LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2002 LS430 UL -- What is a fair private party price?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-18, 02:12 PM
snipboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 LS430 UL -- What is a fair private party price?

I am looking at a 2002 LS430 UL -- Black on Black. The owner is looking for $8K. I am thinking he is a bit high, though KBB says he is inline with expectations. He is a Certified Toyota Tech, so he knows the car in and out pretty well. He is the second owner, the first owner had all service done by Lexus. I reviewed the VIN, no anomalies other than having the air suspension replaced with another air suspension at the dealer, and the dealer did the T-Belt at 120K. The LS has 160K on the ODO.

Here is what is wrong with the car:
  • Passenger side mirror won't fold in -- the motor tries to fold it, but it fails (says it's a $230.00 fix, or I could take it apart and reset and it may work)
  • Passenger side mirror appears to be discolored -- purpleish?
  • Broken Homelink buttons
  • The telescoping/tilt steering wheel is stuck in an awkward position (owner says it just needs a washer to be replaced in the coupling and is willing to do it before selling)
  • Windshield washer fluid only comes out of one of the nozzles of the two units on the hood. It looks like it should be coming out of all three in nozzles in each pod on the hood.
  • Slight hesitation when driving in reverse
  • Front Cooled seats do not seem to be working or is very weak (heating elements work OK)
  • Some buttons in the back seat controls are in the stuck position or not working
  • Missing some small portions of weather stripping on doors
  • Missing side window shades for the corner portion of the windows
  • Looks like the clearcoat is faded on a portion of the paint on the drivers side of the car
  • A number of minor scratches in paint
  • One large gash in paint
  • Missing the Tow hook cover on front bumper
  • Steering wheel wood has cracks in it below the clearcoat
That is a pretty minor list in my mind, but a few of the items are annoying to me. I think the cosmetic issues on the outside are most annoying. I've tested the car pretty extensively and have to say it is a smooth and quiet ride and the list of things that work and work well, like the Radar Cruise control, navi and the UL equipment is quite impressive. The leather is in excellent shape as are the tires. 8k seems like a lot for the mileage, especially when I could get much newer LS models (though with less equipment) for only 4-8K more in my market).

Thanks for your thoughts. This forum has been very helpful in my research!
Snip
Old 04-23-18, 02:18 PM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

That seems like enough little things to not warrant the price.

My 01 had 120k and far fewer issues. Paid $5,400. ML not UL.

Replacing the air ride could be $4k+ right there if it fails again. Many convert to coils.
Old 04-23-18, 02:21 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

As described, the car is WAY overpriced. It sounds like it's worth less than $5000. It's especially troubling that a mechanic would let so many problems go unattended.
Old 04-23-18, 03:55 PM
snipboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TriC
As described, the car is WAY overpriced. It sounds like it's worth less than $5000. It's especially troubling that a mechanic would let so many problems go unattended.
I am thinking the hesitation piece when going in reverse might just be the feel of the transmission versus what I am currently used to in my Acura. The rest of the list seems like they are minor annoyances.

One other item that I am looking at is that the transmitter key is broken. So, I'll need new keys, transmitters and setup. He quoted $300 for that at the dealer, but it looks like there are DIY options out there.

Is the consensus that this car is worth around 5K or less as is?
Old 04-23-18, 03:55 PM
Neverdone
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Being mechanic maintained hardly means anything. Being a mechanic, working on cars all day, do you really think they would go after work and work on their cars?

that's why I became a welder instead of a mechanic, I still want to have my car as a hobby, not a job.
Old 04-23-18, 08:23 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by snipboy
I am thinking the hesitation piece when going in reverse might just be the feel of the transmission versus what I am currently used to in my Acura. The rest of the list seems like they are minor annoyances.

One other item that I am looking at is that the transmitter key is broken. So, I'll need new keys, transmitters and setup. He quoted $300 for that at the dealer, but it looks like there are DIY options out there.

Is the consensus that this car is worth around 5K or less as is?
Offer him $4000 the car probably has more issues that you do not know about if he let those things brake and did not fix them who knows what else is wrong with the car, for $8000 you can get a 04-06 with 170,000 miles on it in great shape.
Old 04-23-18, 08:27 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds expensive. I'm selling my silver and black 2002 UL with 106,000 on it. Everything works, it has all maintenance done, interior and exterior is beautiful, and all records. I have already converted it from air to coils and shocks. If the car described above is asking $8,000 what should I be asking?
Old 04-23-18, 08:30 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
Sounds expensive. I'm selling my silver and black 2002 UL with 106,000 on it. Everything works, it has all maintenance done, interior and exterior is beautiful, and all records. I have already converted it from air to coils and shocks. If the car described above is asking $8,000 what should I be asking?
$5500 on the low ball offer $8000 the most you could get more likely is $7500
Old 04-24-18, 07:37 AM
snipboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mafpolo
I see you've been playing with selling yours for years now, but you always stop short. These cars are hard to let go of. I think that is similar to how this guy feels about his as well. Hence, the higher psychological price he is going to pay versus what he wants to sell it for. I get it. I doubt he'll let his go for less than 7,500. He'll just let it sit.

I've seen many 2001-2006 models with crazy ranges in price versus mileage in the Central Texas market. Cars like this one look to sit for a while before they sell. I have no clear idea of what the real pricing should be or how to convince him of it. I'd like to get three years out of this vehicle if I buy it, but I know that in three years prices will drop even more than they are at now.
Old 04-24-18, 08:48 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Good Point

Originally Posted by snipboy
I see you've been playing with selling yours for years now, but you always stop short. These cars are hard to let go of. I think that is similar to how this guy feels about his as well. Hence, the higher psychological price he is going to pay versus what he wants to sell it for. I get it. I doubt he'll let his go for less than 7,500. He'll just let it sit.

I've seen many 2001-2006 models with crazy ranges in price versus mileage in the Central Texas market. Cars like this one look to sit for a while before they sell. I have no clear idea of what the real pricing should be or how to convince him of it. I'd like to get three years out of this vehicle if I buy it, but I know that in three years prices will drop even more than they are at now.
The service tech who takes care of my LS called me yesterday, and told me he had a guy bring over a black and cashmere with 176,000 miles on it, but needs a lot of work. He told the guy about my car, and asked if it was okay for the guy to call. I talked to the guy, told him about the car. He asked for pictures, and I sent them. Never heard back from him, so I called him. He said he got the pics, and he would take a look at them. I may just take it to the guy who owns the high end lot tomorrow. He made me a good offer....especially based on the numbers in this thread. You guys are right...if I had a place for it, there is no way I would sell it. I'd keep it, and drive it until I died...the car will outlast me, and I am 50.