Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leather care (LS430)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 10:14 PM
awesomefar
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leather care (LS430)

Since the leather has a polyurethane coat it seems pointless to use leather cleaners. On super clean tan seats would it be ok to just add a sealer (prevent dye transfer) and go over it with a damp towel every week? The manual also says "Wipe it off lightly using a soft cloth (e.g. gauze) dampened with 5% solution of neutral detergent for wool."
Old 05-03-18, 01:24 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...e-leather.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...0-leather.html

Treat your leather according to the directions for your specific type of leather (Google to find your exact type of leather, then Google recommended treatment methods, doesn't have to be specific to automotive leather).

For all leather, in cars, shoes, couches, etc, before doing anything, first step is to thoroughly vacuum the leather with a brush attachment, then use the spot attachment to thoroughly clean the creases. Second step is to wipe down the leather with a towel and a light misting of leather cleaner or light misting of 5% Woolite solution, to remove body oils and other such surface contaminants. It isn't pointless, as using water will be ineffective, and using other solvents can damage your leather and/or coating.

Third step, which works especially well if you have semi-aniline leather (Custom Luxury with the $2100 semi-aniline upgrade, or all Ultra Luxury packages), apply a generous amount of leather conditioner using clear thin plastic baggy over your hand and coat the leather well (using a towel absorbs and wastes your conditioner). Leave to soak overnight or over the next few days, open your windows if you can to prevent fogging, and your leather will be cleaned, remoisturized, and rejuvenated.

I've done this once a year (every spring) for all 9 years of my ownership of my 16 year old LS430 UL, and my leather is in like-new condition.
The following users liked this post:
NewLexGuy (04-24-20)
Old 05-03-18, 01:27 PM
awesomefar
Rookie

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...e-leather.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...0-leather.html

Treat your leather according to the directions for your specific type of leather (Google to find your exact type of leather, then Google recommended treatment methods, doesn't have to be specific to automotive leather).

For all leather, in cars, shoes, couches, etc, before doing anything, first step is to thoroughly vacuum the leather with a brush attachment, then use the spot attachment to thoroughly clean the creases. Second step is to wipe down the leather with a towel and a light misting of leather cleaner or light misting of 5% Woolite solution, to remove body oils and other such surface contaminants. It isn't pointless, as using water will be ineffective, and using other solvents can damage your leather and/or coating.

Third step, which works especially well if you have semi-aniline leather (Custom Luxury with the $2100 semi-aniline upgrade, or all Ultra Luxury packages), apply a generous amount of leather conditioner using clear thin plastic baggy over your hand and coat the leather well (using a towel absorbs and wastes your conditioner). Leave to soak overnight or over the next few days, open your windows if you can to prevent fogging, and your leather will be cleaned, remoisturized, and rejuvenated.

I've done this once a year (every spring) for all 9 years of my ownership of my 16 year old LS430 UL, and my leather is in like-new condition.
That's very helpful as I will be getting a CL with the semi alanine. What products do you use?
Old 05-03-18, 01:36 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

I use Zaino Z9 Leather Cleaner, then I condition with Zaino Z10 Leather Conditioner. Other people use Lexol, Leatherique, Meguiars, Chemical Guys, and dozens of other such brands.

I haven't tried anything aside from Zaino, and I find the smell of the Zaino products to be palatable. If Zaino wasn't available, I think Leatherique would be the next best choice as they are highly experienced in this field and have developed their products using a lot of research. Either way, vacuum first, then clean, then condition.
NewLexGuy (04-24-20)
Old 05-03-18, 06:23 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

I like Chemical Guys stuff. My wife's Honda Pilot has a cream colored interior and I didn't realize that the seats were actually dirty until I cleaned them with their stuff. It seriously took dirt off that I could see on the towel and the seats looked much brighter.
Old 05-04-18, 03:54 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

To be totally honest here..... I've conditioned my leather once or twice in 9 years to a Lexal cleaning and treatment. Our cars are fortunate to have very robust and durable leather even when neglected. Mine is holding up quite well other than some surface cracking. Of course treating it with conditioning is always going to be helpful for the long run. I have a 2001 Lexus LS430 with 135,000 miles living it's entire life in Florida with the heat and sun. Leather is still soft with some signs of surface cracking but holding up quite well for it's 19 years. I'm a slight guy of 150 lbs so no stress there and keep the car garaged as often as possible with a sunshade whenever parked outside. Maybe this combination helps with the longevity of the leather in the long run.
NewLexGuy (04-24-20)
Old 05-05-18, 08:22 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
I use Zaino Z9 Leather Cleaner, then I condition with Zaino Z10 Leather Conditioner. Other people use Lexol, Leatherique, Meguiars, Chemical Guys, and dozens of other such brands.

I haven't tried anything aside from Zaino, and I find the smell of the Zaino products to be palatable. If Zaino wasn't available, I think Leatherique would be the next best choice as they are highly experienced in this field and have developed their products using a lot of research. Either way, vacuum first, then clean, then condition.
I've used this stuff since 2007, as the BMW guys recommended it. When I used it on the LS430, the gas attendant noticed the smell. People say it smells so good they have considered drinking it (Z10).
Old 05-05-18, 09:08 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

I like this product by 303. I use the brush to agitate the product after letting it sit, then wipe down with a clean towel. The leather in my LS is pretty much mint, but my GX needed some work when we got it and now it looks great.
Old 05-06-18, 07:01 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

I would highly recommend using leatherique, really good stuff.
Old 05-06-18, 01:14 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by e60bmw
agreed with u 100%
NewLexGuy (04-24-20)
Old 05-06-18, 04:35 PM
awesomefar
Rookie

Originally Posted by e60bmw
I think I will buy this as my seats look pretty stiff. Are the perforations in the seats a problem? Do you just use a foam pad and lightly skim the surface?
Old 05-07-18, 01:46 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

leatherique for the win, i love the stuff.
Old 05-07-18, 05:11 PM
Damian@FI
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a chemist who manufactures car care products, so whilst I'm not going to toot my own horn too much, I think I'd consider myself an expert in this area.
My LS has semi-aniline leather, not sure if the Australian models differ from the rest of the world (or just the US), and it's important to look after semi-aniline very carefully.

I've got all original (except on one piece that was torn) leather in my 300,000 km old LS and it's in great condition, very little wear and only very minor hairline cracks starting to appear.

I won't link to advertising for the company I work for, but I will leave this video here with plenty of info on leather care;

If you don't want to watch it all (it's quite long), skip to about half way in.
Any questions, I'm happy to help.
Old 05-14-18, 02:26 PM
onthelo
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 71 Posts

We use Chemical guys leather cleaner with micro fiber towel and boars hair brush then follow up with a micro fiber applicator pad with Chemical Guys leather serum and wipe dry with micro fiber towel. It leaves the leather feeling soft, fresh and with a matte sheen no crazy oily mess. Just clean and protected leather. Also protects from sun rays.
Old 08-24-19, 07:14 AM
plexus914
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, I'm just in the process of testing that Mink-Oil compound from Angelus on my old Lexus leather. Has anyone of you got some experience with that stuff yet and if so how did it work on the Lexus-leather?

Greetings from Germany

PS: Car is a 1997 LS400

Last edited by plexus914; 08-25-19 at 03:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Leather care (LS430)