LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

9,600 mile. LS430 WOW

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-17, 09:16 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks like a piece of garbage. I would run away from that car...
Old 12-16-17, 09:43 AM
TheTiRider
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
+1 on a flood car!
There are some very strange stains on the carpet on the trans tunnel (see pic #19). I wouldn’t even consider this car without a thorough in person inspection. There seems to be a lot of red flags.
Old 12-16-17, 09:46 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Would never touch something like this....
Old 12-16-17, 10:08 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTiRider
There are some very strange stains on the carpet on the trans tunnel (see pic #19). I wouldn’t even consider this car without a thorough in person inspection. There seems to be a lot of red flags.
Yeah, I missed the stains and that missing seat cover is just weird. Oh well, his responses he sent me really summed up the car and him as a seller.
Old 12-16-17, 10:43 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

I wouldn't get near this car. Seller replies don't make any sense. Wonder what the real story is. Divorce, fight over estate, bankruptcy, whatever and the car got "lost"? With all the interior problems, flood sounds possible. Someone will buy, fix and sell as low mileage perfect condition. I wouldn't buy an LS that hasn't been maintained and driven regularly.
Old 12-16-17, 11:29 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

For me, buying a low mileage car was about getting a car in great condition. Mileage is part of that, and a great indicator of wear and tear on a car. But it is a only part of the formula. With my purchase, I could see from the Lexus service records that it had been driven about 1500 miles a year, every year. The interior was flawless, and the exterior was near perfect. (some curbing on the wheels) The timing belt hadn't been done, but I was fine with doing that, considering the low selling price. Threw on some new tires, and I was done.

This car is going to need a ton of work to make it good. To me, that kinda defeats the purpose.
Old 12-16-17, 12:35 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

I messaged the seller also and politely told him that his pictures sucked and asked him a few questions. This is the first of two replies (the lack of punctuation is his):

Pics don’t suck there informative all works no lights on dash drives perfect runs so quiet can barely hear it left rear arm rest on door panel had a rope tied around it don’t know why I picked a perfect used one for $40 left rear door trim panel has damage on bottom these trim panels r about 40 separate parts I have one I found in California perfect will continue to round up all needed interior parts till it’s complete

And the second reply:

Car sat inside a commercial building since 2004 till I found it in 2015 rearseat has some blemishes my leather guy was going to go over complete interior I just have too many cars 30 my goal is 20 I’m almost there it was 77k new 2 window stickers every part that is damaged can be replaced or repaired I just ordered for weather strips for doors on body for $527 New from bell lexus in Scottsdale all parts r still available new fortunately 9600 miles show me another one door panels were off when I found it had damage to lh fender and lh doors

I've got to think that he's pleased that there are now 17 people watching the outcome of this and that there are 7 people viewing this listing per hour. The bad news is that it's likely members of this forum that are just interested in the outcome...
The following users liked this post:
2KHarrier (05-16-19)
Old 12-16-17, 01:36 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

I went and registered the car over at Lexus Drivers. Here is the history of the car that's available in the database. It's interesting to note that the more comprehensive 15K service was performed when the car only had 5642 miles on it. The other thing to note is that the car had a record at 6258 miles on October 16, 2002 due to a check engine light and the next, and last, record is reported at 6260 miles (two miles later???) on July 18, 2008. This record talks about hoist time requested by a law firm. What's interesting is that according to the vehicle history report available over on his eBay page, the accident occurred in March 2004. So I'm thinking that the mileage reported at the dealership for the last record might be incorrect.

It's obvious that there was some type of litigation going on here that might have been the reason for the car not moving. I'm curious as to how many miles the current owner has put on the car since he acquired it back in 2015...

SERVICE HISTORY
SERVICE HISTORY FOR: SLEEPY
VIN: JTHBN30FX10003858

6260 MILES
DATE: 07/18/2008

REPAIR# 0087744
REPORTED BY: Meade Lexus of Lakeside
SERVICE: HOIST TIME FOR ACCIDENT INSPECTION HOIST TIME
DESCRIPTION: HOIST TIME FOR ACCIDENT INSPECTION HOIST TIME ~ ~CUSTOMER STATES INSPECTION FOR DAMAGE ~ ~ACCIDENT INSPECTION ~ ~HOIST TIME FOR ACCIDENT INSPECTION HOIST TIME VEHICLE TOWED OVER ON 7/17/08 3:00PM BY BOWMAN AND BROOKE LAW FIRM FOR AN ACCIDENT INSPECTION BOWMAN AND BROOKE ARE RESPONSIABLE FOR THIS REPAIR ORDER REF # 717 MATTER #73408 ATTN ALISON RICHARDSON 50 WEST BIG

6258 MILES
DATE: 10/16/2002

REPAIR# 0032151
SERVICE: (SUB CPU)
DESCRIPTION:
SERVICE: TSB TSB
DESCRIPTION: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON TECH026

6242 MILES
DATE: 10/14/2002

REPAIR# 0032048
SERVICE:
DESCRIPTION: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON WILL HAVE TO UPDATE COMPUTER. UNABLE TO DO SO AT THIS TIME. WILL NEED TO RESCHEDULE REPAIRS PROPERLY COMPLETED AND CHECKED BY DON WEAVER M162454

5642 MILES
DATE: 07/10/2002

REPAIR# 0028977
SERVICE:
DESCRIPTION: 15000 MILE SERVICE

1568 MILES
DATE: 03/16/2001

REPAIR# 0016296
SERVICE:
DESCRIPTION: 1,000 MILE SERVICE

2 MILES
DATE: 10/17/2000

REPAIR# 0013221
SERVICE:
DESCRIPTION: PRE-DELIVERY SERVICE FOR USA INS REPAIRS PROPERLY COMPLETED AND CHECKED BY DON WEAVER M162454
SERVICE: INSTALL LEXUS PHONE MIKE MOCZADLO M130195
Old 12-16-17, 02:48 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I would not want to own that car regardless of price.
Old 12-16-17, 07:40 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
I went and registered the car over at Lexus Drivers. Here is the history of the car that's available in the database. It's interesting to note that the more comprehensive 15K service was performed when the car only had 5642 miles on it. The other thing to note is that the car had a record at 6258 miles on October 16, 2002 due to a check engine light and the next, and last, record is reported at 6260 miles (two miles later???) on July 18, 2008. This record talks about hoist time requested by a law firm. What's interesting is that according to the vehicle history report available over on his eBay page, the accident occurred in March 2004. So I'm thinking that the mileage reported at the dealership for the last record might be incorrect.

It's obvious that there was some type of litigation going on here that might have been the reason for the car not moving. I'm curious as to how many miles the current owner has put on the car since he acquired it back in 2015...

SERVICE HISTORY
SERVICE HISTORY FOR: SLEEPY
VIN: JTHBN30FX10003858

6260 MILES
DATE: 07/18/2008

REPAIR# 0087744
SERVICE: HOIST TIME FOR ACCIDENT INSPECTION HOIST TIME
DESCRIPTION: HOIST TIME FOR ACCIDENT INSPECTION HOIST TIME ~ ~CUSTOMER STATES INSPECTION FOR DAMAGE ~ ~ACCIDENT INSPECTION ~ ~HOIST TIME FOR ACCIDENT INSPECTION HOIST TIME VEHICLE TOWED OVER ON 7/17/08 3:00PM BY BOWMAN AND BROOKE LAW FIRM FOR AN ACCIDENT INSPECTION BOWMAN AND BROOKE ARE RESPONSIABLE FOR THIS REPAIR ORDER REF # 717 MATTER #73408 ATTN ALISON RICHARDSON 50 WEST BIG

6258 MILES
DATE: 10/16/2002

REPAIR# 0032151
SERVICE: (SUB CPU)
DESCRIPTION:
SERVICE: TSB TSB
DESCRIPTION: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON TECH026

6242 MILES
DATE: 10/14/2002

REPAIR# 0032048
SERVICE:
DESCRIPTION: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON WILL HAVE TO UPDATE COMPUTER. UNABLE TO DO SO AT THIS TIME. WILL NEED TO RESCHEDULE REPAIRS PROPERLY COMPLETED AND CHECKED BY DON WEAVER M162454

5642 MILES
DATE: 07/10/2002

REPAIR# 0028977
SERVICE:
DESCRIPTION: 15000 MILE SERVICE

1568 MILES
DATE: 03/16/2001

REPAIR# 0016296
SERVICE:
DESCRIPTION: 1,000 MILE SERVICE

2 MILES
DATE: 10/17/2000

REPAIR# 0013221
SERVICE:
DESCRIPTION: PRE-DELIVERY SERVICE FOR USA INS REPAIRS PROPERLY COMPLETED AND CHECKED BY DON WEAVER M162454
SERVICE: INSTALL LEXUS PHONE MIKE MOCZADLO M130195
It is possible to roll back digital odometers so maybe the car was involved in a crime dwi or something like that, that's why the lawyers firm is involved.
Old 12-16-17, 10:40 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

how can a digital odometer be rolled back?
Old 12-16-17, 10:51 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
how can a digital odometer be rolled back?
The techs scan tools that they have at the dealerships it's very hard to do but it can be done.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 12-16-17 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-17-17, 05:51 AM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Bowman and Brooke is a products liability defense firm. They are trial lawyers with a particular expertise in defending large companies in "bet the farm" litigation (based on their website) in the automotive space. Their clients can be large automobile companies (OEMs and suppliers) who are defending against lawsuits alleging damages caused by design or manufacturing issues. The intent of some of these suits is to obtain class action status. As such, significant resources may be used to defend these cases.

As part of this practice, cars may be obtained (from insurance companies, manufacturers, dealers, original litigants, etc) and preserved as part of the litigation process. In some cases, they may be stored for extended periods of time while the litigation, including appeals, are pending. All that said and keeping in mind that this is just a theory based on publicly available information:

1. It appears the car may have been involved in an incident that resulted in a products liability lawsuit. Lear or one of their related companies or subsidiaries may have been involved in a lawsuit that Bowman and Brooke defended.

2. The missing parts could have been removed because they were the subject of the alleged defects or were removed to get to the subject of the proposed defects. Based on the responses from the seller, he may be obtaining used parts to replace those missing.

3. I believe that Lear supplies mainly interior parts rather than drive train parts. If so, the engine and transmission may be intact. The lawsuit may have been frivolous or had no merit. In that case, there may have been nothing wrong with the car. After replacing the missing parts, you would have a low mileage 2001 LS430 UL that had been sitting and deteriorating. Potential issues and costs of replacing parts, fluids and other items are well known and frequently discussed in this forum.

4. This would explain the extended storage in a Lear warehouse.

Just a theory based on the facts. Hope it helps an interested party decide whether to make an offer and arrive at a fair price..

Last edited by LS430Lexus; 12-17-17 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-17-17, 06:26 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Originally Posted by sgretchko
Bowman and Brooke is a products liability defense firm. They are trial lawyers with a particular expertise in defending large companies in "bet the farm" litigation (based on their website) in the automotive space. Their clients can be large automobile companies (OEMs and suppliers) who are defending against lawsuits alleging damages caused by design or manufacturing issues. The intent of some of these suits is to obtain class action status. As such, significant resources may be used to defend these cases.

As part of this practice, cars may be obtained (from insurance companies, manufacturers, dealers, original litigants, etc) and preserved as part of the litigation process. In some cases, they may be stored for extended periods of time while the litigation, including appeals, are pending. All that said and keeping in mind that this is just a theory based on publicly available information:

1. It appears the car may have been involved in an incident that resulted in a products liability lawsuit. Lear or one of their related companies or subsidiaries may have been involved in a lawsuit that Bowman and Brooke defended.

2. The missing parts could have been removed because they were the subject of the alleged defects or were removed to get to the subject of the proposed defects. Based on the responses from the seller, he may be obtaining used parts to replace those missing.

3. I believe that Lear supplies mainly interior parts rather than drive train parts. If so, the engine and transmission may be intact. The lawsuit may have been frivolous or had no merit. In that case, there may have been nothing wrong with the car. After replacing the missing parts, you would have a low mileage 2001 LS430 UL that had been sitting and deteriorating. Potential issues and costs of replacing parts, fluids and other items are well known and frequently discussed in this forum.

4. This would explain the extended storage in a Lear warehouse.

Just a theory based on the facts. Hope it helps an interested party decide whether to make an offer and arrive at a fair price..
A most interesting and rational theory. For the right price, I think that this will be a fine car for somebody someday but it won't be anywhere near what the seller wants for it. He would have been much better off not listing the car until he had everything back together again.
Old 12-17-17, 06:33 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Wow... This is becoming a great discussion... Here's where I would have stuck the smiley face eating popcorn.... Unfortunately, we don't have one of those...

Last edited by 2KHarrier; 12-17-17 at 06:43 AM.

Quick Reply: 9,600 mile. LS430 WOW