LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Looking for your input on purchasing a 04 -06 LS 430 w/Ultra Luxury option

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-18, 08:02 AM
Driven108
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for your input on purchasing a 04 -06 LS 430 w/Ultra Luxury option

I understand that the UL option is rare to find, and has many good safety features. I am just weary of purchasing one considering with more options comes more maintenance and repairs costs.
Can anyone enlighten me as to what problems they have experienced with this vehicle?
- air suspension
- dynamic radar cruise control/collision avoidance
- pre-collision avoidance system
- rear seat adjuster/reclining/massaging rear seats
- built in cooler
- sun shades
- rear air conditioner with air purifier
- power door closers

The dealer said the cost of 1 air shock is $1,100! Is there an a/m replacement with or without air. (can you shut of the air suspension feature if you can change to non-air?

Thank you for any information!

Thank you,

2005 LS 430
2008 RX 350
Old 08-17-18, 08:04 AM
Driven108
Driver School Candidate

Default Looking for your input on purchasing a 04 -06 LS 430 w/Ultra Luxury option

See my post in
Car Chat

thank you
Old 08-17-18, 09:47 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

With one exception, the features listed by the OP are standard on the Ultra Luxury. The Pre-Collision System (PCS) was optional, so not all ULs have it.

Based on reports here, of the listed features, only 2 seem to have any real problems: the air suspension and (occasionally) PCS.

It's easy to find threads here about air suspension and conversion over to non-air - the search function is your friend!
Old 08-18-18, 05:39 PM
Hagar
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

There are those that purport that the air suspension is unreliable. I have a UL with air and over 170,000 and still going. As I have said before and will again, two Lexus dealerships, two good Toyota cert mechanics and an indie shop have reported to not seeing one failure of the Lexus UL air suspension.

Does it happen, yes. All the time, I don't think so. Not to start a pissing war with those committed to believing its unreliable or gong to break or just a need to convince others to change to coil overs.
Lexus didn't put it in the UL for nothing and you do have an alternative option IF it does break and that is Arnott air struts replacements for under $200. They do everything the OEM did except ride height control at highway speed where it would lower the car. There are those who have had issues with the air shocks.

How many UL's were made,
2001 - 31,473 : 5857 = 19%

2002 - 27,033 : 4007 = 15%

2003 - 21,461 : 3467 = 16%

2004 - 31,697 : 1687 = 5%

2005 - 28,902 : 552 = 2%

2006 - 27,000 (???) : 101 = < 1%

Its kinda nice owning a rare car like this. Good luck finding one.

Now do I have a downside to owning a 04 LS430 UL? Ya, it scares me to death to think when things break, it can be expensive and or even harder to fix. I'd like to replace the foam or cushion in my drivers seat. So far, the back is only replaceable IF you buy the seat cover and cushion for $1875. The bottom is only $236 and I got to put it in.

I love the rain sensing wipers and radar cruise control. Won't get another car without them.
My doors auto close. Neat
I added a Bluetooth to play Pandora and or any other streaming device with blue tooth. Works still with steering wheel control.

My steering control up and down went bad, that was expensive but easy to fix. Under $300.

At present I'm also chasing a slight steering wheel oscillation. $126 in parts and a another $240 having them put in and cross my fingers.

While everything else at present, works.

Thats my 2cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hagar:
IchBin (04-25-19), Legender (08-20-18)
Old 08-18-18, 08:10 PM
Davidsofia
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 2005 UL with the PCS option. According to the Lexus owners history, the rear shocks were replaced under warranty. I purchased the car with 62k, it’s now a little over 73k. I’ve had no issues with the air shocks, everything functions as intended. If I have issues in the future, I will probably replace a pair. I like to keep the car as it was designed. If I have more issues after than, I’ll likely covert to stock suspension.

Upolstry shop rebuilt my drivers bottom seat cushion, seems many sag and get hard over time. $200 was very well spent, and I am happy with their work.

Given the previous owner put less the 4K a year on the car, I’m pretty certain they didn’t have the chance to use the radar cruise much, if at all. From the forum, and techs I’vs spoken with these CPUs were often flawed. Chances are if the previous owner used the radar cruise control, it would have failed and been replaced before I bought the car. Mine went after using it two or three times for maybe an hour each time. Replaced the CPU, all good since then. If I recall correctly, it was around $1,100.

If if you are going to buy an LS, set aside some money to keep it up. They’re very reliable cars, but you have to keep them in good repair or you’ll get over your head quickly. If you buy the UL, you will have the same engineering problem I have. Trying to figure out how to drive the vehicle from the rear seat, where I can enjoy a cool drink and get a message. They are amazing automobiles, good luck on your search, and best wishes!

Old 08-19-18, 08:35 PM
RRocket
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

There are many here who've had an air shock failure. I am one of them. Car had about 120k miles on it.

I replaced all shocks with OEM spring shocks from a non-UL and haven't regretted it.
Old 08-19-18, 09:14 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I am one of those who have had an air shock fail, replaced it, and haven't regretted it!
Old 08-19-18, 10:22 PM
Spdjnke
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 04 UL with 68k miles currently here are my thoughts:

1. Pending what climate zone your in and wether you will drive it during winter or not, most would probably agree the air suspension is fantastic when it comes to ride quality, however there is so many variables to the system, potentially can cost you in excess of 10k$ if you need to replace all components and having it done at the dealer.

2. My recent experiences with the factory air ride:
- both rear air struts replaced due to dry rot on the bags causing small leaks. Total cost of replacement $4200$. Each strut is 1489$ plus install, mainly labor due to having to remove rear interior to get to mounts, along with NO aftermarket replacements.
- both rear self leveling sensors are prone to failure, just had mine also replaced, each 479$ with labor and recalibration was just under 1300$.

now mind you I’m afraid to say if the fronts ever failed it will cost similar in price for the part @ 1189$ each, however there is aftermarket options with one caveat which is it will not have the internally adjustability for the sport button option, but the part is $595 each.

Personally i I wouldn’t shy away from buying a UL as in the model itself Lexus sold less then 5% in the UL which means it’s rare as you probably already know. I’m in the process of removing all my factory air and replacing it with coil overs, not for the fact I want to drop the car low but for a basic piece of mind that no more worrying about something going wrong with the air ride and time to write checks again. So in a nut shell, buy one, convert it to springs, conventional or coil overs and enjoy worry free suspension. Save your money for rims and tires and other cool VIP gear.
Old 08-20-18, 05:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I saw a guy on YouTube do a video on air supsension repair, of his E55 AMG and Escalade, then compare dealer prices to DIY. Made me want to not write air suspensions off, but it seems we don't have the same availability to aftermarket with our LS430s....
Old 08-20-18, 01:04 PM
jyates383
Driver School Candidate

152k on my 02 UL, with all the factory air components going strong.I did replace the GPS DVD unit, CD player and passenger mirror. My radar cruise isn't currently working either, but I havent decided what I want to do with that yet. I havent put that many miles on her yet, but based on service history and seeing pretty much all factory original parts in place it seems to be pretty reliable.