LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How long does the factory air ride last?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-19, 10:30 AM
Lexuzrider
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long does the factory air ride last?

I'm planning on buying a 2006 ls430 UL with around 115k miles, but it has the factory air ride in it, and I've heard a lot of different numbers on when they usually need to be replaced. I was just wondering when you guys had to replace your factory air ride suspension? I'm afraid I'm gonna buy it and 10,000 miles down the road im going to have to drop $3000-$5000 into it just for the suspension. Any responses will help. I'm just trying to get a feel of how long they last. Thank you.

Last edited by Lexuzrider; 01-14-19 at 10:31 AM. Reason: I didn't include the year, and that might have an effect on my responses.
Old 01-14-19, 10:47 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I don't think there is a way anybody can accurately tell you that. At that age and mileage, be prepared to fix them at any time.
Old 01-14-19, 11:19 AM
Lexuzrider
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bob04
I don't think there is a way anybody can accurately tell you that. At that age and mileage, be prepared to fix them at any time.
Thank you. I was just trying to get an idea based on when everyone else had to do it, but okay. I might just have to bit the bullet.
Old 01-14-19, 11:20 AM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Lexuzride,

I just purchased a 2005 LS430 UL with 69,000 miles on it. The rear air suspension needs to be replaced two months after I bought it because of a terrible Lexus mechanic that told me the suspension was good when I took it in for a pre purchase inspection. Long story short, I don't think there is any real way to know when they will go out. The one you are looking at has almost double the miles of the one I bought and the air suspension is still working while mine is failing. And I purchased mine from an older gentleman who garaged it its whole life.

One of the guys on here gave me some advice after I purchased mine but none the less it is good advice. The sweet spot for the 3rd gen LS430 is above 100k miles. At that point most of the parts that will fail have already failed and the previous owner has replaced it. Now of course if the previous owner hasn't fixed it, you move on from that car. But if I could do it all over again I would have paid a couple thousand less for a little higher mileage LS that had all of its maintenance records to show all the items that had been replaced. I think I bought one with almost too low of mileage so now I get to fix all of the parts that are going out. Oh well!
Old 01-14-19, 12:17 PM
bradland

Received 652 Likes on 534 Posts

When I bought my 430 I stayed away from the UL mainly for this reason. I drove a few UL's but didn't get sucked into the allure. Most of the extra creature comforts are for the rear seat passengers and I spend 99.999999% of my time in the front seat. Rockauto sells UL compatible Arnott aftermarket air struts for $415 (front) and $595 (rear) which might make your decision a little less stressful...
The following users liked this post:
nadeaiu (01-14-19)
Old 01-14-19, 02:01 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I had a 2002 LS430 with standard suspension and all four shock absorbers had to be replaced when the car had about 55K miles as they were leaking oil. And I really did not hit every pothole that I could find. The roads in the Orlando area are quite good. I don't think anyone can tell you when the air suspension will go. I've had three LS460Ls all with air suspension and none of them have had any issues.
Old 01-14-19, 03:11 PM
HauntedKen
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2005 LS430 UL, and its air suspension, is just this shy of 200,000 miles and no problems with the air at all. My UL was originally purchased by Warner Brothers Studios, they used it as a limo for two years. I should also say that I drive a 1974 GMC Classic Motorhome, with air suspension, and no problems at 300,650 miles. Also have a 1996 Olds Aurora with air suspension on the rear, no problems there either and it is at 130,000 miles. I really don't know why so many people have problems, perhaps I am extraordinarily lucky or my driving is suited to the air suspensions. But in any event, good luck to you.
aypues (11-10-23)
Old 01-14-19, 05:16 PM
Lexuzrider
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by leisinjp
Lexuzride,

I just purchased a 2005 LS430 UL with 69,000 miles on it. The rear air suspension needs to be replaced two months after I bought it because of a terrible Lexus mechanic that told me the suspension was good when I took it in for a pre purchase inspection. Long story short, I don't think there is any real way to know when they will go out. The one you are looking at has almost double the miles of the one I bought and the air suspension is still working while mine is failing. And I purchased mine from an older gentleman who garaged it its whole life.

One of the guys on here gave me some advice after I purchased mine but none the less it is good advice. The sweet spot for the 3rd gen LS430 is above 100k miles. At that point most of the parts that will fail have already failed and the previous owner has replaced it. Now of course if the previous owner hasn't fixed it, you move on from that car. But if I could do it all over again I would have paid a couple thousand less for a little higher mileage LS that had all of its maintenance records to show all the items that had been replaced. I think I bought one with almost too low of mileage so now I get to fix all of the parts that are going out. Oh well!
Thank you for the advice, that's definitely reassuring to hear.
Old 01-15-19, 03:00 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by leisinjp
Lexuzride,

I don't buy into that theory. I believe wear and tear from mileage has a bigger impact than just time, especially on suspension parts, with the exception being maybe cars that sit for years without being driven or maintained.

There is a whole aftermarket for converting luxury cars with air suspension to a coil spring setup. There is a reason that market exists. As cars with air suspension age, failure becomes more likely and is usually an expensive fix. You will have people with high mileage that have never had an issue and people with low mileage that have replaced them, sometimes twice. But in the end, if someone buys a high mileage, older luxury car with air suspension, they should be prepared to fix them at any time. That may mean dropping a few grand into a car that isn't worth but $8K to $10K. That can be a tough pill to swallow.

Last edited by Bob04; 01-15-19 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-15-19, 06:29 PM
caddylover
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

knock on wood, 308000km (185000 miles) and rear air still working. Front suspension was changed at 200000km (120000 miles). Canadian car all its life and temps swings from 30C to -35C every year summer to winter.
Old 01-15-19, 10:45 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I just replaced both front air struts at 181k. Bought the car with 65k and the front just now went out.
I was able to source brand new OEM struts for $750 on Amazon. I looked into the Arnotts but they don’t have variable damping rates like the OEM. When my car was still under CPO warranty they replaced one rear air strut at like 67k in 2010 and both rears have been fine ever since. They’re pretty reliable.
Old 01-16-19, 06:39 AM
Gtoutdoors
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

291k still on stock air with no issues
aypues (11-10-23)
Old 01-16-19, 07:06 AM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gtoutdoors
291k still on stock air with no issues
That is unbelievable! I wonder why some LS's like mine at 70,000 miles already leak and need to be replaced while yours with 4 times the miles has had no issues.
Old 01-16-19, 07:11 AM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bob04
I don't buy into that theory. I believe wear and tear from mileage has a bigger impact than just time, especially on suspension parts, with the exception being maybe cars that sit for years without being driven or maintained.

There is a whole aftermarket for converting luxury cars with air suspension to a coil spring setup. There is a reason that market exists. As cars with air suspension age, failure becomes more likely and is usually an expensive fix. You will have people with high mileage that have never had an issue and people with low mileage that have replaced them, sometimes twice. But in the end, if someone buys a high mileage, older luxury car with air suspension, they should be prepared to fix them at any time. That may mean dropping a few grand into a car that isn't worth but $8K to $10K. That can be a tough pill to swallow.
I understand what you are saying. If I could do it over again I wouldn't have bought the LS I did with 69,000 miles on it with none of the big services being done yet. I would have much rather and will from now on buy the car that might have a little more miles (90,000-130,000) but has recently had most of the major services already completed. The sweet spot is one that just hit maybe 90k or 100k and has had the water pump and timing belt, brakes, suspension, and anything else replaced. You are basically good for another 90k from anything major. I bought mine and now have to put money into it.

70,000 miles and on the brink of needing things done vs 100,000 miles and all of those major services done...I'll take higher mileage every time.

I learned my lesson! I had one thing in mind and that was the lowest mileage LS430 I could find. I was wrong.
Old 01-16-19, 11:10 AM
iriz
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Indeed, as a buyer it would be nice to (cheaply) buy a 100,000 miles car with all expensive services just performed.

As a seller, that would be the most stupid thing you could do!

Quick Reply: How long does the factory air ride last?