LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Which timing belt/waterpump combo on rock auto?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 08:31 AM
Neverdone
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Which timing belt/waterpump combo on rock auto?

Still learning what it is that I need for the LS. I'm not sure I trust the previous owners on when timing belt and waterpump were replaced as there are no records.

looking at rock auto, there are some aisin kits, one with hydraulic tensioner and one without. Why do they have this and which one would I want...and why lol
Old 04-15-18, 08:41 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Neverdone
Still learning what it is that I need for the LS. I'm not sure I trust the previous owners on when timing belt and waterpump were replaced as there are no records.

looking at rock auto, there are some aisin kits, one with hydraulic tensioner and one without. Why do they have this and which one would I want...and why lol
You want the one with one with hydraulic tensioner if yours breaks by by motor. The LS430 is an inference motor which means that if the timing belt breaks or jumps out of time the valves will hit the top of the pistons resulting in possible vent valves or worst case a new head of the motor.
Old 04-15-18, 08:53 AM
Neverdone
Driver

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
You want the one with one with hydraulic tensioner if yours breaks by by motor. The LS430 is an inference motor which means that if the timing belt breaks or jumps out of time the valves will hit the top of the pistons resulting in possible vent valves or worst case a new head of the motor.
thanks man, I know what the timing belt and water pump are meant to do and what happens if they break. Just wondering why it is that there is a kit with and without the hydraulic tensioner.

tha is for the info though, I'll grab the one with he tensioner.
EDIT: I just ordered it and hopefully will get it done next week. Not something I want to tackle on my own.

Last edited by Neverdone; 04-15-18 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-15-18, 09:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

If you place an order at rock, make sure you use a 5% code, and I like to pick up all the other odds and ends since I already have to pay for shipping (that is if they come from the same warehouse as the main item, in this case, the timing belt kit). I get the Wix XP oil filters from rock, at least 6 at a time, seem to have the best prices, they also have the sachs hood struts, brake caliper kits, sensor wires, prolly the akebono pads, although I went eBay for those (must have been cheaper shipped with a 20% coupon) etc.
Old 04-15-18, 10:09 AM
Neverdone
Driver

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
If you place an order at rock, make sure you use a 5% code, and I like to pick up all the other odds and ends since I already have to pay for shipping (that is if they come from the same warehouse as the main item, in this case, the timing belt kit). I get the Wix XP oil filters from rock, at least 6 at a time, seem to have the best prices, they also have the sachs hood struts, brake caliper kits, sensor wires, prolly the akebono pads, although I went eBay for those (must have been cheaper shipped with a 20% coupon) etc.
ya I was looking for a code but couldn't find one. I already ordered it. Everything else is up to date now. Oil changed, brakes and rotors brand new etc but I should do a tranny flush.
Old 04-15-18, 11:15 AM
911LE
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 157 Posts

Good call on the tensioner. I just did my timing belt yesterday and the tensioner had some seepage and needed to be replaced. As far as Rock Auto codes go if you just Google Rock Auto discount one will pop up on a free coupon site. Having done timing belts on two LS's I would recommend also replacing the radiator ($65 at RA) and hoses. They are cheap and you have to remove them anyway. The neck on mine broke yesterday when I removed the upper hose.
Old 04-15-18, 04:33 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

from what I read on the forum - most go with the Denso OEM timing belt, waterpump, tensioner kit from RockAuto. The price difference is not that great and you get OEM

Last edited by semar; 04-15-18 at 04:34 PM. Reason: added supplier
Old 04-15-18, 04:44 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Neverdone

Am not a fan of Aisin's kit timing belt....it is inferior to Lexus and, or Toyota dealer timing belt.

See:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/868958-beware-aisin-timing-belt-kit-deficiency.html
Old 04-15-18, 04:52 PM
911LE
Instructor

The Aisin kit from Rock Auto TKT-021 comes with a Mitsuboshi belt, which is factory. It also comes with an NTN tensioner (factory oem), and Koyo idler and tensioner pullies (also oem). The water pump is Aisin (factory oem).
Old 04-15-18, 05:08 PM
Neverdone
Driver

Well we will see how it goes. It's already been bought and paid for and I just received a shipped email.
Old 04-15-18, 05:20 PM
911LE
Instructor

You'll be fine. That's the best kit you can get. You could pay much more at the dealer and get the same parts.
Old 04-15-18, 06:05 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by 911LE
The Aisin kit from Rock Auto TKT-021 comes with a Mitsuboshi belt, which is factory. It also comes with an NTN tensioner (factory oem), and Koyo idler and tensioner pullies (also oem). The water pump is Aisin (factory oem).
The Aisin kit does not contain same "factory" timing belt as was installed on Japanese production line..as this belt is manufactured in Ottawa, IL...and it is not the same quality or P.N. as Toyota and, or, Lexus sourced Timing belt.(The spine is different)

At next opportunity am going to swap out the Aisin belt for a factory spec belt.

See:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/868958-beware-aisin-timing-belt-kit-deficiency.html
Old 04-15-18, 06:25 PM
Neverdone
Driver

Originally Posted by YODAONE
The Aisin kit does not contain same "factory" timing belt as was installed on Japanese production line..as this belt is manufactured in Ottawa, IL...and it is not the same quality or P.N. as Toyota and, or, Lexus sourced Timing belt.(The spine is different)

At next opportunity am going to swap out the Aisin belt for a factory spec belt.

See:

how long have you had your belt on? If I have to replace the belt within 100k kms I'd be perfectly fine with that.

however, if it breaks before then, I would be going after whoever it is that claims mileage. Whether anything comes from it or not, is another story.
Old 04-15-18, 06:29 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE

See:

Why does it matter? Is the non oem belt prone to breaking? I beat on my car far more than anyone on this forum and used the aisin kit and have had nothing negative happen.

Another person who beats on there ls430 is scootymad I will ask him what t belt kit he used.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 04-15-18 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-15-18, 06:43 PM
911LE
Instructor

Exactly. It's foolish to think that a company, Mitsuboshi, would have 2 lines set up to make the same product. If the new belts are made in the US, that's great. If the dealer belts are different then they must be NOS and not new. They could be almost 20 years old "new".

Quick Reply: Which timing belt/waterpump combo on rock auto?