LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

replacing the struts - long story and yes, I am confused !

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-17, 02:53 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts
Default replacing the struts - long story and yes, I am confused !

10,000 miles ago I took my car into my independent mechanic, and told him to put in a new set of Monroes all around, after posting this here...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...000-miles.html
He said then the shocks were all fine and not to replace them. He said replacing them would not improve the ride. I took his advise and did not replace them at that time.

Now, the car has 10,000 more miles and needed brakes, wheel balance and an alignment which was all done and am extremely happy with all the work. He checked the entire suspension and told me everything was in great condition and the car drives great .... which is true. He even reminded me that the struts are still fine.

I bought the car with 90,000 miles and it has only 135,000 miles now and I know the ride quality is not as good as it was when I first got the car. I now feel the small potholes when before I didn't. I need to slow down over speed bumps where as before I went over them and hardly noticed. To me this means the shocks are not working as well and its time to replace them, and being 12 year old original parts with 135,000 miles I think this is a reasonable conclusion. The mechanic told me new shocks will not improve the ride quality and my ride issues are being caused by the overall wear out of the complicated LS suspension .... the suspension he told me he checked again, and was fine.

Here is what I would like to know ....
Has anyone here replaced the struts on their LS after 135,000 miles and found the ride did not improve considerably ?
Any ideas why my mechanic is telling me replacing the struts will not improve the ride quality AND he has told me the rest of the suspension is fine ?

Does not add up to me. Any thoughts ....
Thanks
Old 12-28-17, 04:11 PM
bradland
Forum Moderator

Received 696 Likes on 569 Posts

A few things to keep in mind regarding suspension...

Your struts are of of many components that affect how your car "feels"
Many ppl underestimate tires in this equation and don't consider them at all.
You can test your struts by bouncing each corner of the car. If it quickly snaps back to its original position the strut is ok. If it bounces up and down easily the struts probably need replaced. You can also feel this on the highway as a "floaty" feeling of up and down.

Bushings can wear out, strut mounts can go bad, etc...
A lot of things can, and will, become compromised over time that change how your car feels. This doesn't necessarily mean the struts are bad.
If you do replace them stick with OEM. It'll cost a little more but it's money well spent.
Old 12-28-17, 04:23 PM
coug66
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Good mechanics

You should appreciate mechanics who let you know that you don't need parts.

Even the Lexus dealer told me I needed both catalytic converters replaced when I only had one fail.

So their credibility sank a few points with me.
Old 12-28-17, 04:30 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
10,000 miles ago I took my car into my independent mechanic, and told him to put in a new set of Monroes all around, after posting this here...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...000-miles.html
He said then the shocks were all fine and not to replace them. He said replacing them would not improve the ride. I took his advise and did not replace them at that time.

Now, the car has 10,000 more miles and needed brakes, wheel balance and an alignment which was all done and am extremely happy with all the work. He checked the entire suspension and told me everything was in great condition and the car drives great .... which is true. He even reminded me that the struts are still fine.

I bought the car with 90,000 miles and it has only 135,000 miles now and I know the ride quality is not as good as it was when I first got the car. I now feel the small potholes when before I didn't. I need to slow down over speed bumps where as before I went over them and hardly noticed. To me this means the shocks are not working as well and its time to replace them, and being 12 year old original parts with 135,000 miles I think this is a reasonable conclusion. The mechanic told me new shocks will not improve the ride quality and my ride issues are being caused by the overall wear out of the complicated LS suspension .... the suspension he told me he checked again, and was fine.

Here is what I would like to know ....
Has anyone here replaced the struts on their LS after 135,000 miles and found the ride did not improve considerably ?
Any ideas why my mechanic is telling me replacing the struts will not improve the ride quality AND he has told me the rest of the suspension is fine ?

Does not add up to me. Any thoughts ....
Thanks
The ls430 does not have a complicated suspension I would replace the rear struts and front old bushings, the front lower control arm has a press in bushing that greatly effects toe wear on tires if it is cracked and leaking fluid I would start with what I listed above and go from there.

Your mechanic is telling you this because you have to take the rear seat out to access the rear struts and does not want to do it probably.

Question why don't you replace them yourself? It's super easy.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 12-28-17 at 05:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Stu (12-28-17)
Old 12-28-17, 05:06 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

As previously mentioned don’t count out your tires.
Old 12-28-17, 05:12 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by bradland
A few things to keep in mind regarding suspension...

Your struts are of of many components that affect how your car "feels"
Many ppl underestimate tires in this equation and don't consider them at all.
You can test your struts by bouncing each corner of the car. If it quickly snaps back to its original position the strut is ok. If it bounces up and down easily the struts probably need replaced. You can also feel this on the highway as a "floaty" feeling of up and down.

Bushings can wear out, strut mounts can go bad, etc...
A lot of things can, and will, become compromised over time that change how your car feels. This doesn't necessarily mean the struts are bad.
If you do replace them stick with OEM. It'll cost a little more but it's money well spent.
I have Michelins in summer and Hancooks for winter. They are both in good shape, < 20,000 miles on each set AND BOTH are on 17 inch wheels that are properly inflated. My mechanic said he went thru the entire suspension as he remembered my concern about the struts and I also reminded him to please look at it again.

Originally Posted by coug66
You should appreciate mechanics who let you know that you don't need parts.

Even the Lexus dealer told me I needed both catalytic converters replaced when I only had one fail.

So their credibility sank a few points with me.
I do appreciate his expertise and honesty, but twice he said the struts dont need replacing and I am sure the ride has deteriorated.

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
The ls430 does not have a complicated suspension I would replace the rear struts and front old bushings, the front lower control arm has a press in bushing that greatly effects toe were on tires if it is cracked and leaking fluid I would start with what I lusted above and go from there.

Your mechanic is telling you this because you have to take the rear seat out to access the rear struts and does not want to do it probably.
The front driver LCA bushing was replaced after I hit something hard on the highway and it started squeeking .... the 4 steering rack bushing were replaced when I got the car because the car wandered on the highway after 3 "good" shops did lousy alignments. I am sure he knows how to check the car and he told me everything was dry and tight ... which is why I am confused ! I highly doubt he would refuse the work to avoid removing the rear seat ,,,, I pay him for his work !.

I plan to keep the car. I may return and ask him to put in the Monroes, but I am asking here because I really don't want to waste my money and time with a parts replacement and have the same problem .... and kick my own a$$ for not taking his advise !!!
Old 12-28-17, 05:19 PM
bradland
Forum Moderator

Received 696 Likes on 569 Posts

If the struts are bad installing Monroes isn't part of the solution. It'll be a step backward...

Also removing the rear seat is by far the EASIEST part of rear strut replacement.
Old 12-28-17, 05:55 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

If the struts are bad installing Monroes isn't part of the solution. It'll be a step backward...

Also removing the rear seat is by far the EASIEST part of rear strut replacement.

Honestly man when I installed my coilovers the biggest pain was removing and reinstalling the rear seat and decklid, that was just the part I had an issue with when I went to reinstall the subwoofer cover the clips kept falling in the trunk it was very aggravating.
Old 12-28-17, 06:26 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

My 2 cents is......new Monroe OE Spectrum's will ride better (smoother and firmer) than the OE shocks that have 135k miles on them, regardless if they're bad/leaking or not. It really is THAT simple.

The Monroe's can be had for about $80-$90 each. KYB's can be had for $90-$105 each. Meanwhile, the original Toyota/Lexus labeled strut can be had starting around $210 each. Obviously this is for non-air, non-UL suspensions. As much as we love our LS's, we don't have a collector's item like a 60's muscle car that has 10k original miles. In your case, it sounds as if it's your daily driver, and you want to enjoy driving it again.

If it were me, and it will be SOON because I have 149k miles and I'm not enjoying the speedhumps as I used to enjoy them, I will be going the route of Monroe's or possibly KYB's.

I'll most likely sell in 4 years or less. Nobody will be inspecting the shocks/struts to see if them are genuine OEM, and you're needlessly spending $$$ on OEM parts where you likely won't see a difference, and the (bad word) aftermarket will fit 100% as if they were made for the LS. Those are my 2 cents.
Old 12-28-17, 10:14 PM
Stu
Racer

true if the struts are not bad which is what the mechanic is saying .... but he says the other parts are OK ....
Ya taking the seats out shouldnt be too difficult ... the second time. I dont plan on doing it once !

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Honestly man when I installed my coilovers the biggest pain was removing and reinstalling the rear seat and decklid, that was just the part I had an issue with when I went to reinstall the subwoofer cover the clips kept falling in the trunk it was very aggravating.
I am sure it was difficult. Thats why I wouldnt even try !

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
My 2 cents is......new Monroe OE Spectrum's will ride better (smoother and firmer) than the OE shocks that have 135k miles on them, regardless if they're bad/leaking or not. It really is THAT simple.

The Monroe's can be had for about $80-$90 each. KYB's can be had for $90-$105 each. Meanwhile, the original Toyota/Lexus labeled strut can be had starting around $210 each. Obviously this is for non-air, non-UL suspensions. As much as we love our LS's, we don't have a collector's item like a 60's muscle car that has 10k original miles. In your case, it sounds as if it's your daily driver, and you want to enjoy driving it again.

If it were me, and it will be SOON because I have 149k miles and I'm not enjoying the speedhumps as I used to enjoy them, I will be going the route of Monroe's or possibly KYB's.

I'll most likely sell in 4 years or less. Nobody will be inspecting the shocks/struts to see if them are genuine OEM, and you're needlessly spending $$$ on OEM parts where you likely won't see a difference, and the (bad word) aftermarket will fit 100% as if they were made for the LS. Those are my 2 cents.
I agree ..... I want to enjoy my remaining time with this car. I am going to seriously consider putting the Monroe struts in.... I figure it will help alot ! If I am wrong it wont be the first time !

Thanks everyone !!!!!
Old 12-29-17, 04:50 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 681 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
I have Michelins in summer and Hancooks for winter. They are both in good shape, < 20,000 miles on each set AND BOTH are on 17 inch wheels that are properly inflated. My mechanic said he went thru the entire suspension as he remembered my concern about the struts and I also reminded him to please look at it again.

I do appreciate his expertise and honesty, but twice he said the struts dont need replacing and I am sure the ride has deteriorated.
Stu, are you experiencing symptoms that suggest "the ride has deteriorated"? Often time, the first sign of strut problem is the "tightness" of its travel. You will feel the vibration from your steering wheel as the mini-bounces transfer from the road surface up pass the strut. I would venture to say that your 17" tires played an important part in extending the life of your struts, as the extra rubber absorb much of the shocks and impacts from the road surface.
Old 12-29-17, 07:38 AM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Stu, are you experiencing symptoms that suggest "the ride has deteriorated"? Often time, the first sign of strut problem is the "tightness" of its travel. You will feel the vibration from your steering wheel as the mini-bounces transfer from the road surface up pass the strut. I would venture to say that your 17" tires played an important part in extending the life of your struts, as the extra rubber absorb much of the shocks and impacts from the road surface.
rwk . Yes ! Even with the 17 inch wheels I still feel slight vibrations in the steering wheel ... even after the alignment and wheel balance. I was going to call and ask my mechanic why this was hapenning. Another sign of needing new struts.
Old 12-29-17, 07:53 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
rwk . Yes ! Even with the 17 inch wheels I still feel slight vibrations in the steering wheel ... even after the alignment and wheel balance. I was going to call and ask my mechanic why this was hapenning. Another sign of needing new struts.
Could be a combination of suspension components and struts. Replacing the struts on a car with high mileage will only improve things, there are no downsides. Bushings can also have a big effect on looseness in steering or going over bumps. Unless its a UL the suspension should not be complicated, its the same general idea as any car. While struts may not be "fully" shot you will have a improvement with new ones in some way.
Old 12-29-17, 08:10 AM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by e60bmw
Could be a combination of suspension components and struts. Replacing the struts on a car with high mileage will only improve things, there are no downsides. Bushings can also have a big effect on looseness in steering or going over bumps. Unless its a UL the suspension should not be complicated, its the same general idea as any car. While struts may not be "fully" shot you will have a improvement with new ones in some way.
Loose steering that I describe as the car wandering has always been my biggest complaint about this car from the day I bought it.

details are here ..... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...wandering.html

Wandering has vastly improved over the years after multiple wheel and tire changes and 5 alignments and has improved to just "acceptable" at this point .... the complete opposite has happened to the ride, it has gone from excellent to just "acceptable". Honestly the rest of the car is absolutely perfect though and the only reason I still own it lol.

Last edited by Stu; 12-29-17 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-29-17, 08:32 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

My 04 (110, Sport) drives great but the steering needs lots of small corrections while I drive. I'd like to tighten it up. Alignment done (excellent shop), new Michelins (balanced), good stock 17" rims, correct air pressure. So far, I've heard replace steering rack bushings. Also "front bushings" (LCA's?). Any suggests on items to replace appreciated.

Quick Reply: replacing the struts - long story and yes, I am confused !