires for my LS but am looking dor a set of Michelin All season tires instead.
Here are the tires I am considering...size is 225/55/R17

1. Michelin Primacy MXV4 (what i have currently, but not sure they make them anymore).

2. Michelin Primacy MXM4

3. Michelin Premier A/S

4. Michelin Defender

Also, H or V speed rating?

Basically i need something that will perform decently in mild snow/ice but mainly cold rain (located Vancouver BC).
Old 01-15-19, 05:51 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

I'd go with the Premier A/S in H rating.

Check out the reviews on tire rack - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...RatingsReviews
Old 01-15-19, 07:02 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by kaizmauka
Hey folks, so i have decided i will not get winter tires for my LS but am looking dor a set of Michelin All season tires instead.
Here are the tires I am considering...size is 225/55/R17

1. Michelin Primacy MXV4 (what i have currently, but not sure they make them anymore).

2. Michelin Primacy MXM4

3. Michelin Premier A/S

4. Michelin Defender

Also, H or V speed rating?

Basically i need something that will perform decently in mild snow/ice but mainly cold rain (located Vancouver BC).
It all depends what characteristics/properties you're looking for in a tire. Wet stopping distance? Longest Tread life warranty? Ability to take sharp curves with ease? Lowest price? Appearance of tread and sidewall? Etc, etc. There's like a dozen different aspects to choose from, and what's important to me could be totally irrelevant to you.

Personally, the older I get, a more comfortable and serene and quiet ride is what I desire. What that means, for me, right off the bat, I'd almost always go for the H rating over the V rating.

Given your Michelin choices of:
1. Michelin Primacy MXV4 ................couldn't find data easily...
2. Michelin Primacy MXM4................has 55k mile treadlife warranty...wet stopping distance from 60mph about 152'...cost about $179
3a. Michelin Premier A/S V rated.......has 60k mile treadlife warranty...wet stopping distance from 60mph about 138'...cost about $191
3b. Michelin Premier A/S H rated.......has 60k mile treadlife warranty...wet stopping distance from 60mph about 138'...cost about $184
4. Michelin Defender T+H.................has 80k mile treadlife warranty...wet stopping distance from 60mph about 149'...cost about $171

They are all highly rated/top tier tires and will all "perform" above most other brands, but other brands will "outperform" your Michelins listed here, regarding price! Again, it just depends what you personally desire. If it were ME, I'd pass on tire #4 as the rubber compound will probably be the hardest translating into a rougher and possibly noisier ride. Besides, who really wants tires to last 80k miles anyway?! lol

I would pick 3b given these choices. You specifically mentioned wet weather so 3a and 3b should be finalists for you.

Good luck.
Old 01-16-19, 02:29 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Well said I always go V over H have run different similar tires in both found v only beneficial in every way
Old 01-16-19, 06:10 AM
TominPT
Advanced

Received 214 Likes on 169 Posts

I live in Western WA and was facing the same question as kaizmauka last summer- I wanted a tire with excellent wet traction, and was good if it snowed which is rare where I live, Based on recent Consumer Reports test rankings I deviated from my normal brand Michelin and decided to purchase the Pirelli P Zero all season plus tires (ultra high performance tires) instead of one of the Michelin options discussed here. I haven't tested the car in snow yet but I can say the wet traction and hydroplane resistance is outstanding and the tires are extremely quiet.
Old 01-16-19, 06:12 AM
unagijimbo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I got the Michelin Premier A/S H after riding on the Michelin Primacy MXM4. The Premier are quieter and provide much better handling in the snow (which was my main criteria).
Old 01-16-19, 06:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Just my observation. I was in Seattle and Portland late last year. In Portland, OR, I was told they get 3" of snow annually. Yet, I can't tell you how many vehicles had studded snows. I told my colleague who lives in Vancouver, WA, I really don't get it, you guys get 3" of snow, why do people have studs (I had them when I lived in VT and skiied weekly)?

When we got hit with an unexpected 2" and my A/S were on (this is PA), my LS got stuck just parking on the street. So jmo as long as there's no snow or you don't have to drive when there is snow, A/S are probably fine. Otherwise, this car should have 4 snows.

With the Premier A/S? Again, my wife has them, and after 32k, they are down to 4/32. Michelin claims they are still good when worn, yet everytime a shop sees them they recommend replacement soon. Who knows, but I think it's 2/32 maybe at 50k, then they talk you into Michelins again and prorata the 10k you did not get (I hope it's 1/6 and not against list price). In other words, the warranty will leave nothing on the table. Used to be 60k warranty but 80k all day long. Personally, I am suspect to starting off at 8.5/32 and not 11, and whether worn they are same as new.
Old 01-16-19, 07:30 AM
BMWWW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're looking for long-term durability and performance in the wet stuff, stick with a Michelin tire or a tire that is specifically known for wet (some snow) capabilities like a Continental DWS tire.
Michelin's are known to have more (relative to other competitive brands) of their tread pattern remain when the tire is really worn in.
Something to also consider would be to give your ageing suspension a helping hand with a slightly upsized sidewall to provide more suspension travel by way of the tire. So from a 225/55/R17, could consider 225/60/17 or even a 235/55/17. There will be marginally decreased fuel mileage as well as some effect on your speedometer's ultimate accuracy.

I don't have the test on hand where they tested the all season tires, but here's a test for winter tires which includes performance when worn:
https://vanha.tekniikanmaailma.fi/wp...16_english.pdf
Old 01-16-19, 06:41 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Remember my thread on the Premier A/S tires on my camry, I can't find thread but I gave pictures. We all agreed they where shot but they drove great, now just shy of wear bars. I still am driving em 90 miles R/T to work, have some Comfortreds sitting at the goodyear dealer I got Black friday cheap(260 installed) car has 250k miles. They really are good when worn.
Old 01-17-19, 05:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Remember my thread on the Premier A/S tires on my camry, I can't find thread but I gave pictures. We all agreed they where shot but they drove great, now just shy of wear bars. I still am driving em 90 miles R/T to work, have some Comfortreds sitting at the goodyear dealer I got Black friday cheap(260 installed) car has 250k miles. They really are good when worn.
Good news...guess my wife's are going to experience the same, because I can't toss them at 31k, cost way too much and again our thinking has to change. In our lifetimes, I can say I have never driven all the way to the wear bars, now, for warranty, I guess we have to....maybe one day tire professionals will measure 4/32 and say, oh, Premiers, they're ok...lol
Old 01-17-19, 05:31 PM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Forget Michelin, the CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS is better in every way possible.

Quieter, smoother, and better warranty.
Old 01-17-19, 06:00 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Agree - Have had a set on my car for last 35k miles or so. They are super quiet, smooth, and fantastic in the rain. Only downside I could tell is average MPG went down by about .5 mpg when I switched to the Premiers versus the previous MXVs. I'd buy another set of Premiers AS in a heartbeat and almost certainly will do so (great deal on these can be had during periodic sales at Costco) when current set wears out.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 01-17-19 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-17-19, 06:31 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 156 Likes on 104 Posts

I'd go with Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season over Michelin tires. I can barely get 50K out of any type of Michelin tire. I have the Premiers A/S on my LS right now and they are decent but a bit noisy. On my old Avalon I went to Pirelli P4 All Seasons from a set of Michelin Defenders and Primacy MX4Vs and it was a night and day difference. Great performance in the rain, longer tread life and a much quieter and better handling ride. Just my opinion.
Old 01-17-19, 08:34 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Pirelli best versus Michelin best, had both not even in same league P7 versus Premier laughable. Pirellis are fine u want the best spend the money.
Old 01-17-19, 08:41 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

But I digress A/S tires is what I know 25k a year with x ice 3 winter. Scorpions r bomber on my Touareg not P7's as much on LS. Maybe i got a bad set of P7's from tire rack 58 bucks a tire 18 inch older date glad U guys drool over em!!!!.

Quick Reply: Need help choosing new Michelin tires