LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What's broken on your LS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 07:10 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

Neither mirror will go down via the switch, but they go down when I put the car in reverse.
Telescoping doesn't work on the steering wheel. I bought a new bushing for it, just haven't had time yet to replace it.
Rear driver's side shock is leaking, it's on the to do list.
There is a rattle under the dash by the passenger side tweeter. It's only slightly annoying and only seems to happen when the car is cold. Not that big a deal.

That's it!
Old 04-15-18, 07:17 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
I purchased the d-shaft motor from Amazon for about $9, maybe TWO YEARS AGO, but have never had the guts to do the job, lol. If purchasing the entire OEM actuator is reasonable in price, and will save me a lot of time & frustration & agony, I would consider buying it....then donate my d-shaft motor to a CL member who's braver than me working on the door lock! Do you have a ballpark cost for front driver's side actuator? I'm going to view a Lexus parts breakdown and see if I can find it, along with the part #, that is, unless RWK beats me to the illustrated parts breakdown!

$191 for non self closing doors Its oem toyota parts I paid $280 for it a couple 6-8 months ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AY2S2EU/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1523844834&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ls430+door+lock+actuator&dpPl=1&dpID=41kzpMS9LUL&ref=plSrch
The following users liked this post:
LS430inDE. (04-15-18)
Old 04-15-18, 07:20 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Neverdone
I forgot that the hood latch is a bit of an issue sometimes. I already ordered the part but yet to install it.

the headlights look kinda bad, I might try and refinish them. Overall I think I got the car for a great price, however, I'm sure that none of the previous owners took care of it very well.

I'm off to a start of trying to restore it to better than factory, but it will take alot of time and some money to get there.
Get the bg headlight restoration kit you can find them on ebay for $30 there awsome highly recomend it. The kit has a spray that actually puts a new gel coat on the headlight.
Old 04-15-18, 07:36 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
Neither mirror will go down via the switch, but they go down when I put the car in reverse.
Telescoping doesn't work on the steering wheel. I bought a new bushing for it, just haven't had time yet to replace it.
Rear driver's side shock is leaking, it's on the to do list.
There is a rattle under the dash by the passenger side tweeter. It's only slightly annoying and only seems to happen when the car is cold. Not that big a deal.

That's it!
So telescoping can simply get stuck? I thought it was usually the motor that failed.
Old 04-15-18, 08:04 PM
Neverdone
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Get the bg headlight restoration kit you can find them on ebay for $30 there awsome highly recomend it. The kit has a spray that actually puts a new gel coat on the headlight.
I'll take a look at it, thanks!
Old 04-15-18, 08:31 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Neverdone
I'll take a look at it, thanks!
Thats the link this is what dealerships use on cars.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/BG-876-Headlight-Restoration-Kit/173197599807?hash=item285361a43f:g:lOQAAOSwlY1ZEnD8
Old 04-15-18, 09:32 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
So telescoping can simply get stuck? I thought it was usually the motor that failed.
My money is on a bad motor. There is a thread where one guy managed to fix his telescopic function by replacing the bushing but I'm not sure anyone else has had the same luck. I know I wasn't one of them...
The following users liked this post:
tallcaguy (04-15-18)
Old 04-15-18, 09:35 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

The only thing I really would like to do to my 04 is to replace the top windshield molding in the hopes of quieting the wind noise I get from the top of the windshield. I might change out the brake rotors within the next year or so but other than that don't have any maintenance items coming up and everything else is working as it should...
Old 04-15-18, 10:04 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
The only thing I really would like to do to my 04 is to replace the top windshield molding in the hopes of quieting the wind noise I get from the top of the windshield. I might change out the brake rotors within the next year or so but other than that don't have any maintenance items coming up and everything else is working as it should...
Is it possible to replace the top molding w/o removing the windshield? What does your wind noise sound like? With our ES300, the side window air leak was a high pitch "whistling". Hopefully your problem isn't as bad.
Old 04-16-18, 12:15 AM
BTC89LS400
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

Mechanical:
Knock sensor

Body:
Front bumper needs replacement
Rear driver side side seat needs hole patched
Roof side drips need replacing, cracked and nearly sunbleached
Oh, and 3/4 of my rims are in bad cosmetic condition

Electrical:
Driver side temperature adjustor bulb needs replacing
Front passenger window motor or track needs replacing
Front passenger side tweeter needs replacing
Passenger side rear view mirror motor is stubborn to fold in cold weather
Idk if actual issue or if dealer did this, steering wheel tilts, doesn't telescope

Surprisingly still love this car and would drive it forever if I had the money for endless restorations and rebuilds
Old 04-16-18, 06:48 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Wow, there are some rather alarming things on some of your lists...

My 2001;
Crack in the Y pipe which continually triggers the P0430 code.
Broken hinge on passenger door storage bin
Mirrors won't retract when they're wet
Hood release cable gets stuck if I don't exercise it weekly

My 2005
Telescopic motor for steering wheel is slow, even though I've lubricated it a few times.

That's really about it..
Old 04-16-18, 06:51 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
When I bought my 2001, the telescoping feature didn't work, so I completely disassembled the motor and lubricated the heck out of it and it's been working beautifully ever since. Going on 4 years now..

I'll have to dig into the same motor on my 2005 when it gets nice out, as it's starting to fail.
Old 04-16-18, 06:55 AM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

On my 2001 LS, the top left glove box hinge is loose/broken. 01 has the dual (top/bottom) glove box. I haven't taken the time to disassemble.

The latch on my rear seat console is also broken. I know I could fix both, but they are so minor and seldom used that I just leave them be.
Old 04-16-18, 07:06 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
I was thinking of items I need to repair...whether to do it myself, or take to a mechanic to repair. I'm also wonder what all you guys have on your LS that's OEM broken (not working as supposed to from factory, NOT MODS/custom projects that you need to complete.)

My 2005 needs.....
  • Driver's side door lock actuator (I've had the motor for a year but can't decide to DIY or take to dealer, lol)
  • Tilt/telescoping steering wheel doesn't reliably work 100% of the time. Probably will just live with it as is.
  • Exhaust leak is throwing a code, so I have CEL and VSC lamps on. Leak is from the passenger side exhaust at a gasket.
So....what's broken on YOUR LS, whether you intend to repair it nor not? If nothing's broken on your LS, feel free to comment that also.
I forgot to document...
  • backlight on rear sunshade switch, traction control switch, and front seat heat/cool controls backlight doesn't illuminate, but the transmission ECT (snow/power) backlight DOES work. I still need to troubleshoot.
  • 18" rims are in a terrible chipping/peeling condition. Contemplating my options for repair or replace, but don't want knockoffs.
Old 04-16-18, 08:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
When I bought my 2001, the telescoping feature didn't work, so I completely disassembled the motor and lubricated the heck out of it and it's been working beautifully ever since. Going on 4 years now..

I'll have to dig into the same motor on my 2005 when it gets nice out, as it's starting to fail.
This is perfect! Why replace, if old can be fixed up......

Wish I had more time. I have to do 3 cars, flushing the brake fluid, got the adapters for GM and Toyota now....want to do my rear rotors/pads/sensor on the LS. I hope the M8 1.25 bolts pop them off.

With my wife's 2011 with 71k breaking down this weekend, funny when one realizes the LS430 is the go to reliable car...

Quick Reply: What's broken on your LS?