low beam projection

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-18, 11:10 AM
Dafixison
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low beam projection

Hi All,

I noticed that the projection for the low beam headlight were odd on my car when I purchased used last year...bright spot projection at approximately 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. I thought that it had something to do with the way the bulb was decaying, so I changed out the bulbs last weekend. The result was the same bright spots at the same locations. Has anyone else experienced the same problem and, if so, is there a fix. I can't imagine that the headlight reflector was designed that way.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-04-18, 12:29 PM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

There are two aim adjusters on each headlight. You remove a cap and adjust with a flat head screwdriver.

Check one of the bulbs, they could have been replaced with the wrong type. My 2001 uses the "R" (restricted) version. There is a section of the bulb with a coating on it at the bottom to keep the light from going down and being reflected out.

If they put in the D2 (no R), then you might have the wrong bulb. They are exactly the same except for the coated part. I bought a set on Amazon for under $20. Been working great.

So either adjust your aim (one of mine was too high). I cranked it down with the adjuster. It moves very slow, many turns to make progress.
Old 04-04-18, 06:27 PM
Davidsofia
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ll be interested in the feedback on this thread. I have a new to me 2005 UL, and have just replaced the 13 years old HID bulbs with the correct replacement Phillips bulbs. Same 10 & 2 o’clock peripheral vision bright zones. Helps the side of the road vision, but not optimal for straight ahead. Really feels lacking in the rain at night.
Old 04-04-18, 06:49 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Dafixison
Hi All,

I noticed that the projection for the low beam headlight were odd on my car when I purchased used last year...bright spot projection at approximately 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. I thought that it had something to do with the way the bulb was decaying, so I changed out the bulbs last weekend. The result was the same bright spots at the same locations. Has anyone else experienced the same problem and, if so, is there a fix. I can't imagine that the headlight reflector was designed that way.

Thanks in advance
The low beam and high beam have different projection patterns. The US model low beam has a asymmetrical pattern to reduce blinding oncoming traffic.

Old 04-09-18, 09:45 PM
Spdjnke
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 04 had the same issue, apparently HID headlight bulbs at factory is 4200k, mine seems to be much much better after changing it to 5000K bulb temp. However in rain, if there is over head road lights, at time I have to check myself to see my head lights are even on.

Originally Posted by Davidsofia
I’ll be interested in the feedback on this thread. I have a new to me 2005 UL, and have just replaced the 13 years old HID bulbs with the correct replacement Phillips bulbs. Same 10 & 2 o’clock peripheral vision bright zones. Helps the side of the road vision, but not optimal for straight ahead. Really feels lacking in the rain at night.
Old 06-14-18, 09:41 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Spdjnke
My 04 had the same issue, apparently HID headlight bulbs at factory is 4200k, mine seems to be much much better after changing it to 5000K bulb temp. However in rain, if there is over head road lights, at time I have to check myself to see my head lights are even on.
What brand is the bulb and where did you buy it? Mine seems bright enough, but I do not have anything to compare with so I dunno. I wonder if the difference is significant/noticeable if I change the HID bulb.
Old 06-27-18, 12:43 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BCT
What brand is the bulb and where did you buy it? Mine seems bright enough, but I do not have anything to compare with so I dunno. I wonder if the difference is significant/noticeable if I change the HID bulb.
You can find D2S HID Bulbs in many places, but you want to stick to quality/well-known manufacturers to make sure you are getting quality lights. If you're still running the stock 4300K bulbs, then those are probably the brightest ones you are going to find (with allowance for age and usage). You can move up on the colour scale, but you lose a bit of output with each step. 5000K is not a big loss when compared to 4300K, though, and the slightly whiter light is a bit better for visibility. Anything above 6000K gets you some blue tint, but less visibility overall.

~Robert
Old 06-27-18, 07:45 PM
BCT
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dafixison
Hi All,

Thanks in advance
Do you see a significant different in output from old vs new bulb? I am considering replacing the HID bulb since I am not sure how old these are. They look fine and bright to me, but I have nothing to compare them to.

If I know the new bulb is significantly brighter, I will be replacing them in a heart beat.
Old 06-27-18, 10:11 PM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by BCT
Do you see a significant different in output from old vs new bulb? I am considering replacing the HID bulb since I am not sure how old these are. They look fine and bright to me, but I have nothing to compare them to.

If I know the new bulb is significantly brighter, I will be replacing them in a heart beat.
I’m interested to know about this as well. Mine haven’t been changed since I bought the car 3 years ago, so as far as I know, mine are the originals from 2004 as well. Anyone know what the average life expectancy is of the original HID bulbs? And as BCT asked, has anyone replaced an original 14 year old bulb with a new OEM bulb and notice a big difference in brightness?
Old 06-28-18, 04:46 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbodall

I’m interested to know about this as well. Mine haven’t been changed since I bought the car 3 years ago, so as far as I know, mine are the originals from 2004 as well. Anyone know what the average life expectancy is of the original HID bulbs? And as BCT asked, has anyone replaced an original 14 year old bulb with a new OEM bulb and notice a big difference in brightness?
I am interested in the output old vs new as well. Also interested in a HID to LED conversion. LED bulbs are now brighter than HID but have big fans hanging off the back so dont know how that would affect the auto leveling headlights

when adjusting the headlight aim, on the 01-03 models, if you adjust the height up and down with the above mentioned bolt, there was another adjuster off to the side you had to turn a set number of times in order for the auto level motor to still engage the tab in the headlight. Is the 04-06 model the same way since it has up/down and swivel action?

Last edited by RushNatU; 06-28-18 at 04:50 AM.
Old 06-29-18, 12:32 AM
BCT
Advanced

Originally Posted by RushNatU
I am interested in the output old vs new as well. Also interested in a HID to LED conversion. LED bulbs are now brighter than HID but have big fans hanging off the back so dont know how that would affect the auto leveling headlights

It maybe brighter but more importantly, will it actually work with LS projector lens if you plug in an LED bulb. I guess there is only one way to find out, but my guess is it will not work because the headlight is not designed specifically for LED.

I have seen the LED headlight from Acura/Honda. I am not sure if it is brighter compare to LS (maybe it is brighter if compared side by side).
Old 06-29-18, 07:31 AM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

It sounds exactly like you need the D2R. The R version (restricted beam) has a portion of the bulb that is coated to deflect/direct the beam.

My 01 requires the D2R. I found out the hard way because I ordered a set of R and they sent me regular D2. I tried one and it was blindingly harsh.

I had to send them back and get them to ship me R.

Last edited by bloomwcjkl; 06-29-18 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-29-18, 11:43 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mbodall

You'll always find some variation depending on the manufacturer and the items in question, but good quality HID bulbs tend to last somewhere in the range of 2000-3000 hours of active use. That might be a couple years, might be more than a couple years, it really depends on how much you use your headlights.

Originally Posted by RushNatU
I would be skeptical of any LEDs that are advertising themselves as being brighter than equivalent HIDs. LED technology is definitely getting better, but HIDs should still be the brighter of the two, often by a substantial margin.

~Robert
The following users liked this post:
Mbodall (06-30-18)
Old 06-29-18, 11:52 AM
BCT
Advanced

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
You'll always find some variation depending on the manufacturer and the items in question, but good quality HID bulbs tend to last somewhere in the range of 2000-3000 hours of active use. That might be a couple years, might be more than a couple years, it really depends on how much you use your headlights.
~Robert
Hi Robert,
Appreciate you jumping here! So for us who bought used cars, obviously we have no idea how it was driven by previous owner. Did the previous owner do a lot of night driving, or mostly day time. I guess my question is, how do I know when I need to replace them? One of my buddy said that HID bulb degrade very little, until it just stop working one day. So he thinks there is no need to replace them until they die. I am not sure if that is true?
Old 06-29-18, 11:56 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BCT
Hi Robert,
Appreciate you jumping here! So for us who bought used cars, obviously we have no idea how it was driven by previous owner. Did the previous owner do a lot of night driving, or mostly day time. I guess my question is, how do I know when I need to replace them? One of my buddy said that HID bulb degrade very little, until it just stop working one day. So he thinks there is no need to replace them until they die. I am not sure if that is true?
HIDs don't tend to degrade much - your friend is basically right - but I have seen many cases where you get some colour-shifting as a bulb reaches the end of its useful lifespan. Lights that were once warmer white tones can go to blue/purple/pink/etc - that's a clear sign they are on their way out.

Even at a degraded amount of output, an HID bulb is still pretty bright, so you may not need to take action until you see some negative results. When you do get around to changing them, however, you're probably better off putting in a fresh pair at the same time. That gives you two new ones with more similar amounts of usage on them.

~Robert
The following 2 users liked this post by XenonDepot:
BCT (06-29-18), Mbodall (06-30-18)

Quick Reply: low beam projection