LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Found a 2002 LS430 Ultra Luxury package w/37k miles, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-18, 12:29 PM
InToyoda
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, so lets keep driving on the 16 year old timing belt then? thatll be a nice driving machine once it skips a few teeth

edit: this timing belt will be "of age" in two years. that's a long time.

Last edited by InToyoda; 03-12-18 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-12-18, 12:36 PM
zbimmer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I'm competing with at least two bonafide prospective buyers. But the seller won't negotiate with the one guy over the phone when he hasn't looked at the car. The seller wants whomever is looking to actually see and drive the car, which I appreciate. The seller is very open and willing to do whatever I ask as far as having the car checked out. He has pointed out a couple very minor issues to me. I've seen some of his other collectible items, and he's a full disclosure type of person. So he does seem to be honest and forthright. I know he doesn't need to sell the car, but he also doesn't want it wasting away in his garage - his words. I've been looking for a LS430 for quite awhile and this one checks off all the right boxes. I'm just trying to figure out if 37k miles is a plus or not. I've seen plenty of 80k to 120k cars and they just don't seem to be in the same overall condition of this one. But is it worth a premium? Most of the higher mileage cars I've seen haven't had their TB replaced either. So it comes down to 37k TB vs. 80k - 120k TB miles. This car has all of the options that were available when new.
Old 03-12-18, 12:42 PM
InToyoda
Rookie

Make a reasonable offer on the vehicle then since you have seen it and you want it.

when I purchased my 05 LS UL 2+ years ago at 69k miles, my local lexus dealer did the timing belt/waterpump when it was traded in, it was already done when I bought it,

I think if you are buying from a bonafide lexus of "insert city name here" the TB/waterpump service will be done. I THINK, always double check of course.

also remember if you have a trustworthy independent mechanic with oem parts they can do ithe service just as good if not better than the dealer sometimes.the key is the trustworthy mechanic part. this can also save you a little coin in the long run.
Old 03-12-18, 12:55 PM
ahxks1
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

See upper right corner. Also no entries since 2011 when it had 32k miles.
Old 03-12-18, 12:57 PM
InToyoda
Rookie

is that for certain the actual mileage? or is that their "guess"? The mileage discrepancy is odd.
Old 03-12-18, 12:58 PM
ahxks1
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That’s a good question. how do they possibly know? I happened to check my own vehicle and the mileage on Carfax mirrors the actual mileage on my own car. I don’t know how this is done
Old 03-12-18, 01:01 PM
zbimmer
Driver School Candidate

I think that area is where you would input a mileage amount to get a valuation. The actual Carfax report doesn't have that box anywhere on the 9 page document. So I think you are mistaken that there was a "reported" odometer reading.
Old 03-12-18, 01:08 PM
InToyoda
Rookie

the 30,000 miles maintenance states: replace engine oil and filter
replace brake fluid
re-torque driveshaft flange bolts
rotate tires
replace engine air filter
replace engine coolant
inspect the following:
balljoints and dust covers - body (see page 127) - brake lines and hoses - brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs - differential oil - drive shaft boots - exhaust pipes and mountings - fue lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
- fuel tank cap gasket - rack and pinion assembly - steering linkage and boots - transmission fluid

90k service is identical except for: replace timing belt

hope this helps.
Old 03-12-18, 01:27 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

if you buy at anywhere near $15k and proceed to put normal miles on it, the depreciation will be severe. In other words, there is nothing rare or valuable about this car, except for the low miles. As the mileage grows, the value will quickly fall to the typical $6-8k of such cars. Do the math--assume you put say 20k miles a year on the car. Suddenly an economical car starts to get pricey.

personally I'd pass unless you really want this exact car.....others will become available.
Old 03-12-18, 01:29 PM
InToyoda
Rookie

todd is 100000% right. the fact is our cars are already depreciating. low miles is what makes it stand out.
Old 03-12-18, 01:36 PM
zbimmer
Driver School Candidate

So you are saying I should buy a high mileage car so that it is fully depreciated and then it won't go much lower. Or what? It seems to me that is counter intuitive. Don't we always look for the lowest mileage, lowest wear and tear car that we can afford?I think this was a $80k car when new. It's already done a whole lot of depreciating.
Old 03-12-18, 01:41 PM
InToyoda
Rookie

The LS is a very reliable platform. i've seen countless ls' with 300k+ miles. original motor, original trans, the only thing scary about the UL is the air shocks, 1k a pop from the dealer. If you are going to put mileage on it anyway, and can save yourself 5 grand in the process, why not do so, example, this car may be 15k , but another one with 75k miles might pop up for 10k, so is it really worth driving (15k a year average daily driver) for two years until you are at the 70k mark. thats 2500 extra a year your paying for a 'low mileage' premium.
Old 03-12-18, 01:41 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Do ya really need the Ultra package? How many miles ya gonna drive per year? I would look for a 04-06 with Around 80 -85 k miles. Good luck
Old 03-12-18, 01:47 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by zbimmer
So you are saying I should buy a high mileage car so that it is fully depreciated and then it won't go much lower. Or what? It seems to me that is counter intuitive. Don't we always look for the lowest mileage, lowest wear and tear car that we can afford?I think this was a $80k car when new. It's already done a whole lot of depreciating.
I'm suggesting that at 15k the depreciation curve will be especially steep, and therefore unusually expensive to own/operate this car. A 120k car will depreciate slowly from its 6k value, perhaps 1k a year. A $15k car with low miles will easily fall $3-4k per year as the miles come on.
Old 03-12-18, 01:49 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
You didn't do a very good job of telling KBB how it was configured. They state a range from $8455-$12,072.

Yah bro because everyone lives in the same area code so region will have no effect on price lol

Quick Reply: Found a 2002 LS430 Ultra Luxury package w/37k miles, thoughts?