LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

HOW TO: Single-DIN Head Unit & Amp in LS430 with factory Nav/ML - no adapters needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-19, 11:45 AM
omniman69
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, the Celsior(non-ML) has 4 plugs on the amp. Attached is a pic of what I believe is the speaker plug. What leads me to believe it is the speaker plug is the standard green and purple wires.

Old 03-23-19, 06:23 AM
westopill
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Thank you so much for this in depth post! I'll be doing this soon since on my 2004 LS that I just bought a few days ago.

Last edited by westopill; 04-24-19 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-01-19, 08:39 PM
westopill
Intermediate

So I dove into this project today and I must say, its much more difficult than I anticipated. Mainly the rear seat removal, and routing wires into the trunk.

Other than that its been relatively straight forward so far and without this thread I would be in the hands of Best Buy no doubt.

To help those who are also thinking about doing this, (and honestly I would kinda hard because its a lot of work) I drilled through the plastic piece that leads into the trunk where the wiring harness goes through. Be careful not to drill into the seat belt tensioner though. Also, I cut the rubber boot that goes from the front firewall into the passenger footwell to feed the power wire through. Be careful here to not cut the wires.

Good luck if you're ambitious enough to attempt this install. I wouldn't recommend it if you're over 40. My body is not thanking me and I'm only 24.
Old 05-02-19, 05:30 AM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can you still close the CD door? Looks like you have some padding in front of the tuner ****.
Old 05-02-19, 09:38 AM
edl415
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by westopill
To help those who are also thinking about doing this, (and honestly I would kinda hard because its a lot of work) I drilled through the plastic piece that leads into the trunk where the wiring harness goes through. Be careful not to drill into the seat belt tensioner though. Also, I cut the rubber boot that goes from the front firewall into the passenger footwell to feed the power wire through. Be careful here to not cut the wires.
I also cut the rubber boot and used a nylon fish tape to pull the power wire through. I don't recommend the screwdriver + brute force method - there's so many wires in the footwell it's not worth it. For drilling from the rear seat into the trunk I highly recommend a step bit:

They cut fast and clean. Just make sure where you're drilling doesn't interfere with any of the seat brackets. Alternatively if you have enough power cable just route it through the top deck, there's a few existing holes near the subwoofer.

Good luck if you're ambitious enough to attempt this install. I wouldn't recommend it if you're over 40. My body is not thanking me and I'm only 24.
You made my day! I'm 40 and haven't done car stereo since my high school days. I do agree, even with this guide it's 8-12 hours of uninterrupted work. Car stereo (or car work in general) is not easy on the body.
Old 05-02-19, 09:41 AM
edl415
Driver

Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
Can you still close the CD door? Looks like you have some padding in front of the tuner ****.
I actually shaved the CD door just slightly - a totally unnecessary step but I wanted the head unit to be as far forwards as possible. You can play with exactly where the head unit sits by adjusting the brackets.
My CD door closes perfectly, and doesn't touch the volume ****. Many times I don't bother to even open the CD door since I'm usually streaming Spotify off my cellphone.
The following users liked this post:
MikeFoxx (03-29-21)
Old 05-02-19, 09:52 AM
edl415
Driver

Originally Posted by omniman69
So, the Celsior(non-ML) has 4 plugs on the amp. Attached is a pic of what I believe is the speaker plug. What leads me to believe it is the speaker plug is the standard green and purple wires.
Sorry for my late response. I took your photo and marked it up with comments. Let us know if they match your findings.

Old 05-03-19, 10:05 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Alright guys, the deed is done! I successfully installed everything and ran all cables. I cut some corners, but it all works and is relatively clean. The speakers sound fantastic with the factory sound proofing compared to my old Prius which had basically zero insulation.

I would rate the difficulty on this project a solid 8.5/10. The average DIYer will have moderate trouble with this install. For me, this took 3 days and roughly 6-8 hours of work per day. Thats just me since I spend a lot of time thinking about how I'm going to route cables and such.

I'd say give this a shot if your weekend is free and your ML amp is dead. I wouldn't have done this if my amp worked, however when I took out the old speakers they were really foam rotted. The speaker cone didn't move in and out very well either so they were basically shot and I just tossed em.

Best,

Wes
Old 05-04-19, 04:05 AM
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you still have the function of the steering wheel controls? Isn't there a module that can be added to allow you to retain those?
Old 05-04-19, 06:35 AM
westopill
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 430
Do you still have the function of the steering wheel controls? Isn't there a module that can be added to allow you to retain those?
I've done a lot of research on whether or not steering wheel controls can be retained. From all of the forums and threads I've looked at it seems as though no one has been successful setting it up themselves. However, Sonic Beats sell a kit which is around $350 that would give you an adapter for steering wheel volume control but not Mode control. Also, the volume control from this kit would control your amp gain, not your actual volume on the head unit.

If your really tech savy you could probably figure out how to wire in full controls for steering wheel.
Old 09-30-19, 08:34 AM
coffeeman5
Driver School Candidate

Hey there, saw this thread and am thinking of doing this to my LS430, question for yall....so im doing 2 amps, one for the speakers and one for the subs. What wires would be the output for the parking sensors? So i can tap them into the speaker wires, i will not be using the factory ML amp at all and have no plans on using the navigation.
Old 09-30-19, 09:13 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 253 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by coffeeman5
Hey there, saw this thread and am thinking of doing this to my LS430, question for yall....so im doing 2 amps, one for the speakers and one for the subs. What wires would be the output for the parking sensors? So i can tap them into the speaker wires, i will not be using the factory ML amp at all and have no plans on using the navigation.
The 430 doesn’t use the audio system amp for the parking sensor sounds nor the door chime. You’ll be good
Old 09-30-19, 09:20 AM
coffeeman5
Driver School Candidate

Okay riddle me this. What If I want to retain the steering wheel controls on an aftermarket stereo? Anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-18-19, 01:15 PM
Toyorican
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I have a 2007 and my wiring is different on ML system

I have an 08 gs350 does anyone have the wiring diagram color code i. My 08 wiring is different colors than the one posted in this thread any help from any of you knowledgeable forum members is greatly appreciated
Old 12-30-19, 01:34 PM
dinnerzone
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welp, my ML amp just bit the dust yesterday, spent all day and found this post. This is pretty much exactly what I'd like to do to mine. If it's possible, I'd like to keep the stock head unit in for the sake of minimal effort and that I have a BT45-TOY on it already. Would I be able to use the stock unit with the aftermarket amp? I don't mind tapping the factory harness if that's all it takes.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Single-DIN Head Unit & Amp in LS430 with factory Nav/ML - no adapters needed